MacRumors London Picnic 2009

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

::
    [​IMG]

The MacRumors London Picnic is an open event for all who wish to come down to the park, lounge around, drink cold beers, eat food, play frisbee etc. and meet other members of MacRumors. :)

Now in its fourth year, we've settled on a date:

Saturday 1st of August 2009
    from 1pm till sunset

:::::

Maps, directions and details now over here.

Why do we post this date so far in advance?
    Because in the past, people have travelled from all parts of the UK and from other countries to make it for the weekend. People usually need some advance warning to make their plans.

Where will it be held?
    A small group of picnic regulars are still discussing this year's location and will post it here with map and directions sometime before July. It will be in one of central London's large parks and handy to the Tube. Past picnics have been in Regent's Park and Hyde Park.

How many people usually turn up?
    Anywhere between 15-30, some stay the whole day, some drop in for a couple of hours. Everybody, regardless of age, is welcome. :)

What happens if the weather is looking bad?
    We usually post a Plan B a week or so beforehand for those who still would like to meet up. This may involve a large pub in a central location, handy to the Tube.

What should I bring?
    Your iPod, some food, some drink, sunblock, shades... maybe a frisbee, or a football or something to sit on. You know, usual picnic stuff. No need to bring laptops, it's not a geekfest. ;)

How do I know what's going on?
    Bookmark this thread or subscribe to it. All details about location, times, weather, who might be coming etc. will be posted here in the coming months ahead. Any last minute changes or news will always be posted in this thread.

10 June '09 Edit: Maps, directions and details now over here.

~ Look forward to seeing you in August! ~

::

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yay! Picnic time again. And, disasters and foreign trips withstanding, I'll be there this year :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Best warn the grass then... :D

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We're seeing teh parents™ this weekend and we'll book them in for a spot of babysitting that weekend. ;)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yay, the thread's up with an explanation as to why this thread was posted so early. One or two people tend to comment on that each year.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Is it too geeky for me to go to London all by myself just to go to Macrumors Picnic? :D

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are there any US gatherings by chance? For those of us without passports haha

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Why? My girlfriend and I have attended the last two... and we've planned our trips around the picnic date... ;)

Will be trying to make it this year, too... :)

9. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Sounds like a larf - I may well drop by for the day. Being a London lad myself, I do love the city. :)

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No, just geeky enough. :p And the more the merrier. :)

11. St0rMl0rD macrumors 6502

Hum. With the state of the GBP being so close to EUR, the trip might be well worth the money, even more so if going to a geeky Mac meeting and meeting interesting people (read: women) that have same interests.

-J

12. Domanic macrumors regular

I might come, I'm only 50ish miles from London and I'll doubtlessly be sitting around bored otherwise...

13. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'll try to make it for this one. Sounds like great fun... :)

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

hmmmm... picnic or a prom? decisions, decisions.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

*wishes he could attend*

Mebbe I'll just raise a glass in the general direction of London...

How do you guys all know which group is the MR group? I mean usually picnics are pretty crowded in the summer...

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not like it's a MR group in a larger picnic: we are normally in a group with clear space around us. Parks are pretty big. Oh and we normally have some sort of large sign or signs too :p

17. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Seeing as I missed last year's due to work being evil, I'll try doubly-hard to be there this time!

Woohoo :)

18. bartelby macrumors Core

And normal folk try to avoid us. So the clear space around us is quite large.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Just look for the group with more iPhones... :D

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As others have said, normally we'll have a big sign or flag so we're pretty easy to spot. Also, generally a map will be posted up here showing the rough location so you know where to head and don't end up wondering around the park blindly.

If it helps, I'll be more than happy to wear teh shirt™ to help people spot us. The problem is, this is likely to lead to a clamour of people wanting to sit next to me and I don't want bartelby sulking again if he misses out.

21. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I haven't yet decided when I will take my annual London trip, but this would be a great opportunity. :) I love the city and I love Macs, so why not combine both?

22. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Wish I could go. It's just that it's a bit of an expensive way for me to go to a picnic.

Now, if one of you fine folks flies a TARDIS, I'll provide you with appropriate coordinates and then maybe we can check out Mac OS 10.9 on our way over. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

23. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Geek Picnic Alert!!

I heard there was going to be a 'Windows 98' users picnic on the same day in that park.....

*calls the police*

;)

24. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I'd love to go, but considering I am fourteen and have no transportation I can't guarantee my arrival. I would love to come, you should have it in the South West sometime, I'll be happy to find us a place and get directions. Being a southerner myself, the scenery is lovely in Cornwall.

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Windows 7 fanboys you mean
    [​IMG]

You know who you are :p