MacRumours Fantasy Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jaffa Cake, May 27, 2012.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

In a little under two weeks, the eyes of the footballing world will be focused on eastern Europe as the 2012 European Championships kick off. The continent's footballing elite will be competing for national pride and ultimately the Henri Delaunay Trophy – but also for the most prestigious prize the sport can offer, a MacRumors Fantasy Football Championship.

Euro_MR.png

We've run a fantasy football competition based on the Premier League for a number of years now, but this is the second based around an international tournament. The previous – staged during the 2010 World Cup – was won by Tilpots. No doubt though a host of other MacRumormongers will be eager to claim his crown as our International Champ.

The version of the game we'll be playing is the one being run by ESPN – many of us will be familiar with their fantasy site as it's used to run MacRumors leagues in a number of sports, including American Football and baseball.

How do I sign up?
    Simply visit the ESPN site and register your team – it's free to do so. Once that's done, drop me a PM and I'll send you back the code you need to join the MacRumors competition – if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful too! I'm planning on posting updates as the competition progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

How does the competition work?
    ESPN are running a slightly simplified competition for Euro 2012, as it's a rather short tournament (only six rounds in total). Unlike our Premier League game, there's no budget to worry about – like an international manger you've free rein to pick your perfect XI from the players competing. Each team has a 4-4-2 formation, so you need to pick one 'keeper, four defenders, four midfielders and two strikers – and in terms of transfers, you can completely rebuild your team from round to round.

The key with this game is to pay close attention to the fixtures and use your skill and judgement to pick the eleven players you think will rack up the most fantasy points in that round.

Scoring works in a similar fashion to the Premier League game, and is outlined on this page. Don't forget to assign one of your players as your captain – your skipper will earn you double points.

So prepare your squads and good luck!

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

3. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ace – I'll PM you the code.

Once pivo6 gets properly signed up, that'll take us to six participants so far. Plenty of room for plenty more, though. :)

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Hey Jaffa, I would like to join as well :)

PS. Love the logo

5. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'll PM you the details over.

On another note, I hope that everyone will be including Paul McShane in their teams. He's mint. :)

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm thinking about playing in this - since after watching half of a Premiere League season, I'm practically an expert. :D I even call it football most of the time.

7. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

get in!

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You would be a welcome addition ;)

9. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I demand that you enter. If anything, it'll be good practice for when you enter the main MacRumors Fantasy (Premier) League later in the summer. ;)

After all, if we're all doing it how hard can it really be? :D

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want in, but I don't even know the names of the players.

I suppose I'll pick Ronaldo......ANY player named Ronaldo. :p

11. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Any defence should be built around Paul McShane.

12. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

He qualifies. ;)

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm in!! When I get some free time later today (IE when I'm at work :D) I'll put an awesome team together! According to all indications, Paul McShane will be my first pick! :D

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

PM sent

the good news is that no matter what bad choices you take you can be sure that there are at least 11% of people are blithering idiots since obviously that many people have chosen Wayne Rooney for the first group match.. i suspect that number is to drop when those realize that he is still banned for 2 games ;)

side note: don't forget to look at the opposition for the players when you choose ... big names isn't always the best

15. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

my account name on there is cardiffcityreed. i created that back in my early days of following footy. i was a wednesday fan then but i was also following the bluebirds cos i was an idiot? yeah. that sums it up. i was keeping up with them because they were in a promotion battle. lol. now i can't change my name.

16. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

takao – I think we've found one of the 11% you mentioned. ;)

17. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Ugh, I'm already playing in the UEFA Euro fantasy league and don't fancy creating a whole other account / team. You all may breathe a sigh of relief. :D

Best of luck to you all!

18. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

They are breeding, 13.4%

Silencio; hope you beat Platini.

Cheers,
    OW

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

20. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I'd like to join if there is still room.

I think my first move would be to pick Rooney as my striker for the first 2 matches... ;)

21. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

22. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Right then – we're currently up to ten teams registered, but there's still time for further sign ups with just over two days left before the tournament kicks off.

However, if you're not signed up already I'm afraid you've missed the print deadline for the sticker album. :eek:

23. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Jaffa Cake,

What's with this sticker thing? 3 Ferdinands in my first pack :mad:.

Cheers,
    OW