Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MagSafe Charger Only Charges at Full 15W Speeds With Apple's 20W Power Adapter [Updated]

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
How hot did it get?

5 HOURS? .... Edit: Charging with screen on will result in slower charge times.
Aside from lighting up with notifications the screen was off whilst I charged it. I was charging it through the Apple clear case but that shouldn’t make a difference. Going to try without the case next time and see what the result is.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Aside from lighting up with notifications the screen was off whilst I charged it. I was charging it through the Apple clear case but that shouldn’t make a difference. Going to try without the case next time and see what the result is.
Interesting - there was another video from someone who had a 5 hour rate but they had the screen on. I just assumed you did the same.

How interesting. Apparently the phone has to be under 37-39C to pull the full 18w.

Comment

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
And here I am not caring at all, because slower charge = better battery health. My phone lasts all day, and most people charge it once at night. Who's in such a hurry to quickly charge their phone while they're unconcious for 6+ hours.

Comment

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Zero rumors point to that. Zero.

This is just the idle speculation by clueless people who think the advent of inductive charging and some bluetooth headphones suddenly make a port on iPhone unnecssary. There are so many reasons why that isn't the case that it's exhausting to have list them every time someone mentions "portless iPhone".

yeah your take won't last long. the reason they haven't moved to usb-c on the phones like on the iPads is because they intend to eliminate the port entirely... watch.

Comment

xener

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
ZolloTech didn't test every charger.

It is possible that the Anker Nano will work fine, because it supports 9V @ 2.2A and 5V @ 3A -- just like the Apple 20W charger. And any other modern charger USB-C charger that supports those levels should work.

Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2011
Zero rumors point to that. Zero.

This is just the idle speculation by clueless people who think the advent of inductive charging and some bluetooth headphones suddenly make a port on iPhone unnecssary. There are so many reasons why that isn't the case that it's exhausting to have list them every time someone mentions "portless iPhone".

Dozens (hundreds?) of media outlets report that Apple will go port-less, possibly as soon as next year. I know lots of people who have never even used the port on their iPhone. Wireless chargers are <$15, and I have them in almost every room in my house. And of course the popularity of AirPods means using a cord to plug in your headphones seems very anachronistic to more people every day.

"Zero" would be the amount of rumors that speculate Apple will add amazing back-scratching technology to the next generation of iPhones.

Comment

Billyk711

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
Just looking at wattage is nonsense. You have to look at the time it takes to reach a certain battery level.

From a Dutch site:

MagSafe18 Watt27%
MagSafe20 Watt32%
MagSafe aangesloten op USB-C van MacBook*Onbekend, ca. 10-12 Watt?30% (nieuw!)

So we're talking about a few percentage. Is that so bad ?

Again, your old 18W charger does the job fine.

Still I think the Magsafe charger is a joke, if you also take the thermal issues into account.
People live to whine and complain, over something they don’t have to have.
It’s unbelievable.

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
What a joke that apple’s own 18w charger can’t charge 15w. The environment excuse is a load of bs. It’s just nickel and diming their customers.

Comment

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
yeah your take won't last long. the reason they haven't moved to usb-c on the phones like on the iPads is because they intend to eliminate the port entirely... watch.
Oh yeah?

How well is that going to work out when they release an iPhone that no longer works with CarPlay? Wireless carplay is basically vaporware outside of 2 companies and doesn't work well anyway.

Wireless development and debugging barely works and constantly needs to be reconnected with a wire.

Wireless recovery is nonexistent and impossible.

We can go on and on. The current environment is incompatible with a portless iPhone. Wireless charging and bluetooth headphones are a fraction of the issue.

Comment

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Dozens (hundreds?) of media outlets report that Apple will go port-less, possibly as soon as next year. I know lots of people who have never even used the port on their iPhone. Wireless chargers are <$15, and I have them in almost every room in my house. And of course the popularity of AirPods means using a cord to plug in your headphones seems very anachronistic to more people every day.

"Zero" would be the amount of rumors that speculate Apple will add amazing back-scratching technology to the next generation of iPhones.
Portless iPhones have been rumored since the original. It probably will happen at some point, but we’re not there yet without having significant trade-off.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
And now I was reading Apple is throttling third party chargers in general to not fast charge and top out at 9.5W. Does anyone else have evidence of this. I am testing on my 11PM tonight

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
I was wondering this too. This is the charging brick I ordered.

Also, what app are people using to test this?
I use Amperes but am open to another if it is much better and not too expensive

Even better is I wish I could find a 30W power bank with the V/A readings like my 18W

Comment

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I think people should expect to see 15 W wireless charging with MagSafe if they use the 18 W charging brick last year, like Apple is telling us to do.

This is a money grubbing, greedy move by Apple and everybody should be pissed off about it. This has nothing to do with saving the environment.

The environment is a cover so people will sing apples praises about the move, and look. It worked.

This company is scum.
I am an electrical engineer. This is simply false. These are limitations based on physics and charging standards.

The older 18W charger does not have the USB-PD profile to be able to charge at 15W. It's a hardware/firmware issue. Also, there is overhead and inherent loss of power in inductive charging due to the imperfection of mating, the distance between coils, etc. That's why devices get warm. So there is a need for an extra margin of power to reach a max charge output of 15W safely given real world power loss, hence the 20W charger vs 18W charger.

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
And now I was reading Apple is throttling third party chargers in general to not fast charge and top out at 9.5W. Does anyone else have evidence of this. I am testing on my 11PM tonight
You're talking wireless right?

I only have a 5w and 7.5w Anker wireless charger. So I can't say.

If you're talking wired - definitely not.

Comment

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Effectively there is no option for full speed (15W) MagSafe charging in a vehicle? (Other than the ludicrous 12/24V to mains inverter-> Apple 20W charger -> MagSafe.)
Check out this charger from Aukey on Amazon. It will need to be verified, but this will likely work with MagSafe at 15W.
"USB C Car Charger, AUKEY 21W Car Charger with Power Delivery 3.0,Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Compatible with iPhone,Samsung,AirPods, iPad Pro, S9 Note 20, Google Pixel 5 4XL, Nintendo Switch,Huawei"

Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2011
Portless iPhones have been rumored since the original. It probably will happen at some point, but we’re not there yet without having significant trade-off.

What's the "significant" trade-off? Let's not say charging. Lots of people still use those 5W bricks, when Qi chargers go just as fast. And MagSafe is now available for those who need "fast charging".

Comment

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I'm a little disappointed in Apple here. You'd think they would make the best wireless charger they possibly can, for ALL their devices, not just the iPhone 12 with horribly gimped slow charging for previous models.

The damn thing doesn't even charge Apple Watches.

When a cheap $9.99 Qi charger bought as an impulse buy at Walgreens charges my iPhone 11 PM faster than Apple's own wireless charger, you know they don't care as much as they used to.
It's not that simple. I am an electrical engineer. The coil design for Qi is different than that of MagSafe. In order to get all the benefits of magnetic alignment and 15W power transfer, Apple had to go their own way. This then means that MagSafe doesn't also support max Qi charging speeds because it is more focused on max MagSafe wattage. Apple wasn't interested in only solving the engineering problem for Qi, they wanted to go beyond this and add magnetic charging.

If everyone was less impatient, they could see that in the long run as third parties develop more Apple certified MagSafe car charger options, there will be some great chargers that can simultaneously hold your device and charge at max wattage. Up until now this required a special case or putting a magnetic pad on the back of your device which would mar aesthetics, something Apple is loathe to do. Apple didn't want to let this all out in advance and spoil the surprise of MagSafe, so that's why it takes time for third parties to develop. The same was true when Lightning came out, and today there is a vast ecosystem of Lightning accessories. Give it time.

So this is not a malicious act by Apple. It's an attempt to create a better widget that can allow for both holding the device and charging it at a pretty high wattage. Almost as good as wired. That adds value and should cost more. If one does not like it, one can always charge with the wired cables one already owns.

If one looks further in to the future one can see that the ultimate goal is wireless charging and data that are not even dependent on a close proximity inductive charge. Particularly in car, this makes for a super safe experience with CarPlay wherein just having the device present in one's pocket or bag would automatically activate wireless charging and wireless CarPlay in a handsfree mode, thereby encouraging one to focus on driving and thus solving the big problem of distracted driving.

Comment

polyphenol

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Check out this charger from Aukey on Amazon. It will need to be verified, but this will likely work with MagSafe at 15W.
"USB C Car Charger, AUKEY 21W Car Charger with Power Delivery 3.0,Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Compatible with iPhone,Samsung,AirPods, iPad Pro, S9 Note 20, Google Pixel 5 4XL, Nintendo Switch,Huawei"
Can't find that 21W one!

I actually ordered an extremely cheap USB-C car charger a little while ago, in transit - some hope that is will at least work so that I have some USB-C in the car:

KUULAA Mini USB Car Charger Quick Charge 4.0 PD 3.0 48W Fast Charging Charger For iPhone Huawei Xiaomi Mi Type C Mobile Phone​

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Sorry I actually do find it laughable - not at Apple but at the idea that this is about profits.

Nokia was and has been notorious for selling accessories for phones - in fact they probably MADE it a profitable venture for any manufacture before anyone else figured it out. Sometimes using the same batteries for phones to be swapped out (smartphones included) yet many many times even if 2 or more of their phones shared the same battery the charging plug (and interface to the phone) differed thus creating a huge need to buy ... you guessed it chargers.

THE worlds BEST SELLING phones annually are:

Nokia 1100 and Nokia 1110 (candy bar basic phones) released 2003 and 2005; each selling 250 Million phones ! They included a charger. Imagine how many chargers they still sold in that time! And they, Nokia made MORE phone models than ANY manufacturer in complete phone history!

Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 plus sold 222.4 million (together) not separately!

Have a look at the facts - of just phones sold in total quantity globally:

Of those phones, the top 15 best selling phones in history ... Nokia sold the top 12!
Total devices of those top 15 sold by Nokia ... 2.051 Billion phones since 2010! This is just going back 10yrs ... and Nokia accomplished this in just 5yrs!

Now ... figure out the math of just 10% of those users buying a secondary charger (1 for work/travel & 1 for home) at say $10/charger - I recall chargers from Nokia back in 2010 being worth a LOT more in USA/CAN dollars. Now you'd be talking about profits!

So until Apple reaches close to those numbers ... then you're talking hyperbole.

BTW the next best selling iPhone was #16 on that list and combined sales of iPhone 8 and 8Plus at 86.3 million devices. Since the iPhone 5 many iPhone users already had several Lightning cables with USB-A charging blocks. I'm sure many still have quite capable USB-A blocks or USB-C charging blocks to use cables with, not such a high percentage would NEED to buy a charging block or MagSafe charging connection.
Moto was insane with all those mods things that were insanely expensive

Comment

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
I'm really not crazy about the 1m cord length. For some, that may be fine, but I would like a longer cable while some others prefer something shorter for portability.

I hope in the future they just have a lightning port on the puck. And maybe in 5-10 years, they can find a way to shrink the puck enough they can get it inside the phone, with just the port exposed at the bottom.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Even this ‘15 watts’ isn’t what it seems. Looking at the earlier review on MR from the WSJ, it looks like only about 10 watts is reaching the battery. So the MagSafe takes twice as long to charge as directly plugging into the cable and wastes a third of the energy (higher costs to your wallet and the planet). And that’s in this best scenario offered by the 20w charger.
At least with winter coming, that heat can be put to use :)

• Haha
Reactions: ohbrilliance
Comment

xener

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
What's the "significant" trade-off? Let's not say charging. Lots of people still use those 5W bricks, when Qi chargers go just as fast. And MagSafe is now available for those who need "fast charging".
One of my concerns about portless is that DFU mode may not be possible. When the whole OS is bonkers, including the network stack, today you can put into DFU mode and connect via lightning to a desktop and restore.

The lack of a port on the apple watch is likely why you have to send your watch to Apple just to downgrade watchOS.

I may not have all the terms right, but that is the gist.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.