MacRumors page constantly crashing!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Good User Name, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Good User Name macrumors regular

It's been like this for at least a year now. It got better, then it reached a peak of unusability today. What's going on?

Attached Files:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What version of iOS are you on? I feel like this was an iOS issue more than anything we had control over

3. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

I'm now on iOS 9.1. It was less of a problem with the prior release but not by much. Heck, I was excited to add MacRumors to Apple News so I could finally avoid coming to the site via Safari but now I realize that that's unfortunately not as up to date as the site.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

What phone, may be more the question. When I had an iPhone 6 Plus, there wasn't much I could do on some sites with the 1 GB of ram. No issues with current 2 GB.

5. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 6 Plus. This isn't a problem on other sites.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I get this since the site upgrade, comes and goes but has continued through ios 8.4, 9.0 and now 9.1 but did not occur at all for me prior to the site change. iPad Mini. Varies from the occasional single page reload to multiples. Advert related? This is the only site I have ever seen it on.

7. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

It could be ad related. I've been using content blockers on the site (sorry Arn).

8. simonsi, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ooh - are there iOS ad blockers? Will take a look...hmmm the obvious ones don't support iPad Mini 1's :-(

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm on a 6 plus, iOS 9.1 and haven't had any problems.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I also use ad blocker and haven't had issues.

11. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

The problem seems to have resolved itself. For now.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It has always been intermittant for me so unless the site has changed something Id say that is perhaps (hopeful), coincidence or random nature :)

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just occurred when I reloaded this thread....

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'm on iOS7.1.2 using Safari on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2, and the crashing started way before the design change.

Going to New Posts is a guaranteed crash on both units, unless you quickly, before the page fully loads, reload and the stop reloading right after. Then it doesn't crash. Some long pages also crash them, but it is random, because you can often reload them and they will be fine.

We already have a loooong thread on the issue in any case, where the response was the same as what Arn gave above. Seeing people are also crashing on new iOS units though, is interesting to say the least.

Edit: Thread in question.

15. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

I use Refine and 1Blocker. Excellent additions to my iOS experience.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not sure whether this is related to last night's little adventure with the fake flash pop-ups, but I have noticed that the site has been crashing, hanging and stalling quite a bit today, and has been slow at times, too.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Had a first just now, the page repeatedly crashed and reloaded until it gave up. Maybe this is why these forums dont seem as active since the site "upgrade"....

Im sure you can see what threads I was trying to look at, shame as its been much better for the past month or so then boom, unusable.

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We talking about the forum pages? We haven't changed anything on these pages recently. Perhaps it was a bad ad?

arn

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Possibly, probably but this morning YOUR webpages are constantly crashing on my iPad mini. Almost cant use the site at all. Multiple forums ( inc this one). No other problems with any other website I use. I think you clearly have ad suppliers supplying you with ads that cause this. You dont seem bothered?

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's not that I'm not bothered but I need more information to track it down.

Again, are we talking about the forums exclusively or the front article pages too?

So the page loads and Safari crashes (exits out to home screen)?

arn

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The tab loads, reloads with a "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" message, that can, as of this morning, repeat until Safari gives up and stops reloading the page. It took 3 cycles of that before I could reply to this post so dont expect too much communications via this channel to help, the site makes that impossible. This is forum thread pages Im talking about, oh and no changes to my device either. No idea about front article pages, I dont go via those.

22. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Unfortunately the "problem occurred" issue is a hard one to track down.

I turned off your ads for the time being. Let me know if that fixed it.

arn

23. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Instant fix. Thanks

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Good to know. I'll see what I can track down with ads targeted at your region

25. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Back happening again this morning, guess youve turned ads back on and this is the first time Ive looked with the iPad, same occurs, repeatedly reloads the tab then crashes.

Hope the ad revenue is worth it.