Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I do agree with yellow and PlaceofDis, though. This thread is just a huge popularity contest, and lets face it, popularity on an internet forum is very related to how often you post here, and how long you've been here. The members that people want to meet just happen to be the most prolific posters, and that's no coincidence. Think about the Jewish one. If you asked this question 6 months ago, MJ would be on 90% of lists. Once he stops posting 31 times/day for 6 months, he becomes "less" on these forums.

If you post here often, then we hear from you more often, learn more about you, and that's that. This also means that your popularity here is somewhat related to how big an internet geek you are, and how bad your "real" social life is. Is this a contest we want to win? ;)
I guess I don't count then. :rolleyes:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Then you'll get the gay vote --> :eek:

I do agree with yellow and PlaceofDis, though. This thread is just a huge popularity contest, and lets face it, popularity on an internet forum is very related to how often you post here, and how long you've been here. The members that people want to meet just happen to be the most prolific posters, and that's no coincidence. Think about the Jewish one. If you asked this question 6 months ago, MJ would be on 90% of lists. Once he stops posting 31 times/day for 6 months, he becomes "less" on these forums.

If you post here often, then we hear from you more often, learn more about you, and that's that. This also means that your popularity here is somewhat related to how big an internet geek you are, and how bad your "real" social life is. Is this a contest we want to win? ;)

Oh please. How many of us just hate our jobs and post here as a distraction?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just want to meet the people I PM or have iChats (word?) with. And some of the good folk who helped me out with the whole anx problem.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
ok, i wasn't going to take the time to do this
and i apologize to anyone that i leave out here, cause i want to meet so many.
now, not necessarily in this order...

Doctor Q - he made me a goddess
Iscariot
- he inspires me to climb higher
rdowns
- never fails to make me laugh
Abstract - (but only in a public place!) he makes me smile
MacDawg - i'd like to make him smile
ezzie1029 - she'd be fun to hang out with
iBlue - i think she could teach me a few things
xUKHCx
- he warned me
Teh Don Ditty - he warned me too
Neil321 -
a couple of reasons, one having to do with a broom, the other with what xUKHCx and TDD warned me about

Id like to meet you,but hey you knew about the broom :D as for the other thing,well i don't know what to say apart from i hope it don't scare you for life :eek:

As for meeting people the Demi's all seem a great bunch of guys & girls,there are few others but without going through the members list i cant remember all of them

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I like to meet you,but hey you knew about the broom :D as for the other thing,well i don't know what to say apart from i hope it don't scare you for life :eek:
I feel scarred/scared;) but I think it will fade in time.:) (The worst part was the heart palpitations it caused as I was sitting in church with people walking up behind me at the time.:eek:) But you're redeemed now, cause since you want to meet me, I don't feel the need to go back to my bucket just yet!

I do it for sheer amusement. :D
me too

Who doesn't post here as a distraction? That distraction can be from anything, I guess.
I love my job, it's still a huge distraction. :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm pretty sure you don't have to participate but making people feel like they're being creepy on account of their desire to meet someone offline is rather silly.

I'm not making anyone feel anything.
It is my opinion that this is a creepy thread. And I am not alone in this opinion, nor my dispensation to post thusly.

I can assure you, the "If you don't like it, then don't post" response won't work on me. ;)

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I'm not making anyone feel anything.
It is my opinion that this is a creepy thread. And I am not alone in this opinion, nor my dispensation to post thusly.

I can assure you, the "If you don't like it, then don't post" response won't work on me. ;)

As creepy as meeting folks from IRC! But then again, group meetings are not as bad as 1-1. Now that is creepy. :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As creepy as meeting folks from IRC! But then again, group meetings are not as bad as 1-1. Now that is creepy. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Group meets are fun. Perhaps my distaste stems from my (clearly) anti-social inclinations? I've made it this far without meeting anyone.. :)

I wonder how age factors into this.. are the participants who are interested in meeting of the younger generation that grew up with things like AIM? Are the older folks more reserved in their desire to interact on a more personal level?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I had a lunch meeting with another Demi a couple of months back. I didn't think it was creepy. Met up again later with the same Demi and another 5 or 6 demis/MR members for a curry.

It's great meeting people in Real Life™ from MR.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I've met quite a few MR folks. Why is it creepy to want meet people from here?

i dont think its creepy at all obviously. i have no problems meeting people from the internet personally, so long as i've had a chance to get to know them.

/shrug.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I was thinking the same thing, but maybe I am just bitter nobody mentioned kingjr3.

OK, maybe not THAT creepy. Now since I pass through your town tonight, if I show up at your door, THAT would be creepy! :eek:

If you get to know people for a long time on boards, then it is not bad, I have done that before.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I feel scarred/scared;) but I think it will fade in time.:) (The worst part was the heart palpitations it caused as I was sitting in church with people walking up behind me at the time.:eek:) But you're redeemed now, cause since you want to meet me, I don't feel the need to go back to my bucket just yet!

me too

I love my job, it's still a huge distraction. :eek:

Thanks red it's good to know Im not in the dog house anymore,the ********* is a haunting pic i know but you was pre warned,god knows ( no pun intended ) if the vicar had seen it :eek:

As for people thinking it's weird wanting to meet other members WHY,other people with a common interest do it. I belong to fishing club who have a site and we meet up,it's not a chat or grooming site don't you know

Oh and if it's weird what up the meet ups ie picnic ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.