Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Surely Apple marketing thinks a large enough group that would help ensure some part of annual revenue growth is interested in memoji’s.
Yeah, millions and millions of today’s potential customers. Which are far more valuable customers to have than customers that, at most, have only 2 or 3 more system purchases ahead of them.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Good to know the revolutionary changes that Apple is bringing to Monetery OS. MacRumours is literally digging deep to enumerate the changes that Monterey is bringing to the table.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Good to know the revolutionary changes that Apple is bringing to Monetery OS. MacRumours is literally digging deep to enumerate the changes that Monterey is bringing to the table.

Shortcuts is a pretty big deal.

Safari changes are pretty extensive (Tab groups are probably the most useful thing to me, but YMMV)

Facetime improvements are nice. Relatedly, shareplay has a lot of potential as third parties add it to their apps. Would have loved those sdks back when I was writing EDA tools - would be very useful to share a CPU layout on the screen and talk about it with folks as wires are dragged around and timings are recalculated)

The quick notes stuff is nice, and will likely replace a third-party app I already use to do something similar (and which does not have quick notes’ ability to understand what the note is attached to)

Universal Control looks fantastic, and means I can put away Synergy. And being able to drag and drop between devices is great.

Airplay to mac could be very nice for some folks.

Live text, if it works well, will be very useful for me. I currently use TextSniper all the time, and this looks to be much better.

Mail privacy protection is nice, but long overdue.

iCloud+ stuff is all great.

Overall, not a bad year for mac.

There are also MANY changes to catalyst and to UIKit sdks, which will make it much much easier to make apps that run well on both ipad and mac. This should mean we start to see a lot more ipad-derived apps that act like real mac apps From third parties.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Memoji getting all the attention in this thread, but that updated Go To Folder is what I’m excited about. Anyone have a sense if it will work for quick access to NAS storage?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What in sam-hil. why would anyone wanna change mouse pointer color ?

I guess that action of moving the pointer quickly to make it big (easier to see) didn't actually work..lol

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
do you mean 128 GB? 128 mb ssd seems really small.
128 MB? Luxury!

PBSSD.jpg

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Shortcuts is a pretty big deal.

Safari changes are pretty extensive (Tab groups are probably the most useful thing to me, but YMMV)

Facetime improvements are nice. Relatedly, shareplay has a lot of potential as third parties add it to their apps. Would have loved those sdks back when I was writing EDA tools - would be very useful to share a CPU layout on the screen and talk about it with folks as wires are dragged around and timings are recalculated)

The quick notes stuff is nice, and will likely replace a third-party app I already use to do something similar (and which does not have quick notes’ ability to understand what the note is attached to)

Universal Control looks fantastic, and means I can put away Synergy. And being able to drag and drop between devices is great.

Airplay to mac could be very nice for some folks.

Live text, if it works well, will be very useful for me. I currently use TextSniper all the time, and this looks to be much better.

Mail privacy protection is nice, but long overdue.

iCloud+ stuff is all great.

Overall, not a bad year for mac.

There are also MANY changes to catalyst and to UIKit sdks, which will make it much much easier to make apps that run well on both ipad and mac. This should mean we start to see a lot more ipad-derived apps that act like real mac apps From third parties.
I am coming from Windows and this is my first year on Mac. I plan to get an iPhone 13, and an iPad pro next year. However, I can understand how important it may be for others. I am mostly looking for more reliable bluetooth connection that they have not been able to deliver in four iterations of Big Sur. My Logitech mouse keeps dropping its connection every minute. They should focus on such basics rather than on cosmetic features such as memojis? Just my two bits.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I am coming from Windows and this is my first year on Mac. I plan to get an iPhone 13, and an iPad pro next year. However, I can understand how important it may be for others. I am mostly looking for more reliable bluetooth connection that they have not been able to deliver in four iterations of Big Sur. My Logitech mouse keeps dropping its connection every minute. They should focus on such basics rather than on cosmetic features such as memojis? Just my two bits.

My apple mouse never loses its connection.

Welcome to apple‘s ecosystem - where if you want the best chance of stuff working well, you stick to apple’s own products (sadly).

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Choosing the Memoji for login also changes your iCloud and Messages etc. image, which I didn't realize/want. My resting Memoji face that animates has a very unflattering expression. Also the animated emoji, at least so far, don't work for me most of the time. So, went back to photo for now. But it was fun while it lasted.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could you explain, in purely technical terms, how a small animated image on the login screen 'bloats' the operating system?
First it's cached to your user profile - meaning it would take up a bit more disk storage, not to mention a bit of complexity to your user profile - especially if associated to an Active Directory or Open Directory domain - on top of KeyChain additions.

How specifically technical or how much storage space would be used - I don't know but I think what I typed gives you an idea.

More importantly why isn't:

Mail - Rules setup per mailbox per user NOT synchronized in iCloud?
Mail is an iCloud FIRST app from it's dawn, heck even from MobileMe era. Why is RULES and synchronization SO DAMN hard to resolve? IS every executive and employee at apple using a local client rules to move emails into a folder? does anyone at Apple fully USE iCloud rules and Mail and not see every IOS major update breaks rules sync?

Mine are simple:
Email from blah blah - move to Fitness/Online purchases etc.
Email with 'Track/Tracking/Shipping' in Subject line (I'd like Subject and Body btw) move to folder - Tracking.
these are VERY simple and I'm using the FULL email primary SMTP address.

Anytime you add multiple SMTP's in an iCloud MAIL rule - it'll break after a few days of working. Like how can apple be SO GOOD at FaceID, Touch ID, anything security related but email and rules and local to cloud sync is so challenging to them on THEIR platforms? This is embarrasing.

Honestly this feature ALONE I think would be used by a MUCH greater macOS, iCloud, iPadOS, WathOS, and iOS user base than animated memoji on macOS Montery.

Apple - Fix whats broken first before implementing new changes that add more to code and cause more issues to fix down the road. Wait a minute I think Apple knows this and THIS is WHY they avoid fixing bigger issues:

Mail:
iCloud Rules breaking.
no local client Rules to sync (from macOS, iPadOS, iOS native Mail client to sync on Mail in iCloud and across devices)?
iMessages in iCloud - remember this 6yrs ago?
^ STILL not fixed. It works ONLY on iPadOS, iOS, macOS but NOT on WatchOS.
>> more specifically SMS and iMessage sync (for arrival, read, or delete) works on macOS and iOS and iPadOS ...

SMS messages does NOT sync.
* actually in fact as far as prior to Big Sur macOS iMessages would say if you deleted on iOS.

So FIX what we NEED and use daily vs adding frivilous icandy features.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
'Go to Folder' Redesign in Finder

On macOS Monterey, the "Go to Folder" window in Finder has been redesigned and now features an improved autocompletion engine to help you get to the files or folder you're looking for more quickly, according to Apple. "Go to Folder" can be found under "Go" in the Finder menu bar, or by using the ⌘⇧G keyboard shortcut.

Yes, finally! 🎉

That always felt oddly archaic. It did have autocomplete, but it was so slow you almost weren't sure it worked.

(I hope this applies to open/save dialogs, too?)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Describing something as a ‘damn thing’ is an angry way for describing something, I’m any language. But I stand corrected, thanks for the lesson prof. Don’t assume someone’s native language on an internet forum where you can’t possibly know anything about said person. 👍
But you yourself did EXACTLY that. I guess that's the real lesson here - not just for you but for all of us.
Breathe in, breathe out. we all make mistakes. all of us.

Cheers

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm soOoo sick of this Memoji craze. When I saw the WWDC splash page full of those damn things' I was embarrassed that I'm an Apple guy. Made me feel like we should all be about eight years old to appreciate them. Okay, let the poison pens fly.
I love the Memojis. If anything, I think they should make them more prominent. Bring them out of the Messages app and into their own app. They deserve it! They're fun and cute. I'm ~40 years old by the way.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I love the Memojis. If anything, I think they should make them more prominent. Bring them out of the Messages app and into their own app. They deserve it! They're fun and cute. I'm ~40 years old by the way.
Don’t you dare mention fun whilst talking about such a serious topic as computing.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
My apple mouse never loses its connection.

Welcome to apple‘s ecosystem - where if you want the best chance of stuff working well, you stick to apple’s own products (sadly).
I have a magic mouse 2. My kid says it works well on his iPad Air 4. I am not satisfied at all. I mean, it is quite good as long as I do not have to move the mouse. Once I have to move the mouse, it feels clunky. I may be at fault here, but it is what it is.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Memoji at login. Why? It's stupid stuff like this that make macos bloated. Again, my 9 year old rMBP shouldn't run Windows 10 better than Catalina.
We're not all children here excited about this Memoji junk. I'm still running Catalina on my 2019 16" MBP. I upgraded to Big Sur several months ago and then went back to Catalina a month later.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Not sure if this is new in os 12, but have others noticed that the ability of the Esc key to exit Full Screen varies in different apps, even among native Mac apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.