Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have pointed out that the user guide for Apple's just-announced Magic Mouse contains a reference to Mac OS X 10.6.2, which is yet to be released.
To use your Apple Magic Mouse and its full range of features, update your Mac to Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later and install the Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0; or update to Mac OS X version 10.6.2 or later.
While OS X 10.6.2 is not required for the Magic Mouse to function, users running OS X 10.5.8 through OS X 10.6.1 will have to install a separate software update to enable support for the new device. The mention of OS X 10.6.2 suggests that Apple plans or at least did plan for the update to be released to consumers around the product launch.

Apple has seeded three builds of OS X 10.6.2 to developers, with the most recent having been delivered last Friday. The update notably addresses an issue with guest accounts that has resulted in some users losing all data from their regular user accounts.

Article Link: Magic Mouse User Guide Suggests Mac OS X 10.6.2 Release in Near Future

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I'm sick of my web browsers crashing when I try to upload images. This isn't limited to Safari by the way. Every single browser. Quite annoying. Let's hope this 10.6.2 update fixes all that and more. :)

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
I hope so. I am sick of placing files on an external disk and having them not recognized until the disk is ejected and then reconnected.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I heard from a source they are planning to even go as far as 10.6.3. But you didn't hear it from me!

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Will the Magic Mouse's gestures work in Firefox too? Specifically the forward and back gestures that were demoed in Safari.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Please fix the expose bug and the eSATA expresscard kernel panics.

I don't want a magic mouse--it looks too small and uncomfortable to hold.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I don't think it looks uncomfortable to hold, as I only hold a mouse with the tips of my fingers anyway, but does it have a middle click, eg mouse wheel click? If not I don't want it. And does it have side buttons? Not required, but a nice feature.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
I don't think it looks uncomfortable to hold, as I only hold a mouse with the tips of my fingers anyway, but does it have a middle click, eg mouse wheel click? If not I don't want it. And does it have side buttons? Not required, but a nice feature.

+10 on the middle click. Thats the big question for me. I have to say watching to demo videos etc.... I love it; however, it seems like there is infinite possibilities for configuration and yet they didn't give us squat. Like how about a 2 finger tap for middle click off the top of my head??

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
+10 on the middle click. Thats the big question for me. I have to say watching to demo videos etc.... I love it; however, it seems like there is infinite possibilities for configuration and yet they didn't give us squat. Like how about a 2 finger tap for middle click off the top of my head??

Two finger click is primary click by default. That way, you don't have to lift your hand for a regular click. Like on the Mighty Mouse.
I don't know how they'd be able to implement a third click.
I just wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the squeeze.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany

I think this picture pretty much sums it all up. You have to be content with what Steve thinks is best for you:

OSchart.jpg

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Two finger click is primary click by default. That way, you don't have to lift your hand for a regular click. Like on the Mighty Mouse.
I don't know how they'd be able to implement a third click.
I just wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the squeeze.

On the Mighty Mouse you can click with 4 fingers, it will still do a left click. And doesn't this push down and click? If so, then it could be the exact same as the Mighty Mouse for the middle click.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
When the article is saying the near feature, do they mean sometime this week or next week? Because near future sounds like a long time for me lol.:eek:

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I couldn't find any info regarding activating Expose using the Magic Mouse...

Anyone have any ideas? - is the squeeze function still there? can you do it via swipe?

Or will 10.6.2 bring this option to the prefs?

nanto

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Magic Mouse

Anyone needing precision will want the audible recognition of a click. I like the touchpad on my Macbook but... in a mouse only for home use.

The Imacs are nice, even if they should all have had Quad core processors, nearly all the PCs have them now. Dam that 27" screen is enormous.

NightFox

macrumors 68030
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
My concern is whether you have to first lift your finger to click, or if you can just apply pressure. With my current traditional mouse, I have my first two fingers resting on the buttons when I use it, and just have to push the button to click. Having to first lift your finger every time you want to click may not sound like a big thing, but it's a common cause of RSI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.