MacRumors (Revised)

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
I am aware that MacRumors made some changes about a year ago to the site in visual and organizational aspects. I feel that Macrumors has some excellent organization and a great system for getting information out. Also the forum is setup really well.

My caring concern comes in with the visual aspects of the site. I feel that it needs a lot of help. I think the logo could be much more creative and professional. The color scheme is very watered down. The Graphics that are used on each news post are very poor. Among many other things that could be greatly improved upon.

I feel that content is strong, but the site doesn't reflect that. Is there anyway we could help out and put in a collaborative effort to spruce up MacRumors? I would love to hear some comments on what you think would be a positive help in making the site more successful.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Perfectly fine the way it is. If the color scheme goes dark, it'll drive away lurkers. As far as the logo is concerned, it's fine the way it is. I'd just like to see more emoticons available than the standard 11 we have now.

I'd like to see Search, New Posts and Quick Links be bolded or placed more prominently in the browser window.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
kjdenison said:
I think the logo could be much more creative and professional.
Why don't you like the logo? Did you know that it has a "?" integrated into the apple?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I think that the site is good as is. The color scheme is nice, and I am very familiar with the layout. I just love MacRumors...:)

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
Just interested to see if anyone had anything they noticed that could be improved. There is always room for improvement! I truly am not offended by the site by any means, just think it could be even better! Sorry to offend anyone, not my intention. :S

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
there's always room for improvement...

the site design is certainly not fancy by any means... just gets the job done.

I do actually like the logo though :)

arn

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
kjdenison said:
Just interested to see if anyone had anything they noticed that could be improved. There is always room for improvement! I truly am not offended by the site by any means, just think it could be even better! Sorry to offend anyone, not my intention. :S
I don't think you offended anyone. You just gave your opinion, thats all. I think the color/style is fine right now, but I wonder how it would look if it could have a more "OS X" feel to it....like the aqua interface and such.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
tech4all said:
I don't think you offended anyone. You just gave your opinion, thats all. I think the color/style is fine right now, but I wonder how it would look if it could have a more "OS X" feel to it....like the aqua interface and such.
I think the OS X feel gets old quick on a website.

arn

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
I completley agree with arn about how the site gets the job done. Comparitvelty MacRumors does the best "complete" job of all the rumor/news sites with some nice little twists.

To clear up my statement saying I dont care for the logo. I think that the concept is actually fine. It's to the point, yet has a bit of a creative spin. I think that if it was placed by itself its not the whole package. Instead of completley changing the logo, I think it could be optimized better.

Colors are very neutrual and don't get in the way of what is more important which is the content. It may be a personal preferance, but I feel they are fairly pastel and watered down though. What I would like to see is a better color coating system. Color is an amazing thing!! Bring in some nice color to headings to set apart articles, categories, make it easier to navigate through, etc. Also by using nicer colors the text will pop better and be easier to read/notice quickly. In reply to the comment about bringing in aqua, mac style coloring, I think that, that is overdone as well, but we do need to relate to apple better. Apple is a very colorful/creative company!

Layout is nailed pretty close, everyone is pretty used to it anyways and it wouldn't need to be changed much. I just feel that everything else that comes along with it needs a REFRESH!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
arn said:
I think the OS X feel gets old quick on a website.

arn
OS X "feel" to anything other than OS X is a bad idea IMO. It always looks OTT and tacky IMO.

I think the logo looks great as it is. Layout? I don't know, it could probably be improved, though I have no idea how :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The muted tones make this one of the least cluttered, easily legible, elegant forums I've come across. After spending some time here and then going to other forums, you notice how fussy, claustrophobic and cramped they feel.

Also, the avatars are enhanced by such clean-looking surroundings. :)

If I could change one thing, it would be to introduce some colour into the 'Search Forums' glassy button. It's a little bit lost on the side like that and I'm sure many people would use it if it was a little more prominent and perhaps placed beneath the 'search' field.

The logo? I like it. One of the better-looking logos around. It's warm, friendly and most importantly, it's not tecchy at all -- none of this brushed steel & glass hardness that seems to be de rigeur for tech sites.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I like the logo.... I don't mind the layout... the colors are nice....

No complaints here!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The logo looks like a green-haired guy with a red button nose squinting.

This site is one of the most pleasant to look at and read from. Very easy on the eyes, unlike a lot of other sites. Loads fast too when you're not getting "server busy" messages.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i like the site layout if you compare this website with other mac sites like spymac which i find a nightmare to navigate around then this site wins hands down ! the only other site that is good is apple.com and we don't all want to be copying that now

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I like the look of Cafemacs website...Pimpin' . But yeah i do agree that Macrumors could go for a little..ewtreme makeover. I am sure there are people on these forums that would be willing to add a bit of spice to the website....I would if i knew how...

DjVoTeZ

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The only thing I'd love for MR to have one day is a proper Gallery, easier said than done of course. Galleries require a huge amount of space/resource/bandwidth...maybe one day...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
When was the last time that the site had a true overhaul and what can really be done unless the forum software is changed?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The forums had a major re-working when they moved from vB2-vB3, maybe about a year ago (?).

In the days of vB2 the forums didn't fit in with the site at all, they were the default vB2 purple look I seem to remember. Things are a million times better now, and I think the forums fit in with everything great.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blue Velvet said:
The muted tones make this one of the least cluttered, easily legible, elegant forums I've come across. After spending some time here and then going to other forums, you notice how fussy, claustrophobic and cramped they feel.
I agree completely. Sometimes less is more.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
I also love the logo. The site is easy to read and get around in. If I were to complain at all about any one thing on this site, it's that when there are too many people trying to access it seems like it's down forever. I do not think it has been overloaded for awhile now, but it has happened. Wonder why? Of course I am not complaining and it's off topic anyway, back to topic, site is fine cannot think of any way to improve it's look.

Brian

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
edesignuk said:
The only thing I'd love for MR to have one day is a proper Gallery, easier said than done of course. Galleries require a huge amount of space/resource/bandwidth...maybe one day...
And pray tell, what would ye be postin' in said Gallery? Tis as if I dinna already know. :)

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
tech4all said:
Why don't you like the logo? Did you know that it has a "?" integrated into the apple?
Woah, I never noticed that. I can't get my eyes to stop focusing on the question mark! No, no, I liked the "old" logo! ;)

As for the site's design, I like it. All the other Mac rumor sites seem to be cluttered (Think Secret, The Mac Observer, Mac OS Rumors, Fly on the Mac, etc.). That's one of the things that really sets MacRumors apart.
-Chase