Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

mrvollmer

not happy

I might have to go buy a PC again. I left the Windows world two years ago and fell in love with a Mac. BUt that love affair is dying.

Same old iMac
Wow new case for the G4... But still, less then half the speed of a P4 (I really don't care about the P4 vs G4 comparison, Intel and AMD are pulling away every month. THe gap is way too big. --Apple DUMP motorola already!))

iBook bus is still to slow to run OS X.

And OS x is still too slow to run on anything!!!!!

Still can't burn DVD on iMacs.. (I know you need a G4, but come on.) iMac is supposed to be hub of digital lifestyle. I've got my digital camera, make great movies with iMovie, and have to record them back on my DV camera. Not fun...! Why do I have to

P

pooped!

Re: apple owes us what?

Originally posted by greenplasticcup
Let it go man. Sure, we are apple faithful and we want our technology contemporary.

In the past seven months we have seen a TON of new stuff: TiBook, new G4 tower, the new iBook, Apple Stores, iTunes, iDVD, Super drive, 5 Slots, CDRW Standard, GeForce 2(3) standard, OS X for cryin out loud, and you are whining that apple doesn't have enough new for you!?

Heck, I'm bummed too, Not a lot of hardware wows this round. But oh yeah, I'm going to bail on apple now? No!

Especially not with a ton of new apps for X.

Apple doesn't owe it to me to produce LCD iMacs. Sure it would be nice. You guys claim to be mac faithful since the 80's. That's great. So you have seen more despairing times than these. Think of 1996, trouble in the corporate, the latest and greatest was the powermac 7200, everyting was beige, we had to stand firm that apple was great and it wasn't going to die.

just my two cents.

Apple were late to teh show with CD-rw , they were the ones that got burned there, not the cds! iTunes wasnt even Apples , it was merely rebranded. GF2 - its a strangled 80 quid vid card - its not even a FULL gf2! new apps for osX? BUT WHEN???!! Apple Store?? big deal - where are they outside teh US???!! or is this the only market that matters to Apple?

really, apple have bummed out on this - I pity all those re-sellers....

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
did you actually pay attention to the keynote?

Sure buy a pentium 1.8GHz. Can you burn a dvd on them? And record from your dvcamera? For the same price?

For crying out loud. You want to pay 1,000 bucks for an imac and you want something that's faster than the fastest PC and burn dvd's? Are you nuts?

Oh grand, the AMD and Pentium is pulling away very quickly, but the G4 destroys the pentium in speed. Good luck Pentium! And good luck you converts, we'll see you later, probably in six months or so when you realize it's not faster, burning dvd's is very expensive, and it ends up costing more in the long run.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Quit yer bitchin!!

Dammit people!! Who cares if this wasn't the Macworld to end all Macworlds!! You know who's fault that is? OURS!!!! We built this up with rumors of LCD iMacs, completely new G4 towers, Powerbook revisions, OS X.1...the list goes on!! How much do you really expect to happen in just a couple of months. I see this Macworld as the last step until the biggie. Next time there will be something big. I think that you are all spoiled for being upset that we dont have LCD iMacs that can burn DVD's and operate at 800mhz for $999. That might not be possible for a year!! Take what we got: New OS X coming in two months, nice looking G4 towers with a cool new graphics option, faster iMacs for a decent price, and the promise that more is to come. That satisfy's me, and for all of you who say "I'm switching back to PC"...GO AHEAD. Screw you!! I know that in two months you'll be back when your computer is crashing all the time and nothing works right with Windows XP. I'll be here laughing...mark my words.

-Pete

Pissed Off

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
All you people on this site who said there was going to be LCD iMACS, DDR-Ram, 200 MHZ G4s, even a Handheld = you are a bunch of losers. You all SWORE that Apple was going to blow us away - hey guess what? You were talking out of your ****ing *******. ****ing losers. Get a life.

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
The keynote had basicly two things to present... Faster, cheaper desktops which DESTROY Pentiums on speed, and OS X is improving rapidly both in speed and number of titles.

Power Mac 867 totally SMOKED a Pentium 4 at 1.7Ghz!
It did an Mpeg encoding under Media Cleaner at over 2x the speed of the Pentium!! (Now, swap that to a dual 800 Mhz and watch that Pentium explode in embarassment!)

The Dual 800 can even encode and burn a DVD in 1x (read: REAL TIME encoding).. OUCH!

iMacs up to 700 Mhz.. very nice.

The 10.1 demo looked really good. Looks like speeds are up dramaticly in menus, resizing, and app loading! IE loaded in <1 icon bounce! The vendors are saying some of their top apps will load faster under 10 than under 9 now!

DVD playback is impletemented, nice looking controls.

DVD burning now available in OS 10.1, under iDVD2.

CD burning in the Finder... blah blah blah..

Looks like by September when 10.1 ships, the promise of OS X will finally be delivered in full!

Oh ya, the cheesy plastic-look case of the Power Mac has been replaced with something more metallic and aircraft looking, and thank gawd the flower power silliness is also gone from the iMacs, back to Blue, Graphite, and Snow.

Looks like the flatpanel iMac and any other new products like a PDA will be held off for the next show. That will be a doozy.

msiegal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2001
Dayton, OH
Learning Experience

I think that this has been an excellent learning experience for us all. I walked into this one looking forward to a LCD iMac and a overhauled G4, and I was left very dissappointed.

I would argue that this was the most heavily rumored Macworld to date. So rumored, in fact, that it rubbed off on wall street and the morons in the non-tech press.

The fact is, we just got a new portable, so that combined with a slightly changed PowerMac isn't too bad. We came to this Macworld with our heads in the clouds, but Steve was still on the ground with reality.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Why did I wait up?

That would have to be the most over anticipated event of the year.

OK, The only good thing is the G4 new enclosure that still UNDER DELIVERS.. Same old single 3.5 inch Expansion bay.

There was no upgrade to most configs, graphics cards havn't moved..

I have to sell these things and I am trying to figure out how many people with an iMac 700 are going to use 60gb hard disk, copared to people with a 733 G4 with only 40gb HDD....?????

The pricing is a horror... We were having enough troubles selling the computers in Australia with the old pricing.($1795 to $3195). Apple Australia has even had to make a "SPECIAL" model 500mhz without a CD-Burner to reduce the price back down to reasonable! ($1895)

Maybe Im angry because its 2am here... but i will say

G4 Line up is now great

iMac's - Junk.. needed a big gun to get them moving.

iBooks - They were good to start with, but they have only shipped about 100 to australia

Titanium - Free ext CD-RW only in some countries (excluding Australia)

Theres a lot of problems that were not address in the keynote.

AND NO PRICE REDUCTIONS ON TITANIUMS or LCD's

Why would someone in OZ buy a Titanium 500mhz for $7495Au ($3750US) when you can get it cheaper with a free cd burner in Singapore or the US??????

GRRRRRRRRRRR

jnathanj

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
New Hardware - Big disappointment

What a bummer. Clearly a need for a new Imac went un addressed. How about just an Imac with a 17" crt? The is an unhappy segment of the apple family that needs to be satiated. Don't destroy the line, just expand it slightly.

I'm very disappointed!!!

Djk515

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2001
Blue Dalmation

Apple has discontinued their Blue Dalmation and Flower Power iMacs without an announcement. They can not be purchased at the Apple Online Store and are not on the iMac page.

The "other thing" at the expo was iDVD? iDVD! When it first came out at MWSF 01 it wasn't the "other thing", but now it is?

And why the big TiBook deals without any updates??? They barely updated the iMacs. and now the G4s have a new case. Wow that's big news. Mac OS X 10.1 won't be out till September and there's no OS 9.2 announcement. I'd say the biggest announcement we saw at this show other than OS X was the new apps. And the new apps are usually the boring part!

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
new site?

Hey maybe there should be a second Macrumors site. One for those of us who are real apple fans and are dedicated to the advancement of the company...and one for those who can't stop moaning about how SJ and Apple has let them down. Maybe it should be called http://www.idontknowwhatareallygreatcomputerisandicantstopbitchingandmoaning.com
\
People who are disappointed go there, all other true Mac fans, stick around. There is more good stuff to come.

-Pete

msiegal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2001
Dayton, OH
Originally posted by Pissed Off
All you people on this site who said there was going to be LCD iMACS, DDR-Ram, 200 MHZ G4s, even a Handheld = you are a bunch of losers. You all SWORE that Apple was going to blow us away - hey guess what? You were talking out of your ****ing *******. ****ing losers. Get a life.

lol... can we be friends?

russ192

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
holding off on purchase

I was very dissapointed with Apple's showing at MacWorld. I was expecting to see some new things but saw only speed bumps. I will have to hold off upgrading my iMac rev A and I was ready to buy.

This bad showing at MW should bring Apple's stock down to about $15 a share or lower for the next few months.....
BOO....Apple.....BOO...........

Thin Ice

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2001
I would have thought a cheaper iMac, say a G3 400 with just CD at $750 and a higher specced model with an nVidia 2 card for gamers (OK, so it might need a fan).

They've managed to disappoint nearly everyone.

I can't even afford a 17" monitor from Apple any more.

I seem to be in the wrong demographic. Which is upsetting, because I've been an Apple user for a long time. I've always done right by them.

The worse thing is, this has even ruined the next MacWorld for me. I think Apple are going to need some blooody amazing stuff next time, because they will be selling them from the bottom of a very deep hole. After only a $61M profit this quarter, I think they'll see red again. I think they've pretty much killed the iMac. It's not even on the radar any more.

As an exercise, go to the Gateway web page and see what you can get for the price of a Mac. It's scary.

Oh well, at least I'm not an Apple reseller.... ;)

LCD iMacs

I believe Apple is pushing up the price of the iMac to $999,- so that they can introduce the new form iMac, running on OS 10.1, in september. Remember what they said when they discontinued the cube? 'You will understand when you see the new iMac.'

It's coming, very unfortunately not NOW.

for the rest, a very lame show, (nothing new) no matter what the hardcore supporters say on this forum.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
They are waiting for a new iMac probaly in 2002. Cost and marketting reasons. The new Powermac is enough to keep their sales strong. They will probably release a TiBook update for the final quarter of the year.

I am just wondering if I should go ahead an put my order in for a Dual 800 or wait-

Usul52

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Not terribly impressed

I am a PC user, and always have been, primarily because the Windows OS is what I originally became proficient on, and because Windows dominates the workplace.

In the past three months, I have seriously considered buying a Mac for the first time. As such, I've done a good bit of reasarch on the product itself, the company, and, as a byproduct, have seen an inkling of what can best be described as the Mac "culture."

A few observations:

Steve Jobs, while doubtless a brilliant designer, is too arrogant and preoccupied with the genius of his own designs to either understand (or admit to) the demands of the marketplace. In this fast-paced business environment, consumers want a multitude of options at realistic prices. Apple (aka Steve Jobs) is still too myopic and elitist in its thinking to overcome the proliferation of lower-priced PCs with only marginally less computing power. In short, Apple takes their products too seriously. If you don't need eye candy on your desk, derive your sense of identity from a machine, and have not been suckered into the Mac/Jobs cult of personality, then it makes little sense to fork out the $ for such machines. (iBook is the only exception here, I believe.)

As long as Steve Jobs is around, Apple will continue to survive and innovate, but not at the speeds necessary to gain the sort of market share it is looking for. Today's Expo speech is a perfect example. Besides some PowerMac speedbumps, incermental iMac updates, and software discussion, I saw nothing today that would either induce me to buy an Apple for the first time, nor to buy the stock (which despite today's fade in response to the Expo, is still trading at an exhorbitantly high P/E)

Is is just me, or could you sense the disappointment in the audience, and the perception that Mr. Jobs was almost apologetic about the lack of other significant offerings? Weren't you all out there thinking, "Okay, when is he going to say...'And there's one more thing.'?" From a company that touts its revolutionary approach to innovation, today's exhibits, while admittedly value-added, did little to inspire the sort of consumer zeal that a company as relatively small as Apple must inspire to win new customers and to keep old ones. Not even any new iBook colors. In a word...Lame.

All that said, I'm going to end up buying an iBook, simply because I believe that it, unlike the other hardware items in the Apple line, truly does offer value at that price point.

And another thing...It seems that many of you take this stuff WAY too seriously. Every man must have his passion, but bear in mind that this partucular one is making money for someone else.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Re: new site?

Originally posted by ptrauber
Hey maybe there should be a second Macrumors site. One for those of us who are real apple fans and are dedicated to the advancement of the company...and one for those who can't stop moaning about how SJ and Apple has let them down. Maybe it should be called http://www.idontknowwhatareallygreatcomputerisandicantstopbitchingandmoaning.com
\
People who are disappointed go there, all other true Mac fans, stick around. There is more good stuff to come.

-Pete

Are you a total lamer? I love apples too bits or I wouldn't own 60+ macs and borrow an iBook from the AppleCentre I work in in Sydney to watch tonights presentation. Its now 2am here, and I can't believe what I have just seen.

I don't think I will want to go to work anymore. Selling an iMac starting tommorow will be for me like selling someone a ticket on titanic.

Doesn't matter if you're a die hard fan or not, It SUCKED tonight and Steve really played that cards wrong. The g4's I think price and performace are good, but the iMac and LCD range needed to shed some $$$ and gain some speed but all they did was screw arround with hard disks and made a bunch of over priced lemons no one will want to buy.

Check out store.apple.com.au and Have a look at what they have had to do with the iMac line KNOWING how little sales are going to happen. We have a SPECIAL iMac without CD-RW so that people arn't put off and its $100 AU ($50US) more then it was yesterday.

In 5 months since the last iMac release they have had more then enough time to reduce costs.

Its rediculous, and I gurentee that sales staff across australia will be furious tommorow morning.

P

patience

errrr.... not what I had hoped....

I am looking to convert to mac with XP coming, but there is really nothing compelling right now... it sounds like the hardware and software will be ready to roll in september, so I wait no biggie. Although you can probably pick up a pretty cheap 533dually in the next month... personally I was hoping to see a price redux on the Ti4's and some colorful iBooks, but alas..

murtaugh

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2001
survival

actually, I think the connecting theme here is that apple is trying to do more without spending much -- jobs hinted at it at the end when he mentioned how other companies were being forced to layoff, and the mention of family members seems to be a sign of stress among personnel.

apple can't afford to make mistakes -- particularly now. so launching new hardware designs and prematurely abandoning others would just raise the risk of serious (and perhaps unrepairable) financial failure.

Given this, I think they're doing some sound streamlining (cutting CRTs and the cube, iMacs with only CDRW, a great low and high end portable) and focusing resources on their software (which remains fantastic) and making sure that OSX really gets off the ground.

Despite my disappointment, I'd rather see the company hold on and progress incrementally rather than make costly mistakes and die in flames.

Thin Ice

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2001
Haven't felt like this since the last Tyson fight.... ;)

All revved up. Nowhere to go.

People have a right to complain about the new iMacs. They are upgrades for upgrades sake. And they suck. They could be really cheap or really powerful. They are neither.

DON'T buy a dual G4. Steve said better things were coming, remember...

russ192

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
sad day

Did you like that send off with regarding employees and their families. I see that the pink slips will be receiving there stamps today. Sorry guys...

Thin Ice

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2001
Australian AppleCentres are a wasteland.

Software arrives by carrier pigeons (if they survive the wildlife).

They can show you a photo of a TiBook and order one in if you like the look of it.

It's sucks selling Apple's in Australia.

It will suck worse tommorrow.

Raise your hand if you're on commission!

Now slam it in a door jamb.

It sucks that much.

The best defence is offence. If the market is bad, how do you improve it by making your machines worse? The iMacs were comparatively underpowered.

Now they suck. It's official.

They officially suck.

Dennis Leary should do their ad's.

Release the lemons!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.