MacWorld NY 2001 Keynote Speech

i_roma

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Many expos to come

hi,
i dont know y u guys want every thing in the Ny expo , cause i think they do have a keynote in october, i'm not sure.
so i do think they will introduce more new cool stuff later on,,,,

thank u

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
agreed - this keynote & rollout is not what i had hoped for... perhaps the other stuff is slightly too far off... and they didn't want to keep rolling things out which were almost ready. I thought they would have hit 1Ghz, and not have to hear about all the same crap we heard at the last keynote.

the superdrive thing is cool, but it's nothing new to anyone is it?

When will we see something beyond a 133Mhz Board?

P

Pants

I can get a lcd 14" monitor for 200 quid in Pc world down the road from me..... seeing as apple effectively OWN the firm that makes them, how much extra would an LCD imac cost?

Apple is rapidly becoming teh vapourware provider of hardware - its alway "tomorrow" and tomorrow never quite arrives. Im really sad, as I have 2000 quid to spend on a new machine - not a small amount in my book - and have been loyal to apple for 15 years. I can go get that 1.7 P4 for almost half that, but id struggle to get anything halfway decent from apple and certainly not get a screen too.

G

One more BIG thing!!

Apple Germany told us right now, there is one more BIG thing to come (not iDVD!) ...

;)

W

webboy

Oh man, if iDVD is it - the "one more thing" - I think a ton of people are going to be unimpressed. I'm not too impressed thus far; the new G4 Tower is nice but not anything revolutionary, I feel. The iMac? Well, we'll see how it works out... but man.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To the person saying they can get cheap LCDs...

Go back and tell me how much you can get a crappy 15" CRT for?

I bet less than the LCD.

arn

J

JohnSmith

I don't see the need for all the secrecy surrounding these announcements. None of it is earth shattering or what I'd call innovative. No, I'm not a shill, but I refuse to seem excited over new CPUs. Windows users get new CPUs almost every week.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
G4 Dual 800mhz

Check this...

you can get:

Dual 800mhz
128mb RAM
40gig HD
NVidia GForce 3
CD-RW drive

$2949.00

Not too bad. Add $50 for more ram... and you're good to go.

arn

P

Pants

Originally posted by arn
To the person saying they can get cheap LCDs...

Go back and tell me how much you can get a crappy 15" CRT for?

I bet less than the LCD.

arn

yes , as you well know, you can get a cheaper 'crappy' CRT, but lets be honest, maybe apple could have pushed the boat out a little? They havent managed it on teh design front, or on osX - so where is the value in paying well over the odds? Are you really satisfied with this little lot? not even a tad disappointed?

I AM an apple fan - but seriously, I'd like some of apples senior execs to occassionaly come out of their own media distortion field. Or are Apple really just interested in merely supplying expensive desktop boxes for ma and pa?

zoint

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Re: sigh

Originally posted by rattatosk
This is really..disappointing...
Double sigh: I am so diappointed you have no idea. I turned off the keynote and am going back to work. (My kids have been begging me to buy a PC. I have not. But this is ridiculous. I hope Apple takes a look at some of these comments. I have been a faithful Apple fan since the 1980s and I've about had it. I wish I wasn't saying this. The lack of a radical revise for the iMac line did it for me.

zoint

W

webboy

Okay, you can move me to the "officially disappointed" column now. Thanks.

I'm glad I got my Cube. :)

hampsoc

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2001
Looks like I won't be trading in my iMac, or my G4. We all expected more than this.

H

haha!

Re: G4 Dual 800mhz

Originally posted by arn

Check this...

you can get:

Dual 800mhz
128mb RAM
40gig HD
NVidia GForce 3
CD-RW drive

$2949.00

Not too bad. Add $50 for more ram... and you're good to go.

arn
you'll be lucky to get extra ram from apple for 50 quid!

that lot is over £3100 on the Apple uk site! jeez!!! talk about daylight robbery!!!!

S

Sigh

Boy was that disappointing

That was probably the most anticlimactic MacWorld keynote I've ever seen.

The "one more thing" was iDVD 2? Give me a break.

10.1 looks promising, but too bad it's still 2 months away.

Oh well!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Well... personally, I don't have much personal interest in the iMac line... in only that it helps Apple's sales/market pentrance - I do have an interest in it. For that reason, I personally don't think an LCD image is the way to go.

There reason I mention that you can get a CRT cheaper is this: Let's say Apple manages to cut costs and fit an LCD iMac at the $1200 or even $999 price range. You know what that means? That means they could produce a CRT imac for even less. A cheaper iMac rather than an LCD, I feel, would sell more computers. But, that's just my personal opinion.

As for G4 Towers. As good as to be expected. The whole Motorola PPC scene is VERY disappointing. HOWEVER... this is probably the LARGEST leap Apple has made MHZ wise. Apple introduced the 733mhz G4 in January. 6 months ago. It was the top end. Now it's the low end. This is an enourmous jump - and I don't think it's been done before. Now- that being said - it _had_ to be done. With the rate/prices of AMD's... Apple couldn't have done less.

arn

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
apple owes us what?

Let it go man. Sure, we are apple faithful and we want our technology contemporary.

In the past seven months we have seen a TON of new stuff: TiBook, new G4 tower, the new iBook, Apple Stores, iTunes, iDVD, Super drive, 5 Slots, CDRW Standard, GeForce 2(3) standard, OS X for cryin out loud, and you are whining that apple doesn't have enough new for you!?

Heck, I'm bummed too, Not a lot of hardware wows this round. But oh yeah, I'm going to bail on apple now? No!

Especially not with a ton of new apps for X.

Apple doesn't owe it to me to produce LCD iMacs. Sure it would be nice. You guys claim to be mac faithful since the 80's. That's great. So you have seen more despairing times than these. Think of 1996, trouble in the corporate, the latest and greatest was the powermac 7200, everyting was beige, we had to stand firm that apple was great and it wasn't going to die.

just my two cents.

Thin Ice

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2001
I'm stunned.

Steve Jobs: Apologist.

Our Emporer was completely starkers.

iDVD. Ha!

I sat through a two hour Apple advert waiting for something new and....

At the end he tried to make us feel guilty about how hard they've worked.

Big things coming he said.

So lets not buy anything til then eh?

Not until 10.1 at least.

The "new" Apple iMac page is pushing Tomb Raider as a high end 3D game fer chrissakes! It's up to you. Mid-range PC with HALO or an iMac with Tomb Raider.

Damn!

I was so close to buying a PC and now I am soooo far from buying a Mac. Rage 128. Damn!

Only MX2 in the towers. Hahahahaaaaaaaarrrghh....

I hope they don't make it as far as the next quarter. There's going to be a lot of available Apple shares today.

No wonder he only got three hours sleep.