Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AppleChat

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
CATALINA
DO NOT UPDATE
this osx is a total disaster.

If malware destroys data then catalina is malware because it destroys emails, backups and causes myriad other problems.
have been a loyal mac user for decades but when they start destroying my data enough is enough.

and when you ask them what to do apple say go back to mojave.
Ah! and destroy all the data you have accumulated since the update - which for us is impossible anyway because our backups have disappeared along with the contents of thousands of emails
seriously, who is responsible for this catastrophic osx?

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: redvw

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
For those running the beta, and had experienced issues with Mail in Catalina, have you seen any or all of those issues resolved after the new beta release?

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Try 10.15.2, it's been released some days ago.
I’m not able to connect because of WiFi has the self assigned IP address.
[automerge]1576774376[/automerge]
When you click on wifi icon does it list any wifi networks ?
Yes it does. I went into my network and it says that WiFi has the self assigned IP address and will not connect to the internet.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I’m not able to connect because of WiFi has the self assigned IP address.
[automerge]1576774376[/automerge]

Yes it does. I went into my network and it says that WiFi has the self assigned IP address and will not connect to the internet.

Try this. Go to the location on your disk as shown in the screenshot, and delete the selected files. Restart, and see if that helps. Also, when the computer restarts, take turns to reset NVRAM and SMC while you are at it.

Also, if this does not help, see this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If this resolves your issue, it means some app configuration is interfering with the computer's connectivity to the internet. It might be time to do a clean install again, if you do not want to spend an uncertain amount of time diagnosing the issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 10.34.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 10.34.07 PM.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 193

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Try this. Go to the location on your disk as shown in the screenshot, and delete the selected files. Restart, and see if that helps. Also, when the computer restarts, take turns to reset NVRAM and SMC while you are at it.

Also, if this does not help, see this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If this resolves your issue, it means some app configuration is interfering with the computer's connectivity to the internet. It might be time to do a clean install again, if you do not want to spend an uncertain amount of time diagnosing the issue.
Thank you I appreciated.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Hey y'all, I just want to say thank you for those of you that tried to help me with the issue that i had not been able to connect to WIFI. After all the reseting that was done, I reset the eero and my MB Air is connecting like a champ. Thanks again!!

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
I don't know if this is a Catalina bug or some other issue - but when I exported my Inbox (Apple Mail/iCloud) to back it up, and then imported it back as a test, a lot of messages were missing. And the mbox file had "partial" in its name. This occurred after I rebuilt the mailbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have posted the below in another thread as well, but posting it here for help, hopefully.

Does anyone else with a MacBook Air 2017:

Find upon a restart or a cold boot that some apps that are usually in the Other folder in launchpad are now spread out in Launchpad?

Automator, Chess, Font Book, Image Capture, QuickTime Player, Stickies, TextEdit are the apps that are outside the Utilities folder in Finder > Applications.

The Utilities folder in Finder is what is shown as Other folder in launchpad, and has 17 apps that are reflected as is in Other folder in Launchpad when the aforementioned apps are spilled out randomly on a restart/ cold boot. When I use the Terminal command to reset Launchpad, the aforementioned app icons get consolidated back in the Other folder in Launchpad, but remain outside of Utilities folder in Finder > Applications anyway.

Would someone who has never seen this problem tell me if these aforementioned apps are in Finder > Applications or Finder > Applications > Utilities folder for them?

I am trying to not perform a complete reinstall at this point, since otherwise the system is not showing any issues.

I have the same problem. The exact same apps you mentioned end up outside of the Other folder.

Edit: What these apps have in common is that they are not located in /System/Applications/Utilities like the others but in /System/Applications instead. Maybe a reboot triggers something in Launchpad that causes it to lose track of these applications and then puts them in a different location.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have the same problem. The exact same apps you mentioned end up outside of the Other folder.

Edit: What these apps have in common is that they are not located in /System/Applications/Utilities like the others but in /System/Applications instead. Maybe a reboot triggers something in Launchpad that causes it to lose track of these applications and then puts them in a different location.

Which device are you on?

I have found one potential fix. Instead of resetting launchpad which would momentarily resolve the issue but have no longterm effect since the issue resurfaces again after a couple of restarts, I just put the apps in the Other folder manually in Launchpad the last time they spilled out, and so far, they are yet to spill out again after a few days worth of daily restarts - I shut the computer off every night.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi, I’m not sure if someone has already talked about it, but there’s a bug on macOS 10.15.2 where, with the appearance set to automatic, when it has to turn into dark mode, it just fails to change the appearance and the wallpaper disappear, leaving the desktop with a black background and the light theme. Instead of changing to dark mode.

1577315915106.png

Has anyone else experienced this? This is an installation from scratch of macOS 10.15.2, with APFS (encrypted) and Filevault activated.

Going to sleep and waking up again solves it until the next day, when it has to transition again from the Light to the Dark side.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hi, I’m not sure if someone has already talked about it, but there’s a bug on macOS 10.15.2 where, with the appearance set to automatic, when it has to turn into dark mode, it just fails to change the appearance and the wallpaper disappear, leaving the desktop with a black background and the light theme. Instead of changing to dark mode.

View attachment 884782

Has anyone else experienced this? This is an installation from scratch of macOS 10.15.2, with APFS (encrypted) and Filevault activated.

Going to sleep and waking up again solves it until the next day, when it has to transition again from the Light to the Dark side.

Which Mac is this on? On my 2017 MBA, I need to have Night Shift enabled for the transition to occur automatically.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
Having an odd bug (I think it's a bug). The iCloud Drive on the iMac has been "uploading" for about a week now. No new files, and it's stuck at the very end (currently 15.8 MB uploading of 15.8 MB; the amount changes tho, sometimes it's 5.6MB, sometimes 1MB, but it never completes it). I've tried logging out of iCloud Drive, restarting the computer, restarting the wifi. Still no luck. Manually pressing X to cancel it or suspend it doesn't work (X is not a clickable button somehow).

It's not actively causing a problem, really, but the little round progress pie bar has been stuck on that for days now, so any ideas?

EDIT: also to add, I'm not having the same problem on my MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.51.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.51.58 PM.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.52.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.52.03 PM.png
    402.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
@macintoshmac I think I know what’s causing the issue when changing to Dark mode: KeepingYouAwake, the app inspired on Caffeine. Each time I have it not only open but active to prevent my Mac going to sleep, I get that black wallpaper. Each time I deactivate it (even with the app open), it doesn’t happen.

Does anyone know how can I contact the developer of KeepingYouAwake? I haven’t seen anything on the GitHub webpage.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Brand new install on a 2018 Mac mini and I can vouch that Automatic Dark Mode doesn't work. It's always set to Light Mode even with Location turned on.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Brand new install on a 2018 Mac mini and I can vouch that Automatic Dark Mode doesn't work. It's always set to Light Mode even with Location turned on.

You may need to enable Night Shift. :D
[automerge]1577507056[/automerge]
@macintoshmac I think I know what’s causing the issue when changing to Dark mode: KeepingYouAwake, the app inspired on Caffeine. Each time I have it not only open but active to prevent my Mac going to sleep, I get that black wallpaper. Each time I deactivate it (even with the app open), it doesn’t happen.

Does anyone know how can I contact the developer of KeepingYouAwake? I haven’t seen anything on the GitHub webpage.

You will need a GitHub account. Then, you can visit the developer's page (https://github.com/newmarcel/KeepingYouAwake/issues) and click on New Issue to register your issue.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
You may need to enable Night Shift. :D
Why should that make a difference? Night Shift is off and it's now 3am and Dark Mode (Auto) works but it didn't after 10pm, strange. And doesn't Night Shift also use "Location" when setting it from Sunrise to Sunset?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Why should that make a difference? Night Shift is off and it's now 3am and Dark Mode (Auto) works but it didn't after 10pm, strange. And doesn't Night Shift also use "Location" when setting it from Sunrise to Sunset?

Automatic Dark Mode works without Night Shift for you? It does not for me on my MacBook Air 2017. Strange indeed.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Automatic Dark Mode works without Night Shift for you? It does not for me on my MacBook Air 2017. Strange indeed.
Actually Automatic Dark Mode is working at 3am EST with or without Night Shift turned on or off. But Auto DM, wasn't working at 10pm EST with or without Night Shift. So yeah, strange indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.