Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't see this working with cases. Simply too thick for the magnets to attach properly. Unless magnets are also in the cases.
If the case is thick enough to screw with the magnets, then the inductive charging won’t work well anyway. (it’s just an electromagnetic wave, after all)

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU

Cool. This makes sense. While the EM, required for charging, has plenty of overhead, the magnets required for physical attachment do not (otherwise they would be too strong when used without the case).

This is one of the most exciting things about the 2020 model in my opinion. It simplifies charging and brings the best from both worlds (cable, wireless). Current wireless charges do not allow for phone interaction during charging. These will. Also car setups will be much more simple.

So Apple Silicone Case $99 and leather one $109?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No it doesn’t. wireless carplay has been a thing in some cars for years.

uhhh wireless CarPlay?

Right, but how many late model cars are on the road with only wired CarPlay? I’m guessing Apple doesn’t want to piss off their customers or forgo those customers upgrading to their newest phones because their car won’t work with it.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Right, but how many late model cars are on the road with only wired CarPlay? I’m guessing Apple doesn’t want to piss off their customers or forgo those customers upgrading to their newest phones because their car won’t work with it.
You would be guessing wrong. Apple changes connectors rendering expensive accessories useless all the time. There used to be cars with 25-pin docks for ipods and iphones. My Porsche had one. Apple didn’t care about rendering my boxster’s digital dock useless.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
They can't remove the port. CarPlay needs a port, can't do it with Bluetooth.
There will be an Adapter, iPhone will connect to the Adapter via Wifi seamlessly when you place it onto the charger, much like the one depicted here. CarPlay will work wireless, there's already 3rd party adapters.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You would be guessing wrong. Apple changes connectors rendering expensive accessories useless all the time. There used to be cars with 25-pin docks for ipods and iphones. My Porsche had one. Apple didn’t care about rendering my boxster’s digital dock useless.

Calling a car an “accessory” is quite the understatement. Apple rendering someone’s $40k+ car incompatible with their new phone is a very different level of pissed off than your table top boom box no longer working with it. In Porsche’s case, that was a poor design decision on their part. They should’ve used a replaceable USB cable instead of an iPod dock. I’d also venture to say that there are many more cars out there with wired CarPlay than iPod docks.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Calling a car an “accessory” is quite the understatement. Apple rendering someone’s $40k+ car incompatible with your new phone is a very different level of pissed off than your table top boom box no longer working with it. In Porsche’s case, that was a poor design decision on their part. They should’ve used a replaceable USB cable instead of an iPod dock. I’d also venture to say that there are many more cars out there with wired CarPlay than iPod docks.

It’s all moot. There are plenty of devices like this that take care of this imaginary problem.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It’s all moot. There are plenty of devices like this that take care of this imaginary problem.

Reviews indicate to me that those solutions are imperfect. Now perhaps Apple would come out with a first party solution that is perfect which would indeed render the point moot. The problem is only imaginary because a portless iPhone doesn’t exist currently.

Last edited:

miq

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2020
Lightning wasn’t ubiquitous when apple dropped the 25 pin connector, and lots of cars (mine included) had 25 pin docks for iPods and iphones back then. Apple doesn’t care.
The difference being that the 25pin>Lightning issue could be solved with a simple, cheap adaptor.

No it doesn’t. wireless carplay has been a thing in some cars for years.

Wrong. It DOES, for the majority of cars - (including some 2019/2020 models) so don't act like it's a non-issue.

Just get one of these If your car doesn;’t already support wireless CarPlay.

This device has been almost universally panned aside from 9to5mac who were paid to feature this adapter. Countless people on these MR forums (and others such as Whirlpool) have complained in its dedicated thread about how buggy it is. This is NOT a solution. Removing the port entirely and not providing a cheap, reliable, OFFICIAL solution would severely cripple the entertainment units of millions of cars should people wish to upgrade their phones.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
*some*
Yea it’s possible, but is Apple going to tell me that my shiny new iPhone doesn’t connect to my car like my “old” iPhone did?
someday yes they will. Not any time soon. And that’s the way technology evolves. And in the mean time you can get one of these and stop complaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.