macOS Sierra and Later Not Listed in Mac App Store Purchased Tab, Updates Not Tied to Apple ID

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2017.

1. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I guess what we need is a utility or terminal command that will enable us to edit the certificate expiration dates.

2. just.jon, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

just.jon macrumors newbie

just.jon

Those sound like appropriate and professional greetings to me. I understand that you have an axe to grind, but criticizing a support representative for the way that they greet you is petty and irrelevant to the issue.

That is correct. This is a thread about a decision that was made by Apple without any notice or explanation. It would be ideal that posts are related to that topic.

3. iMacC2D, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

4. Bob-K macrumors member

The problem, arpi, is that for most people, Sierra does not appear in the “Purchased” list. Your situation is uncommon. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a feature, not a bug, starting with Sierra (per an Apple support web page). No one knows why it’s appearing in the Purchased list for some.

5. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

I've got the app installer for Sierra downloaded if you need it.

6. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I had that experience when my nMP 8-core was going Tango-Uniform. What I thought would be steps to a replacement unit ended being just another "Your Call is Important to Us" scenario. -And so I returned the nMP.

7. Mainyehc macrumors 6502a

Mainyehc

To be fair, deprecating Sierra downloads isn't the end of the world, really. I seriously doubt that an updated version of High Sierra won't run most apps properly, on all the same macs that run the former (per Apple's system requirements, the list of supported machines hasn't changed this time around). If they had dropped SL or Lion from the list, well, I *wold* blow a gasket, as those ones are the last OSes supported in some older machines. Also, for those who are oh-so-worried about APFS, it's not like Apple forces you to update to it, specially on older machines owned by upgrade-averse people.

Finally, I didn't want to blame the victims too much here, but any self-respecting power-user and Mac maintenance pro has backups of all of Apple's installers, ever since the last scare they foisted upon us. https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/28/apple-pulls-older-purchased-mac-software/

8. organicCPU macrumors 6502a

organicCPU

That direction would have its own problems. I read about someone who replaced the '_CodeSignature' folder of one installer with another one, but haven't tried that. Nevertheless, IMO fiddling around with certificate editing is a bit of security mess as one won't get the original key or cert to resign the expired certificate easily.

Getting an installer from Apple that one can trust and is up-to-date looks to me like the only reliable real solution to maintain an older Mac in the long run. Of course I'm always interested in any kind of working strategy and even accept security breaching if there is no better approach.

9. jimthing, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Oh not this again. Look many users still need various versions of past macOS. Not you clearly, but others; yes.

Plus there's this other issue users here mention, of apparent expired certificates, which may/may not make any previously downloaded Sierra installer worthless anyway. Hence people likely needing access to fresh Sierra installer download from Apple.

For example, in my MAS "Purchased" history I have access to three previously downloaded pre-Sierra OS's (Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan). However, on my Sierra 2016 MBP, trying to re-download any of them is not possible, as it gives a warning message. Obviously they're not allowing newer machines on to older OS's, but also they are stopping you downloading them too.

I just resorted to using another Mac still on Mavericks, to grab them!

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 14.08.31.jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 14.07.26.jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 14.04.02.jpg

10. mlac007 macrumors newbie

Just saw this posted on Apple's website Sept 26, 2017 - (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904)

While it is not a solution to get the OS download, it does seem like Apple possibly still will let your mac download the non-latest version.

Start up from macOS Recovery
    macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS depending on the key combination you press while starting up. Hold down one of the following combinations immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. Release when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.

Command (⌘)-R
    Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.1

Option-Command-R
    Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.2

Shift-Option-Command-R
    Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available. This combination requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

1. If you're selling or giving away a Mac that's using OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Command-R to make sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID.
    2. If you haven't already updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

11. jimthing, Sep 28, 2017

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

And how does one then quit the installer after it's downloaded, and then use it on another machine/VM?

12. Lioness~ macrumors 6502a

Lioness~

I have all installers from Lion and forward on a HD were I save old ****, you never know when that could be needed. Have had its pros :D

13. TomM1 macrumors newbie

How would one acquire the app installer for Sierra From you?

14. novosirj macrumors newbie

This does not appear to be true in my case. I don't know what of MacOS my Mid-2011 iMac came with, but it let me download El Capitan yesterday from my "Purchased" section. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

How inconsistent this is surprises me.

15. Mac2013orlater, Sep 28, 2017

Mac2013orlater macrumors member

Myself only shares and confirms opinions expressed here by jimthing and
    BasicGreatGuy . For that reason iMac 2013 piece here is first and last computer of Apple brand in households of our family. High level arrogance shown by local reseller and AppleCare staff, poor competence expierenced from first day on of my contacts with Apple world, same software quality one gets elsewhere for half of price here. Initial migration to OS X platform with massive problems, same on upgrade to newer major version some years later. Satisfying level of productivity not possible due to crazy limitations in functionality and tones of bugs, strange design of interactions (e.g. shortkeys show level of ergonomics).

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

They removed the share as ringtone feature from Garage Band?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25022?locale=en_US

17. _windrider macrumors newbie

_windrider

Go here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US and get the 10.12.6 Combo Updater disk image.

18. organicCPU macrumors 6502a

organicCPU

Don't know if it still works. Last time I did that was with Lion and a system that originally had installed Lion.

1. Prepare an external (flash) drive (HFS+ Journaled)
    2. Install to your external drive via Recovery Mode
    3. As soon as the download completed and the Mac want to start rebooting, unplug the drive (not quite gentle).
    4. Boot to your internal drive and find something like InstallESD.dmg on the external one
    5. Make a bootable flash drive from whatever file you get.

Good Luck!

19. jasminetroll macrumors newbie

jasminetroll

Mission accomplished: after installing this command-line tool, the command
    mas install 1127487414
    purchased*, downloaded, and installed version 10.12.6 of

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 4.28.36.png

which then verified

[jtm@socrates ~]$ codesign -dv /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
    Executable=/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant_springboard
    Identifier=com.apple.InstallAssistant.Sierra
    Format=app bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
    CodeDirectory v=20200 size=321 flags=0x2200(kill,library-validation) hashes=4+3 location=embedded
    Signature size=4605
    Info.plist entries=30
    TeamIdentifier=K36BKF7T3D
    Sealed Resources version=2 rules=7 files=137
    Internal requirements count=1 size=124

and worked

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 4.54.06.png

correctly.

* By which I mean, the program not only downloaded Sierra, it did so using the Apple-supplied App Store frameworks in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks, resulting in an application bundle containing a properly-signed MAS receipt linked to my Apple ID.

20. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Security updates for Sierra are also no longer listed as installed updates, as if the update never happened.

Is this a LEGAL thing? Security updates for El Capitan always showed in the list. Hmm.

21. CrashX macrumors 6502

Download request failed.

Attached Files:

22. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

"mas install 1127487414" worked like a charm for me... hm. I downloaded macOS Sierra some time ago through Mac App Store using my Apple ID. did you?

23. CrashX macrumors 6502

No - I just stuck with Cap. When I discovered I'd never be allowed to step up to Sierra, I was hoping this workaround would allow everyone to bypass Apple's marketing department.

But hey - in a couple of years, hopefully they can lock us all down with a facial scan. It's all about enhancing our lives and removing un-necessary choices - they're just so stressful, don't we think?

24. Dukesy2020 macrumors newbie

Dukesy2020

Just wondering as I am refuse to upgrade to High Sierra, my MacBook Air has El Capitan, how would I use the .pkg file to upgrade it to Sierra? Sorry for the stupid question, just out of the game when it comes to Apple stuff.