Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jur93

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
Hi all, took some time over the past few days to revive an old iMac 8,1 machine that had been sitting in the closet for a relative. Installed a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD (500Gb) and already had RAM maxed to 4Gb. Installation worked like a charm the first go around until I mistakenly enabled FileVault encryption and tried to log in as guest. I was then promptly met with the "no sign" which locked me out completely. Took the iMac back home and have tried the following..

- erased/reformatted entire drive (thus wiping any encryption, I think?)
- re-installed HS using the same installation media from the successful attempt, followed by the script for the patches

Still met with the "no sign" after multiple failed attempts at the process above. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Do you have an old back-up? And if so, can you reinstall it?

Jur93

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
What do you me with ‘no sign’? Is there no users or no ssd?

No user:
INRF5.jpg

No disk:
y8ULs.jpg

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I found an issue with my fresh High Sierra install on my old 2009 MacBook Pro (model 5,3) using DOSDUDE1's hack.

When I run Disk Utility and click on INFO for the internal SSD hard drive, I see "SMART Status -- NOT SUPPORTED".'

But If I boot into El Capitan and run the Disk Utility on the same internal SSD drive, I see "SMART status -- VERIFIED".

So I know my internal SSD is working just fine. El Capitan can check the SMART status.
But for some reason, High Sierra cannot check the SMART status on the same internal drive.

Anyone else have the same problem?

RobK88
[doublepost=1555456553][/doublepost]Strange. I just checked the SMART status on my internal SSD on High Sierra using the command line (i.e. diskutil info disk0 | grep SMART ). And voila, High Sierra reports the SMART status as verified. I just do not see this using the Disk Utility GUI on High Sierra. Strange.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
When I run Disk Utility and click on INFO for the internal SSD hard drive, I see "SMART Status -- NOT SUPPORTED".'

I just checked the SMART status on my internal SSD on High Sierra using the command line (i.e. diskutil info disk0 | grep SMART ). And voila, High Sierra reports the SMART status as verified.

I get exactly the same behavior on my Macbook5,2 10.13.6 with a spinning HD. Must be something wrong with the Disk Utility app.

I also use SmartReporter Lite, which works fine.

Hat Tric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
Germany
I‘ve been using High Sierra on my trusted iMac from 2008 using dosdude1‘s patches.

Now I‘m about to receive a brand new iMac running Mojave and want to migrate my data to the new machine.

Can I safely use Apple‘s migration assistant or will it copy any unwanted kext patches, library files, etc. to the new computer?

Any input is much appreciated!

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I‘ve been using High Sierra on my trusted iMac from 2008 using dosdude1‘s patches.

Now I‘m about to receive a brand new iMac running Mojave and want to migrate my data to the new machine.

Can I safely use Apple‘s migration assistant or will it copy any unwanted kext patches, library files, etc. to the new computer?

Any input is much appreciated!
I'd love to know the answer to this too. Typically we'll see the screen below when migrating to a new mac, should certain items be unchecked to be safe?

Capture.JPG

Hat Tric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
Germany
I'd love to know the answer to this too. Typically we'll see the screen below when migrating to a new mac, should certain items be unchecked to be safe?

Migration assistant does seem to copy unwanted files to the new machine, see this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/migration-assistant.185405/post-1198036

Also the migration assistant can screw up the source computer, if it's running an unsupported macOS.

I bit the bullet and copied all my files and apps manually to the new machine.

Reactions: ATC

Allubz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2019
I finally had time to look at this again. I downloaded an earlier version of dosdude's High Sierra patcher (2.3.3) and this time it worked. I am able to boot from the USB stick. There must be something in the most recent version of the patcher that my system does not like.

Can confirm 2.7 leads to block sign at USB selection with MacPro3,1

2.3.3 and 2.5.2 I tried as well, but it gets stuck at 99~100% to the install screen. I've done it before on other machines, so I'm confused as to what may be wrong. I disabled SIP per Recovery, and made the USB out of a supposed fine 10.13.6 App Store download.

Update: I redownloaded 10.13.6 per the tool. All dandy now with 2.7.0

Last edited:

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
hi, somebody try to update macpro 3.1 with "security update 2019-003 10.13.6" ?
it works without problems ?. What is the procedure, please ?
Thanks

vlad_

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Sticks TN
New user here, but I've been following this thread for a while.

Downloaded Security Update 2019-003 and modified according to Security And OS Standalone Updates section of the first post, and tried installing. About 1/3 of the way into the update, I received the error; The installation failed.

Tried next attempt booted into safe mode with the same results. Running a Mac Pro 3,1....

Anyone have any suggestions?

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Looks like Security Update 2019-003 will fail. Looks like Security Update 2019-003 tries to update the Recovery Partition from the previous version contained in Security Update 2019-002. Does anyone have a fix???

How can I Manually update the Recovery Partition with the files from the Security Update 2019-003?

Now the updates for Safari etc do not even show up??? How do I see them again so I can install them? (NO they were never installed. Was going to install them after I installed the Security Update!)

History of my Installation and Latest Failed Installation Log

1. Installed High Sierra using DosDude1's excellent patched installer. I did patch the installer with the Latest Recovery Partition from Security Update 2019-002 at recommended in this forum!

2. Installed Security Update 2019-002 without any problems!!

3. I Downloaded Security Update 2019-003 from Apple's website and then expanded the pkg, modified it as described on the first page to disable the version check and then flattened or created a new PKG.

4. I ran the Modified.pkg. It ran since the version check was disabled.

5. It fails near the end!! Looks like Security Update 2019-003 tried to update yet again the Recovery Partition.

6. Now the updates for Safari etc do not even show up??? How do I see them again so I can install them? (NO they were never installed. Was going to install them after I installed the Security Update!)

Below is the last part of the install log:

Code:
May 14 17:42:04 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: 
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro installd[384]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Modified.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=replaceRecovery, NSURL=file:///Users/scrooge/Desktop/High%20Sierra%20Security%20Updates/Security%20Update%202019-003/Modified.pkg#SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.17G7024, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Modified.pkg”.} {
        NSFilePath = replaceRecovery;
        NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cModified.pkg\U201d.";
        NSURL = "file:///Users/scrooge/Desktop/High%20Sierra%20Security%20Updates/Security%20Update%202019-003/Modified.pkg#SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg";
        PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.17G7024";
    }
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro installd[384]: PackageKit: Running idle tasks
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Modified.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=replaceRecovery, NSURL=file:///Users/scrooge/Desktop/High%20Sierra%20Security%20Updates/Security%20Update%202019-003/Modified.pkg#SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.17G7024, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Modified.pkg”.}
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro installd[384]: PackageKit: Removing client PKInstallDaemonClient pid=639, uid=501 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer)
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: IFDInstallController 11730 state = 8
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro Installer[639]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
May 14 17:45:07 Grinchs-MacBook-Pro installd[384]: PackageKit: Done with sandbox removals

vlad_

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Sticks TN
Sorry to hear your issues RobK88, but I'm glad that I'm not alone.

I always attempt installs like this on a cloned drive first in case of issues like this popping up. I know that doesn't help now, but it may in the future.

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
Looks like Security Update 2019-003 will fail. Looks like Security Update 2019-003 tries to update the Recovery Partition from the previous version contained in Security Update 2019-002. Does anyone have a fix???

How can I Manually update the Recovery Partition with the files from the Security Update 2019-003?

Update your @dosdude1's boot device with files from SU-2019-003 as @nospamboz's explained in this post. Boot from that device and reapply Recovery patch. Patch the SU-2019-003 standalone installer following the advice in the first post. The update will fail at the very end. Reboot into @dosdude1's boot devices and reapply patches.

System is on latest kernel, but SU-2019-003 won't show up anywhere. I don't get "double boot" anymore and no more processes going wild - yes, I'm looking at you distnoted and soagent.

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I finally figured it out. I had to write and hack a script so I could easily update the High Sierra Recovery Partition from Security Update 2019-003. Once that was done, I was able to sucessfully run the High Sierra Security Update 2019-003 using the technique described on the first post of this thread.

If you are interested, I created a separate post on how you can update the High Sierra Recovery Partition without having to do a reinstall.

see
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just did the regular App Store update, which of course hung part of the way through.

However, I now have 10.13.6 17G7024. Is this build number meaningless in this context?

macOS 10.13.6 17G7024-edit.png

This is what shows up in System Report:

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 6.04.55 PM.png

As you can see, no 2019 Security Updates listed.

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Yes, the build number appears to be meaningless.

My system report shows the Security Update 2019-003 installed and I have the same Build number.

If the Security Update hung, it did NOT install. The last steps of the installation are very important including registering and activating the new components etc.

The main reason it hung is simple. Security Update tries to update your Recovery Partition with the latest Recovery Partition software and fails. You will need to update the Recovery Partition manually or delete it altogether first.

If you want to install the Security Update, you have three options:

OPTION 1. Backup your data and reinstall High Sierra on your unsupported Mac using Doddude1's installer BUT FIRST you will need to update Dosdude's installer with the last Recovery Partition software copied over from Security Update 2019-003.
(To do this, please see my post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/ )

Option 2. Update the Recovery Partition on your Mac with the latest Recovery Partition software from Security Update 2019-003. After that is done, you can install Security Update 2019-003. (If you no longer see it listed in the App Store, you may need to download it from Apple'e website, hack it as described in the first post of this Thread and then run it).
If you want to know hoe to update the Recovery Partition, please see my post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/

Option 3. Delete your Recovery Partition from your Mac. If it is not there, Security Update 2019-003 will not try to update it. As a result, Security Update 2019-003 should complete its installation successfully.

Good Luck.

Reactions: jlovell and EugW

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013

My system report shows the Security Update 2019-003 installed and I have the same Build number.

If the Security Update hung, it did NOT install. The last steps of the installation are very important including registering and activating the new components etc.

The main reason it hung is simple. Security Update tries to update your Recovery Partition with the latest Recovery Partition software and fails. You will need to update the Recovery Partition manually or delete it altogether first.

If you want to install the Security Update, you have three options:

OPTION 1. Backup your data and reinstall High Sierra on your unsupported Mac using Doddude1's installer BUT FIRST you will need to update Dosdude's installer with the last Recovery Partition software copied over from Security Update 2019-003.
(To do this, please see my post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/ )

Option 2. Update the Recovery Partition on your Mac with the latest Recovery Partition software from Security Update 2019-003. After that is done, you can install Security Update 2019-003. (If you no longer see it listed in the App Store, you may need to download it from Apple'e website, hack it as described in the first post of this Thread and then run it).
If you want to know hoe to update the Recovery Partition, please see my post:

Option 3. Delete your Recovery Partition from your Mac. If it is not there, Security Update 2019-003 will not try to update it. As a result, Security Update 2019-003 should complete its installation successfully.

Good Luck.

Solved. I used Option 2 with Optional Update USB (not tested yet).

I applied Recovery Patch (dosdude1) after has been updated via App Store.

Captura de pantalla 2019-05-16 a la(s) 12.41.51.png

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

Good Luck.

Thanks for the explanation. For myself I like option 3. I honestly don't ever recall having to use my Recovery Partition since before Lion and having Dosdude's macOS installer on a flashdrive on hand makes it redundant anyhow.

My question is, if I was to clean install High Sierra again (I've been meaning to do that anyhow), and use this process (described here) to delete my recovery partition after the install, would that mean updates to HS through the MAS would no longer hang or fail?

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I have never really tried Option 3. But it should work. A Security Update should not try to update or even create a Recovery Partition if one does not already exist.

But if My Option 3 above does not work for you, you may have to try this Option -- I will call it Option 4 -- described earlier in this thread (Page 177) by nospamboz. With Option 4, you do not need a Recovery Partition.

Option 4: "Download and expand the security update package as in post 1. In addition to the edits in post 1, locate the RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts/ directory and edit the replaceRecovery file. Edit the two lines starting "/usr/bin/hdiutil" to start "echo /usr/bin/hdiutil". Edit the two lines starting "./Tools/dm" to start "echo ./Tools/dm". (In all cases you simply add "echo " to the beginning.) Then flatten and install the update package as described in post 1. This updates your system but leaves the recovery unaffected." (See Page 177 of this Thread)

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I have never really tried Option 3. But it should work. A Security Update should not try to update or even create a Recovery Partition if one does not already exist.

But if My Option 3 above does not work for you, you may have to try this Option -- I will call it Option 4 -- described earlier in this thread (Page 177) by nospamboz. With Option 4, you do not need a Recovery Partition.

Option 4: "Download and expand the security update package as in post 1. In addition to the edits in post 1, locate the RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts/ directory and edit the replaceRecovery file. Edit the two lines starting "/usr/bin/hdiutil" to start "echo /usr/bin/hdiutil". Edit the two lines starting "./Tools/dm" to start "echo ./Tools/dm". (In all cases you simply add "echo " to the beginning.) Then flatten and install the update package as described in post 1. This updates your system but leaves the recovery unaffected." (See Page 177 of this Thread)

Thanks. I can't seem to be able to delete my Recovery Partition anyhow (using the terminal procedure linked in my previous post), I keep getting the following error:
==========
Started erase on disk0s3 Recovery HD
Unmounting disk
Error: -69874: Couldn't modify partition map
==========

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.