Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in the latest macOS Sierra beta appears to have fixed a common issue where transferring files to an external hard drive or SSD connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port caused the new MacBook Pro to crash for some users.

time-machine-2016-macbook-pro.jpg

MacRumors forum member Dave Miles claims he received an email response from Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi, who apologized for the inconvenience and confirmed the issue has been fixed in the fifth macOS 10.12.2 beta seeded to developers and public testers on Monday.

While we have not been able to verify the authenticity of the email beyond a reasonable doubt, the issue does appear to be fixed regardless.

At least a half-dozen users claim the fifth beta of macOS 10.12.2 addresses the crashing issues, which most often affected users backing up their new MacBook Pro to an external drive with Time Machine using a wired connection. Some users also reported crashing issues when transferring files between two external drives.

MacRumors forum member TreadEverSoLightly succinctly described the dilemma that a number of other users faced:
I'm already on my 2nd MacBook Pro. Picked up last Wednesday and swapped it for another model 2 days later after experiencing crashing while my laptop backs up via Time Machine to an external HD. Computer freezes up during data transfer and refuses to acknowledge my inputs. Then crashes and restarts itself.
It is unclear what the underlying problem was, with some users speculating it could have been related to USB driver, firmware, or software issues. Others believe large file transfers contributed to the problem. Ultimately, what matters the most is the issue now appears to be resolved.

MacRumors forum member saba01 is one of several users who delivered the good news today following weeks of complaints:
I had the same issue. My MacBook Pro crashed when transferring large files (over 4TB). I installed macOS 10.12.2 and the problem is solved! Yesterday I did a 40TB backup with no problems at all!
macOS Sierra 10.2.2 will likely be publicly released as a free software update later this month following completion of beta testing.

Article Link: macOS 10.12.2 Fixes Time Machine Backup Crashing Issue on New MacBook Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: MareLuce

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Inb4 an apologist chimes in about haterz posting about how bad apple qa is these days.

Thing is...if they didn't make it so easy this would be harder. The graphics bug associated with say adobe use...lets give them that. Maybe they ddn't have a license to burn, early x-mas present I will give. This, this....they control and code. And its kind of a feature you'd assume would be tested in pre-release. I mean its not like NTbackup which most don't even use or possibly know of. And M$ doesn't go out it way o say its there. Hell even finding it and setting up is some work. Its a headlined feature of the OS.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Seems like it's a fundamentally good laptop, just needs the software issues ironing out. That being said, it's not competitive for price at all and it's not a 'pro' laptop. Can we have a new Mac Pro yet? I'm not gonna drop £8k on 3 year old dog **** hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Can't wait for the people complaining about these new MBP having issues right after release. As if newly designed Apple products have never had issues for the first few months...

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
A 40TB backup?!

time machine can be spec'd to see NAS. And yes NAS can get that large, larger even. Now why they are using TM for NAS backup no clue. Most NAS has their own stuff or there is nice 3rd party options mild to wild for this. Their 4 tb issue I could see. that 40 tb one....not sure what the hell is going there.

Reactions: vjl323

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
These new mbp are having a lot of problems. Doesn't matter cuz I don't be getting it lol

Reactions: Demo Kit

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
MacRumors should reduce the number of posts on the new MBP by reporting only the good news about it.
MacRumors uses this to get views. Looking back to 2006-10 when I went by different profile name, it took weeks and months for bugs to make the news (if they bothered to report it at all).
This is making the site money now. A random person can drop his iPhone on the ground, claim the iPhone 7 are prone to screen damage, and the story will be on the front page in minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.