Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Fantastic work on the kits :)

Although I fear a change is needed at the helm of Fizzistan after their late capitulation

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Congratulations to Oranje-Limburg and manager pivo6.

Team togs were :) Top 3 for me = Fizzistan, Royal Roy's Boys, and Woodingtonhampshire FC.

Mid-table for my lot. :( A game too far - need to get them to Jaffa Cake's training camp. We wear Black on the outside, because...:eek:

The rules:

I'd like to see a limit of 3 players from a single side through the Quarter-Finals, 4 for the Semi-Finals, and the Final as a separate round - 3 changes to the roster from the penultimate round allowed; a 7/4 split possible.

Well done pivo6.

Cheers,
OW

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Apologies for the delay, I've been very busy overseeing the closing ceremony. Those rhythmic gymnasts don't choreograph themselves, you know. :eek:

Here then is the final table...

Table.png

...and sure enough it's Oranje-Limburg who have clinched the 2012 MacRumors European Championship. Congratulations to them and their gaffer pivo6, whose strategy of picking heavily from the triumphant Spanish certainly paid off handsomely for him. :)

Oranje-Limburg_2012_Champions.png

I think it's worth mentioning too that as well as Oranje-Limburg we also have three other teams finishing in the top 10% of teams competing in ESPN's league – Pinstripe City, my own Sporting Car Flags and Dynamo Takao. Well done to those teams too. :)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Apologies for the delay, I've been very busy overseeing the closing ceremony. Those rhythmic gymnasts don't choreograph themselves, you know. :eek:

Here then is the final table...

...and sure enough it's Oranje-Limburg who have clinched the 2012 MacRumors European Championship. Congratulations to them and their gaffer pivo6, whose strategy of picking heavily from the triumphant Spanish certainly paid off handsomely for him. :)

I think it's worth mentioning too that as well as Oranje-Limburg we also have three other teams finishing in the top 10% of teams competing in ESPN's league – Pinstripe City, my own Sporting Car Flags and Dynamo Takao. Well done to those teams too. :)

Thank you very much. Yes, I was fortunate to have enough Spanish players in the semi/finals to take me over the top.

While the Dutch were very poor, we must remember the last line of Het Wilhelmus

den Koning van Hispanje
heb ik altijd geëerd

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
A couple of people have asked about my thinking behind the kits and numbers, so here's my thinking behind the kits and numbers. :p If I've not explained the number, I just went with one that worked nicely with the shirt and that would give us a good mix of digits.

Bulgaria
The colours are based on the flag of Bulgaria, the crest is the Bulgarian national coat of arms.

Cruyff International
As Don't panic guessed, the crest is Johan's signature and the shirt carries his favoured number 14.

Dynamo Takao
The shirt's colours are based on the national colours of Austria, the crest is the coat of arms of Innsbruck.

FC Pachyderm
An elephant-based crest on the blue and white of pachyderm's beloved Sheffield Wednesday, adorned with his favoured number 8.

Fizzistan
Another Wendie, so another blue and white kit. I remembered Fizzy mentioning that Grandpa Fizzzoid used to play as a winger in the olden days, so I gave him a winger's number.

New York Hitchikers
Don't panic has already picked out the choice of crest and number, and red of course is a colour of panic – you can't see the yellow streak down the shirt's back, unfortunately. ;)

Oranje-Limburg
The number comes from pivo6's username, the crest as he spotted earlier in the thread is the coat of arms of the province of Limburg.

Pinstripe City
Featuring the green and white of the New York Jets, the number featured in her username, and a crest based on the New York Yankees logo. With pinstripes.

Royal Roy's Boys
As their gaffer is a Reading fan, I took my inspiration from their famous blue and white shirts and simplified it down to a single hoop.

Sporting Car Flags
Don't panic was surprised not to see stripes – I traditionally use them on my team in the Premier League game, and go with plain amber for internationals. The crest is the three crowns of the city of Hull, and I share my surname with a former World Cup finalist – 6 was his number in said match.

Ukrainian All Blacks
Well... it's all black. The All Blacks rugby team use a silver fern leaf as their crest, this shirt uses the leaf of the Guelder-rose, one of the national plants of the Ukraine.

Woodingtonhampshire FC
Black and white, as befits Newcastle – and they love a number 9 up there. The crest uses the coat of arms of Hampshire.

Phew! :eek:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Fizzistan
Another Wendie, so another blue and white kit. I remembered Fizzy mentioning that Grandpa Fizzzoid used to play as a winger in the olden days, so I gave him a winger's number.
Which just so happens to be the same number adorned by one of Wednesday's most famous wingers
5958813450_e5531a4280.jpg

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Jaffa - I'll echo everyone else's sentiments - extremely well thought out. And very well done.

As far as the league, I had a blast and it makes me look forward to playing more Fantasy Football (the English kind ;) ). Thanks for letting me crash your party. :D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yeah fantastic work on the kits ... it took my quite the research to figure my own out since i didn't know the coat of arms from innsbruck .... most of the time the tyrol coat of arms is used more prominently ...

i like the details of even using favorite numbers and colors etc. great job ... too bad the next tournament is 2 years into the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.