Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've highlighted several new features coming in macOS Monterey, such as Low Power Mode and the option to erase a Mac without reinstalling the operating system, but there are some smaller tidbits that we wanted to share.

macos-monterey-tidbits-feature-copy.jpg

Animated Memoji on Login Screen

One small but fun new feature in macOS Monterey is the addition of a personalized Memoji on the login screen, complete with animated facial expressions.

Change the Color of the Mouse Pointer

A new Accessibility feature added to macOS Monterey is the ability to customize the outline and fill color of the mouse pointer so it's easier to recognize when it moves or changes to an insertion point, crosshair, hand, or other shape. The pointer can be customized in System Preferences under Accessibility > Display > Pointer.

'Go to Folder' Redesign in Finder

On macOS Monterey, the "Go to Folder" window in Finder has been redesigned and now features an improved autocompletion engine to help you get to the files or folder you're looking for more quickly, according to Apple. "Go to Folder" can be found under "Go" in the Finder menu bar, or by using the ⌘⇧G keyboard shortcut.

File Copying Enhancements

macOS Monterey features a new pie chart progress indicator when copying files. It is also now possible to stop or cancel a copy session and resume it later.

macOS Monterey is available now in beta for developers, with a public beta to follow in July. The software update will be released in the fall.

Article Link: macOS Monterey Tidbits: Animated Memoji on Login Screen, Change the Color of the Mouse Pointer, and More

Last edited:

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Well lets see:

- the code to display short animations is used elsewhere, so a whole lotta nothing
- if you created no Memoji there is no Memoji
- displaying that Meomji on the login-screen, about 10 lines of Swift (being generous) resulting in 10k of extra binary size (which hopefully gets discarded after you logged in)
- whatever 1st year entry level developer did it in about 30min wouldn't have been of much use in areas that matter anyways

Yeap, 3 metric tons of bloat on this one....

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
The new additions in MacOS look very nice and beautiful. Too bad the people who recently bought a Intel based MacOS device will not be entitled to it at all. Just think of someone that purchased a 10k+ MacOS device??? Hello $pple!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The new additions in MacOS look very nice and beautiful. Too bad the people who recently bought a Intel based MacOS device will not be entitled to it at all. Just think of someone that purchased a 10k+ MacOS device??? Hello $pple!
The moment anyone buys a new mac, it can be outdated. But I’m sure the users of the 10k+ Mac Pro can continue to do tomorrow what they did yesterday. It’s all good man.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I'm guessing the Go To Folder auto-filling won't work on a non-mac formatted SANS connected since it doesn't index those.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I'm soOoo sick of this Memoji craze. When I saw the WWDC splash page full of those damn things' I was embarrassed that I'm an Apple guy. Made me feel like we should all be about eight years old to appreciate them. Okay, let the poison pens fly.
Do you get that angry when you walk passed a toy shop in the street, or do you just, you know, not go in? It’s the same here. It’s pretty easy to ignore if it’s not for you. But it is for many users a good thing. Should they be left out?

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Do you get that angry when you walk passed a toy shop in the street, or do you just, you know, not go in? It’s the same here. It’s pretty easy to ignore if it’s not for you. But it is for many users a good thing. Should they be left out?
English Lesson 101: 'embarrassed' does not equate to 'angry.'

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
English Lesson 101: 'embarrassed' does not equate to 'angry.'
Describing something as a ‘damn thing’ is an angry way for describing something, I’m any language. But I stand corrected, thanks for the lesson prof. Don’t assume someone’s native language on an internet forum where you can’t possibly know anything about said person. ?

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
It’s okay, we’re used to it. Over $35k Mac Pro here, will continue working as needed. Major fear is another dumpster fire of an OS release such as roughly half of Catalina. Big Sur has been pretty stable. Animated Memoji are over in the (shrug) pile, but I’m sure my 8 year old will think it’s rad.
The 4-5gb .point updates to OS which take half an hour to install and reboot the system 4 times are getting a bit tiresome, but progress… have much wider pipe for internet connect so may as well saturate it with something other than streaming Netflix or afore-mentioned kid playing fortnite.
Happy 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.