Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Thank you! I‘m happy to try it tomorrow.
For now I‘m impressed with what Opencore and spoofing can do.
My MBP5,2 doesn‘t boot BS yet though, and I‘ll repeat the installation anyway.
jackluke, observations I‘ll also send only tomorrow. Thanks!

To boot Bigsur after install remove the spoofing from opencore config.plist

while to use Legacy IOUSB you need some manual editing of those files I posted, and to do that you need a bootable Catalina from where you can easily mount the Preboot.

Through usbopencore legacy usb and telemetry plugin are already fixed after those Preboot com.apple.boot.plist modification.

But the BigSur recovery can't work yet because of Legacy USB.

johncaling40

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
I installed Big Sur using the method in Gameroof's video. After I signed into iCloud, Big Sur just randomly logs me offer after barley 3-5 seconds on the desktop. Any ideas on how to fix?

Reactions: TimothyR734

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
A quick report on my first attempts for BS on vintage hardware:

For some reason, the inclusion of hax.dylib with "launchctl setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD/Hax.dylib" does not comply with the launchctl syntax, it complained about missing argument. So I tried to insert a blank space between $PWD and /Hax.dylib", which seemed to work - but then the installer threw error 3 on whatever volume I tried to install to.
I finally found "setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD /Users/User\ 1/Hax.dylib" to work (where User1 is my test account that I used on Catalina).
I could then install the BS beta to an APFS container on my MacBook Air 4,1 (2011).

Result: Of course un-accelerated (due to HD3000 GPU), still without wifi (have not patched it) and strangely also no sound hardware found/usable?! On the other hand, Facetime and the built-in camera work out of the box.
Crashes upon clicking menu bar items (other than spotlight!) can be vastly reduced by setting "reduce transparency" checkmark in accessibility settings / display.

Also to be noted: CCC cannot clone a bootable APFS system to APFS volume, so I first tried to clone to HFS+ which technically worked (running the process on Catalina and CCC 5.1.8) , but failed to boot afterwards with "process xyz created too many corpses" errors. I retried with disk utility (restore function), and that worked even on a HDD as a target (still in BS no SSDs required). This can be booted now via USB externally...

...but not yet on my MB5,2 - due to the missing USB injector, of course.
So a quick swap of the external drive to the internal bay brought me a step closer to booting:
But despite deleting/renaming the telemetry plugin, I still get KPs shortly before logging in. I suspect that I´ll have to also delete the NVDAStartup or other NVIDIA related kexts, which is what I´ll try now. (I know that after booting I cannot login or use mouse/kbd without the USB injector). One step at a time. ;-)

edit:
Deleting NVDAStartup for that machine worked, I have reached the login window now on MB5,2.

Last edited:

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
A quick report on my first attempts for BS on vintage hardware:

Also to be noted: CCC cannot clone a bootable APFS system to APFS volume, so I first tried to clone to HFS+ which technically worked (running the process on Catalina and CCC 5.1.8) , but failed to boot afterwards with "process xyz created too many corpses" errors. I retried with disk utility (restore function), and that worked even on a HDD as a target (still in BS no SSDs required). This can be booted now via USB externally...
Have you updated CCC to the current version? Latest version is: 5.1.19. It does allow APFS to APFS cloning. I used it yesterday without any problems.

MacHacJac

Suspended
Jun 28, 2020
When I try to install the beta update using the steps MacGuy2020 used, I get this error message:
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.54.23 PM.png

How can I fix this???

P.S. I'm so glad there are so many dedicated individuals here trying to make Big Sur work on old Macs. I truly applaud everyone here!

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
When I try to install the beta update using the steps MacGuy2020 used, I get this error message:
View attachment 928820
How can I fix this???

P.S. I'm so glad there are so many dedicated individuals here trying to make Big Sur work on old Macs. I truly applaud everyone here!
Seems that hax.dylib does not do the job.
See post 1103, perhaps that helps.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Hi all
I'm going out of context a little bit but following my message #838
Regarding the HDD and SSD icons, I thought I understood that some people were very interested ;)

View attachment 928817 View attachment 928818

So I shared them in a GoogleDrive folder here.
All of these icons are .icns

Sorry for the delay, I left for the weekend and I'm only coming back now
Do you have a plain one for the SSD? I'd love to use it but I'm not a fan of the OS icon on there.

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
How do I remove the telemetry plugin on macOS Big Sur

Same problem here on Mac mini 2010 I cannot access to BS recovery and if I try with Catalina Recovery, the BS volume Is "Big Sur - Dati" (Italian) while I have another "Update" volume. I have mounted both, forcing RW with mount - uw but I cannot find /System/Library/UserEventPlugins to delete com.apple.telemetry.plugin

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_065117.jpg
    IMG_20200629_065117.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 113

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017

while to use Legacy IOUSB you need some manual editing of those files I posted, and to do that you need a bootable Catalina from where you can easily mount the Preboot.

Through usbopencore legacy usb and telemetry plugin are already fixed after those Preboot com.apple.boot.plist modification.

Out of curiosity, have you checked on a Big Sur installation to see if the Catalina patcher plist approach to disable amfi works under Big Sur in place of using amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 in nvram?

VanillaLatte

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
View attachment 928820
How can I fix this???

If you use opencore you need to make sure SMBIOS details are filled out including Spoof Board-ID, then this error will go. i have installed big sur on a Macpro 5,1 with opencore with no other patches needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 01.17.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 01.17.58.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 165
  • MacPro5,1 OC.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone installed the beta on a 2009 MacMini? Does everything work after you did the install (I guess for the WiFi you would need to do the separate WiFi ktext update)?
[automerge]1593392520[/automerge]
Hi all
I'm going out of context a little bit but following my message #838
Regarding the HDD and SSD icons, I thought I understood that some people were very interested ;)

View attachment 928817 View attachment 928818

So I shared them in a GoogleDrive folder here.
All of these icons are .icns

Sorry for the delay, I left for the weekend and I'm only coming back now

For anyone interested these are the drive icons I use, they are called Ive Drives icons from the Icon Factory.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 6.36.05 PM.png

So this reminds me of a question. Is updating the drive icon in Big Sur the same as it was in Catalina, do a command-key i-key, paste the icon in the info window?

Last edited:

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
About Wifi (MacBook Pro/Air 2012), working => https://medium.com/@andv/making-wif...d-macs-with-failed-with-66-error-36c98e3f7965

Captura de Tela 2020-06-28 às 23.04.32.png

try to read the pages, I know it takes a little time, but in order not to screw up, I recommend reading it before any action.

Someone asked about the Adobe apps (I had it installed here, but many apps are still having problems, I recommend not upgrading to Big Sur if you use them to work, wait for an update from Adobe). If you like to play from time to time, I also recommend not updating, Steam is not identifying the games, it shows an unsupported system message, and it is not possible to start the games.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland

I was a bit hesitant to post this to all, because it could just be a partially failed installation, but here it is.

So BS installation completed apparently fine, after moving the BS SSD to internal SATA from USB. But then couldn't boot. Recovery boots though, but trackpad not responsive. (A lot of) details:

- Booted into the macOS Installer of the (now internal) BS disk. Using OpenCore for this, with spoofing still enabled at that point which may be wrong (first 3 pictures). Had to leave the installation unattended unfortunately.
- Hadn't booted when I came back, sitting there with a dark-on-white apple progress bar. Not a surprise because booting didn't go via OpenCore, so no telemetry and IOUSB legacy fix (photo 4)
- Then switched off spoofing in the USB OpenCore loader, and changed com.apple.Boot.plist to reflect usage of prelinkedkernel
- Used OpenCore it to boot BS. First without single-user mode, showing two phases of white-on-black apple progress bar, then stuck there. In single user mode, shows that it repeats an AppleBusPowerController message (photos 5-8)
- Just to see what happens, booted into BS recovery with OpenCore. Took a while as usual, then showed the graphical recovery menu and the menu bar correctly, but trackpad didn't react, so can't test it further at this point (photo 9).

Bear with me - more details about the state of the BS disk. Screenshots taken with 10.15.5.02 hooked on USB.
- the BS Data part is shown with diskutil list, the other is there but unnamed. The structure of Preboot shows prelinkedkernel and two Boot.plists. I've modified both as shown. On the finder desktop only the Update part is shown, which includes a Firmware folder (photos 10-11; 11 and 12 are in my next post as 10 photos is the limit)
- in the USB OpenCore I've disabled spoofing by just setting UpdateSMBIOS to false (hopefully correct) (photo 12).

Anyway I'll leave the BS disk on SATA for now to allow further testing of BS on my MBP5,2, which I'm looking forward to. Catalina production disk works quick enough on USB.
[automerge]1593414622[/automerge]
I was a bit hesitant to post this to all, because it could just be a partially failed installation, but here it is.

So BS installation completed apparently fine, after moving the BS SSD to internal SATA from USB. But then couldn't boot. Recovery boots though, but trackpad not responsive. (A lot of) details:

- Booted into the macOS Installer of the (now internal) BS disk. Using OpenCore for this, with spoofing still enabled at that point which may be wrong (first 3 pictures). Had to leave the installation unattended unfortunately.
- Hadn't booted when I came back, sitting there with a dark-on-white apple progress bar. Not a surprise because booting didn't go via OpenCore, so no telemetry and IOUSB legacy fix (photo 4)
- Then switched off spoofing in the USB OpenCore loader, and changed com.apple.Boot.plist to reflect usage of prelinkedkernel
- Used OpenCore it to boot BS. First without single-user mode, showing two phases of white-on-black apple progress bar, then stuck there. In single user mode, shows that it repeats an AppleBusPowerController message (photos 5-8)
- Just to see what happens, booted into BS recovery with OpenCore. Took a while as usual, then showed the graphical recovery menu and the menu bar correctly, but trackpad didn't react, so can't test it further at this point (photo 9).

Bear with me - more details about the state of the BS disk. Screenshots taken with 10.15.5.02 hooked on USB.
- the BS Data part is shown with diskutil list, the other is there but unnamed. The structure of Preboot shows prelinkedkernel and two Boot.plists. I've modified both as shown. On the finder desktop only the Update part is shown, which includes a Firmware folder (photos 10-11; 11 and 12 are in my next post as 10 photos is the limit)
- in the USB OpenCore I've disabled spoofing by just setting UpdateSMBIOS to false (hopefully correct) (photo 12).

Anyway I'll leave the BS disk on SATA for now to allow further testing of BS on my MBP5,2, which I'm looking forward to. Catalina production disk works quick enough on USB.
Here are photos 11-12 belonging to previous post

Attachments

• IMG_4239.JPG
    IMG_4239.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4237.JPG
    IMG_4237.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4240.JPG
    IMG_4240.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4251.JPG
    IMG_4251.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    831.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4256.JPG
    IMG_4256.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 07.55.37.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 07.55.37.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 07.40.47.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 07.40.47.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 08.02.56.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 08.02.56.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 120

bontempi

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
Hi.

I have a Mid-2012 - Non Retina - MacBook Pro 15". Can it work with Big Sur ? Will Wifi still work ? What's the procedure to install ? I'm on Catalina right now.

Thanks

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
... I have a Mid-2012 - Non Retina - MacBook Pro 15". Can it work with Big Sur ? Will Wifi still work ? What's the procedure to install ? I'm on Catalina right now.
That has to be a MBP 9,1. Yes it works have a look at #663. WiFi also works with AirPortBrcm4360 driver, see #555.

How to install, again
1. Download pkg from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...kxzj3zjshu1srsh4n74a41n4/InstallAssistant.pkg
2. Download https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/really-simple-installer-hack-zip.926156/
3. Unzip and copy hax.dylib to home folder
4. Boot into recovery
5. Run csrutil disable in Terminal
6. Reboot and run this in Terminal while on current OS - sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true
7. Run this in Terminal sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
8. Run this in Terminal launchctl setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD/Hax.dylib
9. Open the InstallAssistant.pkg, install, open the Installer.app in Launchpad / Applications folder
10. Wait for install to finish.

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018

[automerge]1593414622[/automerge]

Here are photos 11-12 belonging to previous post

The steps are correct, now I explain how to make working Legacy IOUSB and telemetry fix on a non-APFS mac:

From your external USB Catalina diskutil mount Preboot locate your UUID-BigSur
replace and copy this file (note this file is mainly for those who use USBOpenCoreAPFSloader3 even if prelinkedkernel will work also on recent mac): BigSur prelinkedkernel fix.zip

copy (and replace) in these paths:

/Volumes/UUID-BigSur/Library/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
/Volumes/UUID-BigSur/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
/Volumes/UUID-BigSur/System/Library/CoreServices/com.apple.Boot.plist

and maybe also here:

/Volumes/YourBigSurSystemLabel/System/Library/CoreServices/com.apple.Boot.plist

(this step is not necessary because are used those from Preboot)

Then through USBopencore boot BigSur but with CMD+S and check if in single user mode you can use keyboard to type "exit" (using single user mode should work also on an external BigSur install with Legacy IOUSB).

Currently the only limit for non-APFS mac of LegacyUSBInjector.kext is on the USB BigSur Installer or BigSur Recovery, (and mainly on the fact that IOUSB legacy doesn't prelink on BootKernelExtensions.kc ).

Optional step from Catalina, if you can mount the BigSur System volume, remove also the telemetry plugin:
/Volumes/YourBigSurSystemLabel/System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin

edit:
@hvds from your pictures your BigSur bootable label from opencore is "Samsung840-500gb - Daten" (because on some unsupported install BigSur use the SSD label - Data label) so target this volume from opencore to boot it, unless you done a clean install on an empty volume with a separate APFS container in that case it has a different name rather than "SSD - Data".

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Drivers for USB wifi adapters.

[automerge]1593420120[/automerge]
Install on MacBook pro retina early 2013, wifi working, but system very slow.
It´s Beta. And the first. That´s normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.