Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Macworld San Francisco 2010 Kicks Off This Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macworld Expo 2010 kicks off this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. The significance of this year's Macworld Expo has been significantly reduced due to Apple's decision not to participate. Apple cited the diminished importance of trade shows as a way to connect to its customers.

Macworld has tried to refocus the event and even made scheduling changes to accommodate a larger audience. This year's Macworld Expo was pushed into February to avoid the usual conflict with CES, and even includes Saturday floor show hours for the first time.

The expo takes place from February 9th – 13th, 2010. MacRumors will be in attendance and will provide some coverage of the events. Email tips@macrumors.com to contact us. While Apple will not be in attendance, there has been some whispers that Apple may launch MacBook Pro revisions this Tuesday. Benchmarks for unreleased MacBook Pros were discovered just this past weekend.

Article Link: Macworld San Francisco 2010 Kicks Off This Week

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2007
Apple is "too good" for MacWorld. Their arrogance is getting sickening.

Comment

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Macworld without Macs is a hand without fingers. It's not going to last. the END is near.

Comment

JoshBoy

macrumors demi-god
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
the reason they pulled their presents from macworld is because they didn't want to have to fit to macworlds schedule but would prefer to release items on their own terms. The other reason was they have created so much hype on line why spend money at an event when you can get just as good exposure, if not better for cheaper?

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Apple is "too good" for MacWorld. Their arrogance is getting sickening.

That wasn't Apple's motive in not showing at MacWorld, it was economic (not cost-effective for them) and based on not wanting to have others set schedules for them.

What was your motive for making this false statement about Apple?

Comment

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
how much do you think the new pro's and what do you think it'll look like?
are they updating 13" 15" and 17" or just the 15" and 17"?

Comment

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
It would be really nice of Apple to give MacWorld the opportunity to introduce and share the next MBPs... if for nothing else for thanks and appreciation to everyone for supporting Apple at MacWorld through the years. I would love for Apple to show MacWorld some respect even though it chooses not to participate fully with a keynote.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If Apple doesn't care about these events anymore what is the point? This event will die a slow death. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
the reason they pulled their presents from macworld is because they didn't want to have to fit to macworlds schedule but would prefer to release items on their own terms. The other reason was they have created so much hype on line why spend money at an event when you can get just as good exposure, if not better for cheaper?
Not wanting to fit the schedule is BS. They still released iPad just a few weeks before the expo. It was a cheap move to pull out of their own party. The expo is an Apple tradition & one that helped kept them going through the rough years.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Not wanting to fit the schedule is BS. They still released iPad just a few weeks before the expo. It was a cheap move to pull out of their own party. The expo is an Apple tradition & one that helped kept them going through the rough years.

Maybe if the event was focused more on the iDevices and less on the Mac Apple would still be interested. I am not sure exactly why they pulled out, but with Apple gone Macworld will soon be gone.

Comment

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
again, Apple doesn't attend macworld anymore. 2009 was the last. don't expect any excitement in this expo. without apple, it will be bunch of crappy market place. it would be almost feeling like CES. there will be no new mac or anything this time. just wait for coming summer. Apple will host a special event. I don't care how mac is good. it's only grown market share in US. for world share, it is still under 4% (3%?). it's just pathetic. it's mostly like for american people. if mac is cheaper, it will be nice. but Apple's arrogance will never allow to drop the price. nowadays, Apple business is booming. well, it's lucky. but they forget something that they have to compete with others which offer more reasonable, affordable price. that's Asus or Acer even Dell are better than Apple. so far, I have used to buying new mac almost every two years. but suddenly interesting has been cold. I would like to buy PC laptop than mac. design? it doesn't matter. today there are many decent, nice looking pc laptops I can choose from. I want performance, affordable price point. with $1000, I have so many choices I can get high end laptop which set up every max out. mac os x? I can run mac os x in my pc laptop (hacking). yeah, it's illegal. but there are so many people who already have done. so I don't care.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yawn :cool: MacWorld is pointless since the Main Mac attendee Left.

The notebooks will be refreshed FEB 16th BTW

I bet you're wrong.

I couldn't care less of they attend trade shows. Just release an update adding matte to the 13" Macbook pros.

Comment

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
I'm proud Mac/iPhone owner.

I'm just not stupid/blind enough to support the fact that Apple left the Macworld expo for so-called financial reason.

This is just of one to many fact that shows that Apple as gone way too arrogant to the point the last keynote was a complete i********.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
New MacWorld

Yeah, you can all poo-poo that Apple will not be there, that is easy and rather wimpy. As for me, I'm seeing it for MacWorld having a chance to grow-up and be something of their own with Apple's big shadow not present to take the center stage.

Now, a lot of things can be done that would normally offend the Gods of Mount Cupertino down to schedule of events and something else taking place instead of a product release keynote.

I for one am looking at this new MacWorld as a fresh break from the past.

Comment

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
Apple cited the diminished importance of trade shows as a way to connect to its customers.

Now they prefer to connect to customers on Apple Care calls (Tech Support) or the Genius Bar... Maybe this explains all the hardware issues people have been having lately :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.