Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Apple

Attachments

• you-were-supposed-ae2b94d59c.jpeg
    you-were-supposed-ae2b94d59c.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5,346

zenotds

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
Honestly it was pretty clear during the presentation that the screen was made bigger to accomodate the camera as a notch, so the camera doesn't take away any space, they just relocated the menu in some extra screen space they made ad hoc.
In the end users just gained some 60px of extra workspace when not working with fullscreen apps.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
So for the majority of the time you won’t actually use the full screen of your new laptop costing at least 2 grand because of the notch… what a stupid design decision, on a small device like a phone it makes sense, on a 16” laptop, no it’s just stupid and looks ugly, and unnecessary.

Last edited:

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
when not using apps in full screen mode, you can see the notch so best thing to do is set a black wallpaper or something similar to hide the notch :)
While I have no issue with the notch, I agree it looks stupid to simply hide the Menu bar by blacking it out but not increasing the screen height to a true full screen look. You might as well just leave the Menu bar visible. Basically all Apple is doing is like putting a piece of black tape over the Menu bar to temporarily hide it.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The problem is, they can't really do that. Existing software hasn't been written to understand that a small portion of the top of the screen might be covered by a notch, so if they just fullscreened things ignoring the notch, many programs might be rendered difficult or impossible to use properly.

I'm 99% confident going full screen on basically all apps (especially legacy apps) will make the app think the 'top' of the display is where the bottom of the notch is. There will probably be an opt-in setting for devs to go beyond the bottom of the notch and utilize the entire display.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Not a fan. Would rather just have the bezel, but whatever, it's not the end of the world.

Most people don't. I don't know why full screen is pushed at all. It's largely useless and for anyone who does any multitasking, it creates problems rather than solving any.
I use full screen modes depending on the application.

“I’m just here to chime in about a laptop I’ll never buy”
This seems to be the new trend to be dismissive of anyone critical of any Apple's design choices.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
While I have no issue with the notch, I agree it looks stupid to simply hide the Menu bar by blacking it out but not increasing the screen height to a true full screen look. You might as well just leave the Menu bar visible. Basically all Apple is doing is like putting a piece of black tape over the Menu bar to temporarily hide it.

I agree that's what they should have done and honestly I thought this would be the best implementation of the notch area, something that lets us use full screen apps or maximize usable space on the desktop without having to hide the menu bar. Maybe there will be an option for that in the future.

Reactions: elev8d

gkos

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2021
Why are you all talking about multitasking? The notch is only annoying when watching movies or when you hide the top bar in general. In all other cases it just takes up dead space from the top bar.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Originally posted this in another thread but its relevant here too.

Imagine editing a photo, using your trackpad to zoom into a section and the big black rectangle notch covers part of your image, so you zoom back out again and move it around so you can see the full image again.

The notch was ugly enough on the iPhone, now they've gone and added it to the MacBook. For clean aesthetic fans, the notch is awful. Even more annoying that the iPad looks better and is the more futuristic device (touch screen, pencil, attachable keyboard etc.), but people need devices like the MacBook to do their day job (Xcode, Ableton Live, Unity, Unreal Engine to name a few).

From a programmers perspective, it makes app design that little bit more awkward and I'm wondering if Windows will ever have support for this awkward layout.

I had high hopes for this machine, reluctantly will hold on to my 2013 MacBook pro for now.

SakeBalboa

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
Honestly it was pretty clear during the presentation that the screen was made bigger to accomodate the camera as a notch, so the camera doesn't take away any space, they just relocated the menu in some extra screen space they made ad hoc.
In the end users just gained some 60px of extra workspace when not working with fullscreen apps.
Exactly, had it been the other way where it cuts into the available screen real estate then yeah I would get the complaints, but this is an elegant solution. I was upset when the notch rumor came up, but bravo Apple for pulling this off.

Here’s a visual for anyone who still doesn’t understand (edit: the diagonal below should measure in at 16.09635") :
8E69C3D9-473D-4308-95ED-AFA61B90BCD3.png

Last edited:

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Most people don't. I don't know why full screen is pushed at all. It's largely useless and for anyone who does any multitasking, it creates problems rather than solving any.
This is objectively wrong. I use full screen CONSTANTLY. It's essential for power users on the go to be able to use multiple virtual desktops and swipe between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.