Mail Conversation view broken (showing black) in Mac OS High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by thewhofan, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Barry_Ed macrumors newbie

Barry_Ed

2. lnewmanBoz macrumors newbie

lnewmanBoz

--- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2017 ---
    In never figured out the calibration, but I turned off "Organize by Conversations" under "View" and the problem disappeared. 16 GB MacBook Pro running 10.13.1 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.

3. Donniboi, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

Donniboi macrumors newbie

Mac Mini (late 2011) - Intel HD Graphics 3000, Philips 276E7 monitor.

I just upgraded to OS X 10.13.2 last night, having skipped 10.13.1 in case it did the usual upgrade stunt of ruining my e-mails big time. This time, they weren't shuffled up, lost or otherwise messed up. What a relief!

Unfortunately, all was not really well. Any messages received since the upgrade that are part of a conversation have the black screen problem. Unchecking "Include related messages" disconnects the e-mail chains and sorts the black screen.

I then looked at my display profile and noted that it was set to "HD709-A". There were two other profiles. SD170M-A didn't work either, but "PHL 276E7" profile sorted the problem. Conversation e-mails no longer have the black screen problem.

As my monitor is a Philips 276E7, this is a relief. It looks like using the correct profile sorted things out. I'm not sure how the profile got set to HD709-A, so I can't say if the profile was wrong before I upgraded or the upgrade changed it.

In short, check that you are set up for the correct display profile for your monitor. It may be as easy as that!

4. tncastor macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    Using a Mac Mini with 8mb. Calibration of the display solved the problem.

5. LeSpace macrumors newbie

I have this problem too.

Thx for the tip lnewmanBoz.

I started a discussion in AppleCommunity if you want to participate and have more details:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/32805607

• MacBook Pro 15" early 2011
    • macOS High Sierra, 10.13.2
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mo
    • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 Go
    • 16 Go 1333 MHz DDR3

6. sherwynh macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2018 ---
    my mac mini does the same.

7. BryceM61 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue - Macbook Pro late 2011.
    I started looking at profiles and calibrations after reading the comments in this thread.
    I found that, with the laptop open and the secondary screen connected, if I had the Mail window on the secondary screen then mail would turn conversations into black boxes. If I dragged the mail window to the laptop screen everything was visible. I checked which profile was selected for the secondary monitor - 3 were listed as available. The one for the monitor by name was not selected - it was some other profile (HD709A). I selected the monitor profile (VG2439 Series) and all was fixed.

Not good if you use custom profiles but this fixed my issue.

8. TmanTman macrumors newbie

TmanTman

--- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2018 ---
    Hi, I'm just joining this thread.

I've also been experiencing the same issue, specifically Apple Mail Conversation Thread view breaking and displaying black blocks where email should appear. I also use custom calibrated color profiles, and it seems that using non-Apple color profiles is part of the problem. (I use the X-Rite ColorMunki Display device for calibration.) Also, when I switch to the Apple factory color profiles, the Apple Mail Conversation Thread bug goes away.

I've contacted X-Rite and they suggested I try creating a Version 2 color profile which apparently is the type that Apple color profiles are. (X-Rite by default creates a Version 4 color profile.) This did not help.

I've also noticed that, when using F.Lux's color profile, the bug appears. I've sent an email to Apple's product feedback, and I strongly encourage everyone who is having this problem to send an email to Apple describing the issue. This is the only way that we may have them fix it.

I'm on a:
    MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2018 ---
    And by the way, here's the URL to access Apple's Product Feedback Dept.: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

9. LeSpace, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

LeSpace macrumors newbie

10. thewhofan thread starter macrumors newbie

thewhofan

As far as I am aware, to file a proper bug report you have to be a registered developer and have a developer account with Apple. Also that link is flagged as an fraudulent website with an unsecured connection.

11. LeSpace macrumors newbie

I don't know what is the issue with this link. I have a warning too, but if I write it myself I have no warning anymore (apparently don't use the https).
    You can also use this address:
    http://bugreport.apple.com

I am not developper (but some years ago, I registered on the Apple's beta program) and I was able to fill a bug report without problem.

12. chemicalconan macrumors newbie

chemicalconan

it only affects emails that are grouped together. and only on certain graphics calibration. I have just switched off the message grouping as it is an easier workaround than to constantly having to choose a different calibration.
    either way, it is an annoying bug and I hope they get it sorted soon!