MacRumors Forums Theme Change and New Platform

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by arn, May 31, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

When creating a new posts, and u insert a link from media sites (i.e Youtube.) the "media" tag is automatically used, embedding the video in the post..

if there a way *not* to do this and/or toggle this on/off ?

I realise MR is doing the same thing like embedded images.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We want you to embed the videos so they can be viewed without leaving MR.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could put the video link in as a URL like this. Is that what you are after?

Flat Spin and Prop Comes Off at Airshow

Code:
    [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5TIR1_ciQ][b]Flat Spin and Prop Comes Off at Airshow[/b][/URL]

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We'd rather have the videos embedded though.

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Shake it Off

ya, you have to hyperlink a word for it to not embed.

Attached Files:

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

ya, but after something like a toggle switch or short code..... anyway.. Youtube embed video doesn't look too bad as long as its in new line.

7. wovel macrumors 68000

Are there any plans to add back the feature that automatically combines consecutive posts from the same user? The options provided by the moderators are both extremely painful to use on mobile devices.

Also, it appears you can no longer respond to moderator PMs? Is this an interface bug in the mobile version or a feature for the moderators.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

If a staff member PM's someone on a personal nature, it'll be open for replies. However, if the PM is in regards to moderation of rules violations, those are locked because we want members who have questions about it to send them to us via the Contact form, which is linked to in each moderation message. That allows the administrators to review what was done, interview the moderators and respond to the member. This is by policy and we don't discuss these things in private between a staff member and a member. Its all about back room transparency for us and ensures the members get a fair review of their moderation.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The scroll to bottom/top arrows are now gone, that was a handy feature. Is this permanent?

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ah no. they were disabled temporarily while I was debugging something else. they should be back now.

arn

11. Tech198 macrumors G5

white space on right hand side on "Forum list" page. (its centering) your stats, Who's online etc.. but the whole thing jumps up on "trending now" and "New Threads" not sure if that was a change or old

12. lastcall macrumors member

lastcall

Can't reply.

"MacRumors Forums - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

What is this??
    (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

What is "insufficient privileges" ??

13. Weaselboy, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is usually because you are trying to post a reply in a thread a moderator has locked. You should see the lock like on the right of my screenshot.

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 12.07.20 PM.png

It may also be a forum like the politics forum where you do not have a high enough post count for access.

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

Can MR add "Itunes" word to Mac App store forum section ? since its not always clear that any iTunes posts also go in this section, yet the image doesn't reflect "iTunes" at all. only Mac app store.. MR is just assuming this ?

15. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I think that would just cause different confusion (Mac apps vs iOS apps). I do not think it is a big leap to look for iTunes in Mac Apps.

A.

16. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Is there a reason why the link to the last post in a thread is disabled unless a user is logged in?

This is the only web forum I've ever encountered that has such a restriction. I don't care to always be logged in, on every device when reading this forum.

Additionally, when replying to a thread, not being able to see the rest of the thread in context is something that's glaringly missing compared to other forums.

17. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I see that behaviour with XenForo elsewhere; it's not peculiar to MacRumors Forums.

A link to the topic appears both above and below the reply field:

above and below.png

You can use either of those links to view what's required in a separate window or tab.

18. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

It's just one of several annoyances on here designed to make you log in, I think. It's definitely frustrating when you haven't bothered to log in and constantly click the text expecting something to happen.
    Picture 3.png

19. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Test: fails to start at the specified time.

Can you fix the embeddding to respect start times?

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't seem to support embedded links with the start time set. Can you confirm this @arn

21. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Why hide the link when the posts are already public and freely available?

Yet, any anonymous visitor can access user profile details, without being a member, or being logged in -- which is the opposite of how other forums handle it.

To me, it's bass ackwards, and I've been online since the days of dial-up BBSes.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Pretty sure you can control some aspects of who can view your profile or contact you, for example.

23. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

But the majority of forums don't allow any profile information to be revealed unless one is logged in as a registered user.

In any case, the concealing the last post link is more of an annoyance, and I have yet to see any logical explanation for that behavior.

24. KALLT macrumors 601

The forum does not have a Safari pin icon (<link ref=“mask-icon”>). When I switch between front page and forum, the icon comes and goes.

25. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Any hope that someday I'll be able to turn off avatars?