Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Memoji at login. Why? It's stupid stuff like this that make macos bloated. Again, my 9 year old rMBP shouldn't run Windows 10 better than Catalina.
no.
There's extra superfluous code for "eye candy" things, therefore the codebase has got larger. I think most of the users would like to to see bugs fixed and more useful features added to the system.

I'm soOoo sick of this Memoji craze. When I saw the WWDC splash page full of those damn things' I was embarrassed that I'm an Apple guy. Made me feel like we should all be about eight years old to appreciate them. Okay, let the poison pens fly.

Come on, guys. This looks like a ~500KB swift file that they just randomly dropped somewhere in the System Folder. Probably something a developer did during their lunch break and emailed to Craig.
It’s not going to break down your $1699 MacBook Pro. Chill out and let other people enjoy their tech.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Change the Color of the Mouse Pointer

Does it do cursor trail like Windows '95?

no.
There's extra superfluous code for "eye candy" things, therefore the codebase has got larger. I think most of the users would like to to see bugs fixed and more useful features added to the system.

Spotlight search bar in serious need of improvement, its about to be a joke now compared to stuff like Alfred

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I am glad we are not stuck with the default purple colour aesthetic of this version of MacOS.
It will be the first thing to go when I get an M1X/M2 iMac. If I have to use terminal to do so, so be it.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
people really need to chill the f out about memojis

i’m not a big fan, but i just ignore it like other features that don’t bring value to me, as long as it is not forced (how it was initially in emoji keyboard) everything is fine

and i’m actually excited for this one use of them

Reactions: srbNYC

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Oh, please no. Hopefully, all this crap can be optional but I think I would be cautious about buying 128MB SSD (if that is available) from now on. All this little stuff ads up and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Until the system slows down and is hardly as fast and efficient as it used to be then what you're saying is nonsense. The truth is MacOS has become more streamlined with faster performance. You're suggesting Apple doesn't remove old useless code, but rather just adding more. Your post has no credibility if you can't prove otherwise.
It is nowhere near as efficient as it was. It is full of bloat.

There is nothing wrong with them adding stuff, sure some people will want to use it. However we should go back to the point where the user can decide what gets installed like it did during the Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard days.

Reactions: mdriftmeyer

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
It is nowhere near as efficient as it was. It is full of bloat.

There is nothing wrong with them adding stuff, sure some people will want to use it. However we should go back to the point where the user can decide what gets installed like it did during the Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard days.
That's a very bland line. You need to explain that and prove how it's "bloated" or it means zilch!

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
That's a very bland line. You need to explain that and prove how it's "bloated" or it means zilch!
For the OS to run even relatively smoothly you now need a SATA SSD, if it was as efficient as it's always been you should still be able to run the OS on a mechanical drive. For it to run properly you need an NVMe drive.

You stated it was faster and more efficient than it's ever been, which is total hogwash.

Reactions: mdriftmeyer

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
Memoji at login. Why? It's stupid stuff like this that make macos bloated. Again, my 9 year old rMBP shouldn't run Windows 10 better than Catalina.
Apple has time for Memoji/Candyland. Apple fix Catalina and Big Sur bugs..ffs Digusted.

applesque

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
USA/Israel
Oh, please no. Hopefully, all this crap can be optional but I think I would be cautious about buying 128MB SSD (if that is available) from now on. All this little stuff ads up and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon.
do you mean 128 GB? 128 mb ssd seems really small.

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
I'm soOoo sick of this Memoji craze. When I saw the WWDC splash page full of those damn things' I was embarrassed that I'm an Apple guy. Made me feel like we should all be about eight years old to appreciate them. Okay, let the poison pens fly.
My 6 month old grand-daughter rolled her eyes:rolleyes:

Trenches

Suspended
Mar 31, 2021
Dude, we all know what you need to do here. You’ve avoided it. Spend 25 guiltless minutes obsessing over your perfect memoji. We won’t shame you if you want to add that nose ring in and don’t have pigtails in real life. ?

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
I am still running Snow Lepoard 10.6.8 that runs smother than Catalina 10.5.7. Apple wake up.
Oh so you're saying that your Snow Leopard Mac runs smoother than a Mac that shipped with Catalina? I'm sure that's not what you're saying. You're yelling at the wrong person to wake up.

Reactions: hatchettjack

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
I am still running Snow Lepoard 10.6.8 that runs smother than Catalina 10.5.7. Apple wake up.
It’s leopard ? but how ? you are to be running such an old os! We are not worthy of you here on macrumors! ? maybe if you were on Big Sur spellcheck would have worked better for you

Reactions: Maconplasma

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Three pages of posts of tech-minded people debating, complaining, and even getting insulty and rude to one another about a whimsical option to put a cartoon of yourself in your startup screen.

We're doomed.

• Haha
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
PS: Relax, kids, and take a breath. If you change the cursor color, say, to blue—you also get a blue pointing hand when it hovers over a button. Fun!!!!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014

Just another bit of “that crazy uncle nobody understands” part of Apple.

Users are too sophisticated and grown-up to benefit from certain interface affordances of old that promoted intuitive function, but…memoji’s and animoji’s.

Users no longer need those special “Apple secret sauce” visual interface affordances built on decades of user research that made things felt like they “just worked,” so look ahead to the future and make things as simple and plain and sometimes vague as possible, but…we have 1940’s flat-design phone headset icon (who uses those anymore?), 1970’s flat-design camera icon (who uses those anymore), envelope icon for mail (how many send letters outside of the occasional non-paperless utility bill anymore).

Surely Apple marketing thinks a large enough group that would help ensure some part of annual revenue growth is interested in memoji’s.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maconplasma

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Note: It only animates if you choose the default expression and not one of the poses.

“yeah, but if that hypocrite Timmy really cared about the environment, this wouldn’t even be an option because it needlessly uses more energy.” (Working on a machine learning model to automatically generate macrumors forum posts :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.