Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I concur ("conquer" if you are Carl from the Simpsons of course) with most everyone else so far.

But...yea, my 27" has alot of white space now, even with FF only taking up 60% of my screen normally. I miss the wider MR...even using a % value instead of pixel width would be nice.

Apples site is not exactly a forum where people write lots of text which will now run a little longer down than across.

Yeah, I'm not liking the "skinny" look either. On a larger monitor (24" here), there's almost as much white space to the sides as there is content in the center. It'd look better either expanded, or fill the useless space with something.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I Hate it!
&
What's with the
WHITE BORDERS MAN!
THATS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

It looks like we have little input on how things will look around here going forward,
and we support the site by coming here,
people always have to tinker around with established design
and usually not for the better
but for the worse.

This is a good example of the worst!

Last edited:

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Change is (usually) good. This new look caught me by surprise but is quickly growing on me!

MovingWater

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Canada
Looks great! A nice transition.

I'd prefer if the "front page stories" column was removed and the special sections (the two blogs and the guide) made 3 columns instead. Front page stories are just one click away anyway. Only the forums use the whole width.

The thick header also takes up lots of valuable real estate.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I like it overall... with two caveats.

I would like a three column design better, with recent news stories on the left and forums on the right.

Will we ever get thread previews when we hover over the thread title? This should have been added a long time ago.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Looks nice!

I've been using the MacRumors Minimal Safari Extension for sometime on my MBP to reduce some of the cluttler, but this layout will make me disable it.

Thanks for all the hard work!

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
In an era where most redesigns are awful (CNN and Gizmodo/Deadspin/etc), you guys did a great job. Very nice work.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The new buyer's guide is awesome. (Althought I don't think 'newest-to-oldest' is a good idea. It really should just be listed alphabetically. Having the list change order over time seems like it would be annoying.)

Making the iPhone section into an iOS section makes sense.

I don't care about the blue-tab's look one way or the other. (They seem bigger than the old tabs...are they? Not a big deal, that's just my only thought.)

I do NOT like the fact that the new iOS blog doesn't show current forum topics down the right side. I spent 95% of my time looking at topics right there and only 5% of the time going directly to the forum. I think this is a really good way to get casual story-readers to stop commenting on the forum. Is that the goal? Seems like the opposite of what you'd want.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Looks much better :], good job.. I think the next step is to change that awful logo:p

lobsterkatie

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Count me in the minority as well -- NOT a fan!! :mad: In addition to the white space on the sides, there seems to be a lot of space around all the individual elements as well (and is it just me, or has the text gotten bigger, too, not for the stories but for everything else?), which just means more scrolling and less efficient reading.

I agree that I'm sure it took a lot of work, and I'm sorry to rain on that, but it looks cheesy and dated to my eye. I think the other changes are good (feeds, etc), but I, for one, will miss the old layout a great deal.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Too much padding on the left side (at least in Firefox 3.6.x) causes needless left-to-right scrolling for 1024x768. Other than that, quite nice!

EDIT: Ha! I noticed that I didn't have an ABP exception for macrumors.com on my work machine. I can assure you I have since added that exception, and that it wasn't causing the problem! :)

Attachments

• mr.png
    mr.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I dig it, but why so constrained? Just a little wider please, maybe 20% more.

Looks Great and little contrained, wouldn't mind 20-25% increase. Gotta fill my 27in Cinema Display!!

Its nice, but even on my 20" screen i have big white borders each side, it feels like its been designed for non widescreen displays?

Maybe you hadn't realized - you can have more than 1 MR site (or any other site) on your widescreen monitor like I do.

Kudos to Arn and the rest of MR team for this site. Much better than before.

Few suggestions if you don't mind for fun:

Overriding The Default Text Selection Color With CSS3

Disable textarea resize: textarea {resize: none;}

Change Focus highlight: input:focus, textarea:focus { //whatever color and border to make it appealing rather than bland }

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.