Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I still believe there was no good reason to drop support for 32-bit apps. I have Steam games, video editing software etc. that functioned before but don't now. It's so stupid.
Yeah, I lost some great Steam games around that time as well. Many of them were never upgraded to 64 bit so now they're lost for me on the Mac platform.

Last edited:

XMI

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2023
Los Angeles, California, USA
If you are intersted in the new screen savers, then you are (by definition) the kind of person who is interested in screen savers. This also means you may be the kind of person who runs third-party screensavers (e.g. ones not made by Apple).

Public Service Announcement: in adding these new screensavers to Sonoma, Apple managed to totally break support for third-party screensavers.

So if you try to run non-Apple screensavers in Sonoma, you can look forward to all sorts of fun malfunctions, including blank screens, tons of dead/orphaned processes using zero cpu, orphaned processes using 100% CPU. I've even had the window manager crash completely, sending me back to the login screen.

It's... not good.

Apple is aware of the issues, but has no workarounds at this time, and appears to be intent on releasing Sonoma nonetheless...

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'll be sorely tempted to upgrade, but I will have to let my work computer sit with Ventura until I can be sure there are no issues with my mission critical apps like Illustrator and InDesign -- as well as the Google Drive client which we use to sync files.

Anyone on the betas using any of that software? Curious to hear how it's going. Thanks!

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I really wish Apple would stop with the yearly OSX releases. Its exhausting wondering if your apps are all going to be compatible and in the end I just end up waiting several months until I know everything works and there won't be an app I need that hasn't been updated or crashes regularly.

Just refine what we have and go on a two year cycle of upgrades. Then they will seem more significant.
I could go back to the 10.2-10.6 cadence, for sure

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Why they can’t release these features randomly throughout the year I don’t know. Apple has become a predictable boring mess. I guess I’ll still spend my money and download on day 1 etc.

Reactions: Pruus

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Doesn't game mode also offer more compatibility with non-native Apple Silicon games?
Or am I mixing things up? 🤔
That's not exactly right. They made it drastically easier for devs to port non-native games to Mac. We won't see the fruits of this for another quarter or two.

I was wondering if Baldur's Gate 3 was accomplished with this new tech, but it runs on macOS 10.15 "Catalina," so evidently not.

Zheez

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
i am thinking of just getting RC2... Running it on my intel mac for a while. I mean, that is basically what comes out Wednesday, correct?

That was my thinking and it can't be too different, but there will be some difference even if it is slight as RC2 includes the Feedback Assistant app. It's not like the iOS RCs where they could be (and are) released as-is.

Time will tell if Wednesday's release is the same build without Feedback Assistant or another one with fixes but I'd probably hold off.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Just thought, because they are actively selling m1 in the air and iMac does that mean the 5 years of new os compatibility for older Mac’s starts from after it goes off sale? I.e an m1 Mac should be able to run the new Mac OS that comes out in 2028?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The real hero's here are the every day people in here who put the Beta's on their only computers as soon as they launch.

I salute you, you have balls as big as church bells.

Hopefully they have full backups.

I'm just in the habit of testing my production stuff before upgrading my production systems.

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Looking forward to Sonoma! I don't really care much about the new features as much as I care about stability, but I can definitely see myself using Web Apps and Profiles.

Besides those, I really hope Sonoma would be more of a stable, Snow Leopard type of release. I had quite a few bugs with Ventura and was not very happy with it. Can't wait to finally upgrade from it :)

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I really wish Apple would stop with the yearly OSX releases. Its exhausting wondering if your apps are all going to be compatible and in the end I just end up waiting several months until I know everything works and there won't be an app I need that hasn't been updated or crashes regularly.

Just refine what we have and go on a two year cycle of upgrades. Then they will seem more significant.
I am wondering how many apps have not been compatible in the past, say 7 years?

So basically desktop widgets, safari tweaks and new screen savers.. so underwhelming
Just wondering what overwhelming updates your Windows machine has? The last major updated feature for Windows was in 2021 when they added multi-camera support for Windows Hello. Okay. This is so underwhelming then. 🙄

Apple can't win when half the people want amazing updates and the other half don't want them for several years.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Sorry Apple not this time, you screwed up the iOS 17 and watch 10 launch so badly if could downgrade new hardware to old OS, hint this is something you damn well should allow, i would. This release has been just about the worst for a tock release which was to just extend some minor changes on 16….. Watch os 10 is so bad i just wiped it and i have it on the charger i am not sure what to do with it. The complications are broke, and it’s just awful.

I have new apple hardware on my desk, for the first time in a long time, i am thinking an Apple Store return protest might be in order from me. I have been in tech a long time, and to get this far with so little changes and muck it up so badly is comically bad.
I have not had a single problem with iOS17 or Apple Watch 10. For Watch 10, other than people complaining about battery issues (which happens on every release.. ever...) the only other complaints I have seen have been the interface changes, which I actually love. What devastating problems have you encountered?

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
I have not had a single problem with iOS17 or Apple Watch 10. For Watch 10, other than people complaining about battery issues (which happens on every release.. ever...) the only other complaints I have seen have been the interface changes, which I actually love. What devastating problems have you encountered?
Yeah me too. iOS 17 has been unexpectedly very stable for me so far, I even feel like it has slightly improved the battery life for me. No issues with it at all so far.
Definitely looking forward to Sonoma 👍🏻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.