MacRumors needs an iOS 7 redesign?

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
Who thinks that the MacRumors site needs a redesign? The current one is a little old fashioned...

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Who thinks that the MacRumors site needs a redesign? The current one is a little old fashioned...
The forums certainly need a redesign.

The main site will get some tweaks, but I don't know if it'll be dramatic.

arn

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I don't mind it, but I recognize that it is "outdated" by current web design comparisons. The GUI of the website could be updated while maintaining its simplicity but I hope it doesn't veer towards "tiles", a la The Verge (no disrespect, I'm just not a fan of the interface. Although the colors are fun and the content is dicerse and interesting). I come here to MR because the conveyance of info (or rumors, per se) is so easily digested. I don't buy that newer is better by virtue, but only if it improves the UI.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Visually speaking things could get spruced up, but I'm not sure an iOS7 themed update is the best approach, especially given how many people really don't like the look of iOS7

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Forums graphics are new, fresh and beautiful. They also help attracting new users, with their modern look, and enhance the visual appeal overall.
:rolleyes:

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
We seems to follow this trend of form over function.

The forums work well "as is." This idea of getting old (for me) really says nothing. We have seen various man/machine interfaces go through updates that add absolutely no value and at times, detract from function.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

The forums work well "as is." This idea of getting old (for me) really says nothing. We have seen various man/machine interfaces go through updates that add absolutely no value and at times, detract from function.
So we should just give up ever trying to improve anything? Not every update works but if people don't try then we would all be using dos.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm fine with the design as it is. I find it easy to read and navigate.

While there are others far more informed than I on this subject, my personal opinion is that change for change sake is unnecessary.

The insatiable need for novelty does not, IMO, apply here.

But that's just one philistine's opinion...:p;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I find the MacRumors site relatively easy to navigate, and especially 'uncluttered' compared to some other sites.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I hope those coming changes won't result in more clutter, or visual distractions.

I like it the way it is. Old time Mac users like myself will not be happy if it ends up looking like iOS
I'm fine with the design as it is. I find it easy to read and navigate.

While there are others far more informed than I on this subject, my personal opinion is that change for change sake is unnecessary.

The insatiable need for novelty does not, IMO, apply here.

But that's just one philistine's opinion...:p;)

A massive, mega, profound, heartfelt 'amen' to all whom I have quoted above; you have expressed my thoughts and feelings on the matter exactly.

No tiles here please. Count me among those who like an uncluttered, plain, easy to navigate and above all, easy to read, forum.

Bells and whistles - and flashing tiles - for the sake of it - are off putting. And please do not attempt to elevate form over function. I loathe cluttered, flashy screens.