Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

narsang77

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
Hello guys, I did the tutorial for my old MacBook Pro 5,3.
The setup was fine but now I need to put my password and it's not working.

Do you know how to reset ? Because when I want to do Cmd + R it's not working (I have the screen with the forbidden logo).

If you have some solution for that.

Thanks guys !

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
I've been running High Sierra on a MacPro 3,1 system for quite a while and now have a BIG problem . This system was created using DosDude's High Sierra method/program for installing High Sierra on a MacPro3,1 system last year some time. When I rebooted the system yesterday, I now get an error saying "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-F42C88C8" -- and unfortunately the Recovery disk says the same thing. But the good news is that I have a Sierra (macOS 10.12.4) TechToolPro eDrive volume that boots OK (but it only has a few apps and does not have TimeMachine but it can mount the TimeMachine backup volume).

So the question is what might have happened to goof things up? I have a TimeMachine backup volume, but can't run TimeMachine from the eDrive, as it has very few apps installed. And even if I could run TimeMachine and do a restore, not sure how to decide what to restore, since the cause of the problem is not understood yet.

Suggestions are welcome in how to get back to HighSierra land on my MacPro3,1 system and even better would be how to determine what exactly got messed up to cause the problem. One clue as to what happened is the volume that is now called SSD-HighSierra (and has been named this way since I did the install -- so that didn't get changed), but the icon associated with this volume has a different icon that looks very like something to do with TechToolPro -- Have attached the image I got from taking a photo of the boot screen (result of holding down the Option key)

Another clue that points to having TechToolPro having something to do with it is that in the folder /System/Library/CoreServices are a couple of unusual named files (this is the last few lines of a "ls -lart" command showing the most recent modified files):

drwxr-xr-x 101 root wheel 3434 Feb 21 21:07 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Mar 11 18:04 .MicromatProtogoVolume.flag
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Mar 11 18:04 .MicromatProtogoBasic.flag
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 576056 Mar 11 18:13 boot.efi
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root wheel 3557 Mar 17 19:42 .disk_label_2x
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root wheel 893 Mar 17 19:42 .disk_label
drwxr-xr-x 172 root wheel 5848 Mar 18 20:15 .

So, the boot.efi file seems to have the same checksum from a few weeks ago, but have never seen the files starting with "." in this folder, or anywhere else for that matter that I can recall. How to determine if this is the "correct" boot.efi file to go with DosDude's install procedure?? The checksum for the boot.efi file is:

sh-3.2# sum boot.efi
70 563 boot.efi

Another item is that when running System Preferences and looking in the "Startup Disk" pane, it shows the default boot volume as "SSD-HighSierra" which is what it should be, and it also shows that it's a "macOS 10.13.6" version, which is also correct.

Another odd thing that I was surprised to see is the contents of the "PlatformSupport.plist file -- would have thought it should have an entry for the MacPro3,1 system but it doesn't:

sh-3.2# pwd
/Volumes/SSD-HighSierra/System/Library/CoreServices
sh-3.2# grep -i macpro PlatformSupport.plist
<string>MacPro6,1</string>
<string>MacPro5,1</string>
sh-3.2#

I recall having to edit this file a long time ago (perhaps for Sierra or even before), but perhaps DosDude's method doesn't require this manual edit any more?

Another thing I can say is that I did use the TechToolPro app to clone another boot volume from another computer to a brand new drive, and that seemed to have worked OK (it was cloning a Mountain Lion boot volume for an old white MacBook early 2008 system if it matters). Was careful on what source and destination volume I chose, but certainly possible something might have been unintentionally clicked on, but if that were the case, I would have expected far bigger problems as that volume was a minimal MacOS 10.7.5 system with no apps other than what came with when new and this problem volume has lots of stuff in the /Applications folder.

Many of the parts on the boot volume seem to be there (my /Applications and /Users folders seem to be intact and look normal from what I've looked at), so the problem seems to be in the stuff that macOS High Sierra looks for and needs when it boots, but what exactly is not there or messed up is a real puzzle to me at the moment.

So, anyone have any suggestions to get the MacPro3,1 back up and running off that High Sierra boot volume? and also how to fix the Recovery partition so that it can boot the High Sierra recovery? and biggest question of all is how to restore the system volume back to it's pre-messed up state?

Thanks very much...

Attachments

• TechTool disk icon image.jpeg
    TechTool disk icon image.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 212

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Well, I realized how to run TimeMachine in order to try and restore the /System folder (and all it's subfolders) -- all that was needed was to enable the checkbox to show TimeMachine in the menu bar in the TimeMachine System Preferences pane and once that appears the option to run TimeMachine to restore files becomes possible...but am not sure if that's really what is needed. Anyone have any idea if this will really solve my problem or is there something going on with the way macOS boots that involves something other than the files in the /System folder? The partition table seems to be OK, so that does not appear to have been modified by the TTP software, but not certain how to know this yet -- any ideas about how to know if the partition table got modified in some way? and if so, when it happened and what exactly was changed? Perhaps there is some log file entry that will give a clue as to what happened?

I also tried to ask the TTP support forum about this, but they say they can't really comment or provide support for their software on hardware that Apple does not support any longer. Kind of a cop out in my opinion, as the issue seems pretty obvious that it has some sort of TTP origins. Why in the world would those odd files appear with the names they have if not for something the TTP/Micromat software did with a time/date that fits into when the was possibly caused?

My opinion of Micromat just took a big dive in the downward direction, if this is what they call support. The fact that I'm running their software on unsupported hardware doesn't really have much to do with this question. The question has to do with what their software was trying to do by creating those odd files in the middle of the /System/Library/CoreServices folder -- if they can't or won't explain that then they really have some serious support problems in my opinion.

Still looking for some way of determining how best to resolve this so that I can have a bootable system again. Thanks for any ideas...

Last edited:

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Well, I've decided to restore the entire boot volume after deciding trying to figure out the problem is not so easy. But am creating another DosDude1 High Sierra USB installer to do the restoration rather than the only current bootable volume on the MacPro3,1 system which is a Sierra (not High Sierra) e-drive volume. I read that it's not a good idea to restore a newer version of macOS with an older version of macOS, so think that's what I'm gonna try. I looked around on the formerly working boot volume and tried to find stuff that was created after the disk got screwed up and before the time I discovered the system won't boot and it's not much, as most of my work during that time was created on a different disk (thank goodness for that as spent a lot of time on it).

Anyway, this is still a very scary thing to do, so hope all turns out well...

A

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Well, I did a little bit more reading and think that I've found a much better solution -- used the dosdude1 High Sierra Patcher.app program and then just click on the "Post install script" and it takes care of making the changes so that I can boot once more from the same drive. YIPPPEEEEEEE!!!! Thanks so much to dosdude1 once again - he saved the day!!!!! No hours and hours spent restoring from a TimeMachine backup and hoping it all works.

Well, the lesson I learned is that I'm gonna give up on using the Micromat TechToolPro and ProToGo apps -- Micromat support denied their software causing the problem and refused to support the software since my hardware isn't supported on High Sierra -- a cop-out if I've ever seen one. Shame on them for not helping and for not supporting customers who've bought several versions of their software over the years. Not to mention asking customers to pay for incremental updates -- they updated from 9.5 to 9.6 and want to charge to make that transition. Only company that I've ever seen charge for what I call a "dot" release (x.y to x.y+1 type release). Boooo!!!! Not to mention they want another $50 to go from 9.5.3 to current version 11. Thanks but no thanks.

Again, kudos to dosdude1 -- you saved me from so much pain and wasted time -- I'm gonna figure out a way to make a donation...Yay for the good guys in this world!!!! You are definitely one of them!!!!!

Reactions: bmillar

TravelerJoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I have been running High Sierra on a MacPro 3,1 system for quite a while. I used dosdude's High Sierra patcher for installing it.

I would like to create a USB installer again for High Sierra. I used DosDude’s patcher. I have a USB stick that I have successfully used before. But when I try to boot from the USB stick it never completes. See post #4370 for someone who had the same problem.

Am I reading this correctly that you cannot be running High Sierra to create a High Sierra USB install stick?

TravelerJoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Yes. I have formatted the USB sticks before each attempt. I have tried three different sticks.

I am using the most recent Patcher. Should I try an older one?

platypus99

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
Does anyone know why, before having done any patching at all:

1. the tool uses 100% CPU while downloading the macOS installation package (what is it doing other than downloading?)
2. some of the .dmg files in the downloaded package seem to be modified (differing checksums)

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
@mrploppy
I tried on my MacBook Air 2,1 but it failed in the last stages, probably the Recovery update. It came up kind of ok-ish after that and showed the correct build 17G6029, but it was really sluggish and WiFi support was gone. I went back to 17G65 and updated Recovery manually. Right now I'm updating my Time Machine before trying any further.

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
Follow up:

SU 2019-002 HS is installed now, showing up in App Store and System Profiler.

After updating @dosdude1's install media and Recovery according to @nospamboz's post earlier in this thread, I just updated via App Store. On restart I booted into the install media, reapplied the post install patches and I'm up and running.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Anyone installed the latest security update?

On my mid-2009 Macbook5,2, I did a non-Recovery security update as I described here. The modified 2019-002 pkg installed without errors. Build is 17G6029 and SecUpd 2019-002 is in the installation list. I think it worked.

It looks like I didn't even have to re-do the @dosdude1 post-install patching, but I did it anyway. It's OK so far...

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
Hello, I updated my macpro 3.1 with the installer of DosDude1 (Jedi knight of OSX) and a gtx 680 and everything rolls perfectly, including wifi. The only problem that remains (not serious) is that High Sierra doesn't keep my chosen wallpaper and replaces it with another one at each restart.
Does security update 2019-002 work perfectly ? Somebody install it on Macpro 3.1
Thank you

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
So Apple reissued SU 2019-002 today, bringing the build version to 17G6030. Same pain to update, stalls at Recovery stage. Puuh.

Last edited:

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
In a nutshell: download installer, extract AppleDiagnostics.chunklist, AppleDiagnostics.dmg, BaseSystem.chunklist, BaseSystem.dmg from RecoveryHD image, replace appropriate files on install media and Recovery partition, update through App Store or modified installer, reapply post install fixes.

Edit @mrploppy: Ups, misread your post, it's 'how', not 'what'. Ok, here's the how: saw SU 2019-002 popping up in App Store again, refreshed my Time Machine backup and went along. Had to hard shutdown my MacBook, after restart it said 17G6030. THEN I searched for the installer and saw that the article date hadn't changed, but the upload date did.

Last edited:

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2018
Noticed on this thread that there is a 2019-002 Security Update available.
I have an unsupported MBAir with the latest High Sierra installed, and App Store does not show any updates available.
Anyone know why? Thanks.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
After running the 10.13 SU 2019-002 on a dosdude1 patched Mini3,1, WIFI went silent. The WI-FI patches are not on the post-install patch set (macOS High Sierra Patcher270). Had to re-install USB WIFI to D/L the OTA Broadcom WIFI support patch. Updated all installed patches - reboot to 17G6030 perfection.

Amazing, as usual.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Only just discovered this was even possible today. I hadn't even looked at my Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 5,5 for quite a while now but decided to search Google to see if I could now upgrade to a OS after El Capitan or not. Delighted to see I could and so far everything appears to be running perfectly.

Last edited:

TravelerJoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I am using the most recent Patcher. Should I try an older one?

I finally had time to look at this again. I downloaded an earlier version of dosdude's High Sierra patcher (2.3.3) and this time it worked. I am able to boot from the USB stick. There must be something in the most recent version of the patcher that my system does not like.

GarryB

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
Canberra, ACT, Australia
MacBook5,1 (13-inch Unibody Aluminum Late 2008) - No issues

I have a MacBook5,1 running 10.13.6 with the Patcher. Everything works. However, when doing a restart or booting from cold, it does a "double-bong". That is, it plays the startup chime, waits a bit, then plays the startup chime again. It then continues to startup – later during startup it changes from a white screen with a black progress bar to a black screen with a white progress bar – shortly after that, it starts Finder.

Is this normal or does it need a fix ?

Thanks.

Reactions: K two
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.