Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I honestly don't care about marketshare or if anyone else buys a Mac

Their loss

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
How mush is OS X really worth? I was in my local Best Buy today and both HP and Sony have Dual Core laptops with 3 & 4GB of ram 320 & 520GB hard drives and they were both on sale for under $800. I am huge Mac fan and have owned Apple products for years now but how long can people just simply say "but it does not run OS X" so back to my original question what is OS X really worth?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8893094&type=product&id=1211587729687

Yeah I already know that everyone here at MR will laugh and call this laptop junk etc.... I am only using this HP model as a reference point I could care less if you think its junk or not.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I love OS X please don't misunderstand me I am only asking what is it really worth in today's market? when the internal components used to make laptops and desktops computers are dirt cheap.

What is it worth to you to avoid:

Spyware
Malware
Viruses
Security updates every day

and so much more?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Gee, lets make this a PC v. Mac thread
How unique

OSX is worth what the market will bear like anything else

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Do not turn my words around I asked a very direct question, what is OS X really worth and I used a current model PC laptop as a reference point that's all.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I love OS X please don't misunderstand me I am only asking what is it really worth in today's market? when the internal components used to make laptops and desktops computers are dirt cheap.

Also, there are normally a lot more ports and slots and stuff on the non-Apple laptops.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do not turn my words around I asked a very direct question, what is OS X really worth and I used a current model PC laptop as a reference point that's all.

Your very direct question had little to do with the OP's thread
You began comparing hardware costs, etc.

The worth of OSX is not related to the cost of a PC

I answered said question and posed one of my own

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Your very direct question had little to do with the OP's thread
You began comparing hardware costs, etc.

The worth of OSX is not related to the cost of a PC

I answered said question and posed one of my own

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I think what he's trying to say is that people are likely comparing the price differences between similar specs and going for the cheaper ones because they are getting cheaper much faster than Macs.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
any fluctuation inside +/- 0.5% is uncertainties, really means little. Last month MR actually posted a thread in news discussion celebrating 0.11% "increase" from this same source..... Its abuse of statistics IMHO.

The main thing I got from this data set, is that OSX's market share (collected by net applications, mainly represent US market) has reached a temporally, or permanently, plateau, or peak, and didn't change much in past 8 month:

The cap is to be expected, with apple's model, its physically not possible to expand continuously.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Looks like summer school shopping might not be favoring Mac. Downturn on the horizon? Discuss...

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11
Did you really look at the chart?

September 2007:
- Mac OS --> 3.39%
- MacIntel --> 3.24%
- Total --> 6.63%

July 2008:
- Mac OS --> 2.52%
- MacIntel --> 5.23%
- Total --> 7.75%

Of course the Mac OS, read PPC version, is on the decline because PPC Macs are not being built now, and haven't been for quite a while. Notice that the MacIntel (Intel based Macs) percentage is increasing the whole time.

Regarding total Mac OS percentage, we have seen a 1.12% increase over the past 10 months.

Not bad at all.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Did you really look at the chart?

September 2007:
- Mac OS --> 3.39%
- MacIntel --> 3.24%
- Total --> 6.63%

July 2008:
- Mac OS --> 2.52%
- MacIntel --> 5.23%
- Total --> 7.75%

Of course the Mac OS, read PPC version, is on the decline because PPC Macs are not being built now, and haven't been for quite a while. Notice that the MacIntel (Intel based Macs) percentage is increasing the whole time.

Regarding total Mac OS percentage, we have seen a 1.12% increase over the past 10 months.

Not bad at all.

I was actually refering to the recent month drop (or no gain).

jplan2008

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
I was actually refering to the recent month drop (or no gain).

That's why companies look at full quarters and year-to-year. I'll agree with Clevin that you can't really say anything from one month. (I don't think Apple has reached their upper limit, though). If you go back to 2007, you'll see the same thing happend from May 2007-June 2007. But each quarter the sales of Macs goes up faster than industry average. I'm not sure I would have bought much or even gone in an Apple retail store from July 11 to whatever day they started the ticket-issuing system, so if anything has hurt Mac sales my guess is that it was the crowds and lines for the iPhones for a few weeks. If that's the reason, it's obviously not a trend (other than a trend towards increased iPhone sales), just a little blip.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Now if the MacIntel version was dropping, then that would be worth noting.

it is, 5.25%->5.23%. The number is too small to be meaningful. but it is actually the first dip in that chart (11 months record)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
it is, 5.25%->5.23%. The number is too small to be meaningful. but it is actually the first dip in that chart (11 months record)
No disagreement there.

I should have been more specific.

I discounted this very small percentage change (0.02% or 0.0002) because it is insignificant.

Where as the Mac OS (PPC version) dropped from 2.69% to 2.52% which is a 0.17% drop. A drop of almost 0.2 is enough to be meaningful.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
The numbers here are only loosely related to market share.

According to this web site:

We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is summarized on a monthly basis.

In other words, it's the market share of the people who visit web sites that are their customers.

Bad spelling, bad analysis. Next!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You are sooooo right Dawg! I've got a friend's PC I'm trying to get all that crap off of now. I said to them...just get a Mac already!!

I turn on my Mac and just get busy doing what I need to do <spend time on MR>

I boot into Windows (on my Mac) once a week and I spend so much time downloading updates for Windows, downloading the AVG updates for antivirus protection, updating the Windows security, and then, my processing power is diluted by the background scans... I'm exhausted before I can do anything

How much is OSX worth?
It's weight in gold

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I turn on my Mac and just get busy doing what I need to do <spend time on MR>

I boot into Windows (on my Mac) once a week and I spend so much time downloading updates for Windows, downloading the AVG updates for antivirus protection, updating the Windows security, and then, my processing power is diluted by the background scans... I'm exhausted before I can do anything

How much is OSX worth?
It's weight in gold

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

You still don't get what dwl017 is saying. He's saying that a more powerful Windows machine can be bought with a price that is cheaper. With this price, you would not have "diluted" processing power for the most part. The point being is that Macs DO cost a lot of money. So the question then becomes...
"Is it better to run OSX at a premium...or run a 2x more powerful Windows machine?"
So...is the market becoming more "price aware" because of this? I see dwl017's point. I'm pretty sure this may cause less people to buy Macs...especially as Dells, HPs, and especially Gateways are cutting prices and offering discounts and rebates constantly...while Apples are well...need not to be mentioned. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.