Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's macOS Catalina update did not come out alongside iOS 13, with Apple instead planning to release it on an unspecified date in October.

While Apple has provided no detail on when the launch date might be, text on Apple's Danish macOS Catalina website suggests that it could be coming on Friday, October 4.

appledanishsite-800x356.jpg
Image from Apple's Danish macOS Catalina site​

An Apple Arcade section of the macOS Catalina website for Denmark says that Apple Arcade will be available in the App Store starting on October 4. The text is on the macOS Catalina page and refers to the Mac App Store as Apple Arcade for iOS has already launched in Denmark.

"Exceptional gameplay. Find it in the App Store from October 4," reads the translated version of the site. No additional dates are provided on the Apple Arcade specific site, with the October 4 mention limited to the Catalina page.

Apple Arcade on the Mac requires the macOS Catalina update and is a macOS Catalina feature, so for Apple Arcade to be available on October 4, macOS Catalina would also need to be available by that date.

The problem with the October 4 date is that most macOS and OS X updates have historically been on a Monday or a Tuesday. The last time a Mac update came out on a Friday was OS X Snow Leopard, which was released 10 years ago.

Apple could potentially release macOS Catalina earlier in the week and then launch Apple Arcade on October 4, but it's unclear why it wouldn't simply be available when Catalina launches. If Apple's Danish site is accurate, though, it seems we can expect to see macOS Catalina early in the month of October rather than later.

Apple's other software updates, including iOS 13, iPadOS watchOS 6, and tvOS 13, have already been released and Apple Arcade is available on all other platforms except for the Mac at this time.

(Thanks, Boris!)

Update September 27 6:00 a.m.: Apple has removed the October 4 reference from the Danish macOS Catalina page.

Article Link: macOS Catalina Could Launch on October 4 According to Apple's Danish Site [Updated]

Last edited:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
As you know, it's 4th October in UK dates... so that superscript 4, after the period is not looking like a day of the month to me.
Correct, the "4" on other regional sites is for a footnote about Apple Arcade subscriptions and timing. But the Danish site has two of them, one for the date ("4. oktober") and one for the footnote.

steveaburns

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
ok, on the UK website, at the bottom of the page, there's a #4 footnote about Arcade... I would think this is what the superscript 4 is all about, and doesn't mean 4th October....

4. Apple Arcade requires a subscription. Apple Arcade is now available on iPhone and will be rolling out on other devices this autumn.
[automerge]1569545195[/automerge]
Yep. The superscript is a reference to the matching arcade description bottom of the page.
yup, that's it... !
[automerge]1569545311[/automerge]
Correct, the "4" on other regional sites is for a footnote about Apple Arcade subscriptions and timing. But the Danish site has two of them, one for the date ("4. oktober") and one for the footnote.
yeah - bad translation?? I do wish it would be the 4th.

Reactions: sassenach74

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
ok, on the UK website, at the bottom of the page, there's a #4 footnote about Arcade... I would think this is what the superscript 4 is all about, and doesn't mean 4th October....

4. Apple Arcade requires a subscription. Apple Arcade is now available on iPhone and will be rolling out on other devices this autumn.

yup, that's it... !

Don't think it's a bad translation. Danish site says "fra den 4 Oktober," which is "from October 4th" and it also has the superscript 4 too.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
The Apple page must be busy with legal disclaimers if they have at least 4 footnotes. Come on Apple your better than this.
[automerge]1569545829[/automerge]
I remember back in the day when the Apple home page had a single focus. Now its like a sea of endless scrolling. Heck why even have other pages. Just put everything on the home page.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Very messy launch schedule this year. iOS, iPadOS, and macOS all releases at different times. Usually they’re all released at the same time.

Edit: Actually I’m wrong, MacOS is usually released a week after iOS.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

yup, that's it... !

Danish site may have accidentally (typo) repeated the 4.

steveaburns

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Don't think it's a bad translation. Danish site says "fra den 4 Oktober," which is "from October 4th" and it also has the superscript 4 too.
Sure, but what I mean is, did someone take October.4 (superscript), and decide to translate it to "fra den 4 Oktober"?? No GM and given there is a #4 footnote just make me think it was a good honest mistake?

--ps we can all look forward to finding out the reality soon :)

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm staying on Mojave on my main machine because I still use Aperture - it's not compatible with Catalina

I plan on getting a second iMac to run Catalina and newer software

Eventually I plan on switching to Adobe..
Same here except were using CS3 and that only seems to work up to Sierra. We're staying on El Capitan for a while.

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Sure, but what I mean is, did someone take October.4 (superscript), and decide to translate it to "fra den 4 Oktober"?? No GM and given there is a #4 footnote just make me think it was a good honest mistake?

Yep, can't really rule that out. Could be a mistake based on a miscommunication.

Reactions: steveaburns

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Yep, can't really rule that out. Could be a mistake based on a miscommunication.
It must be someone taking some notes and made a mistake. There would be no reason to have a footnote which only says available during autumn when the main text has a definitive date.

Reactions: orbital~debris

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
hmm.... there was no macOS Catalina Gold Master released for developers then?

Exactly. It can't be Oct 4, we're on beta 9 right now and no GM yet. If GM came out tomorrow, maybe. The OS releases usually drop on Friday, but I can't see them pushing this through that fast - plus its a huge release with the discontinued support of 32-bit applications.

This is the first time I won't upgrade immediately. I still have several notifications from Apple that I have apps that aren't ready for Catalina.

gcbarre

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
I'm staying on Mojave on my main machine because I still use Aperture - it's not compatible with Catalina

I plan on getting a second iMac to run Catalina and newer software

Eventually I plan on switching to Adobe..

I have a second internal disk drive in which I boot in High Sierra to mainly run Aperture, the main SDD is for Mojave. (I haven't found a better Image organizer.)

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I can’t believe they released iOS and iPadOS without macOS being ready.

Because of the compatibility issues between different versions of reminders. Would it really have been that difficult to wait the additional week or two to release everything in sync?

As it is, i now have broken shared reminders between myself and the GF, because she updated and upgraded, and i didn’t can’t because my mac isn’t compatible yet and she didn’t know that. So she lost access to my shared reminders list for the household.

I’m sure there are others with more serious problems caused by this, heaven forbid any sort of business is using these applications to do actual work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.