Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I dunno I don't have CrossOver, and no one who owns CrossOver seems to have the game so they never tried it

For now it doesn't run. It also uses Denuvo which Crossover doesn't support.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
For now it doesn't run. It also uses Denuvo wich Crossover doesn't support.

Welp sticking to my Steam Deck then!

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
"This paves our way for an exciting future on Apple hardware."

Reactions: Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Let's not forget about Steam May survey. :)

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 02.22.45.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Stray! Now that’s lovely news. I already played it on PS5, but I’ll buy it again to show my support.
I am curious if it will be Mac App Store exclusive, or if it too will be on Steam, I could be persuaded to replay on Mac if it was on Steam.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I am curious if it will be Mac App Store exclusive, or if it too will be on Steam, I could be persuaded to replay on Mac if it was on Steam.
Apple lifted the Steam embargo for partner projects in this iteration, as it didn't work out as expected. It's up to the studio to decide where they want to sell it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple lifted the Steam embargo for partner projects in this iteration, as it didn't work out as expected. It's up to the studio to decide where they want to sell it.

Now how about RE Village get out of Mac App Store jail? Then I'd have a reason to play the Mac port.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Apple should have realized from the start that they are not in a position to dictate their conditions to game studios.
Of course they are, as long as they're paying them for ports. But the cut they take from App Store sales isn't enough to get that money back. So it's better to just take another financial hit and go with Steam. Apple won't get money from there either, but at least it's boosting marketshare for Mac games. Many/most won't buy a game again when they already own it for PC or are simply cautious investing into a Mac version, when PC might be the safer bet. Bringing it to Steam is a win-win situation for the end user. Buy once get it twice (PC/Mac). Old games already owned can now be played on the Mac. And for Apple, sure they don't get their cut from sales, but they'll have more people play games on the Mac that way and to be honest, they can afford it by using some of that mobile game money for desktop games.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No idea. That was done last year (actually the year before that), when App Store was set in stone.
Are we seeing this flood of games because the money isn't attached to Mac App Store required? Is this the reason why Capcom hasn't launch RE4 yet?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Of course they are, as long as they're paying them for ports. But the cut they take from App Store sales isn't enough to get that money back.
Which is my point. The Mac user base is too small, let alone the MAS user base.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Are we seeing this flood of games because the money isn't attached to Mac App Store required? Is this the reason why Capcom hasn't launch RE4 yet?
No App Store requirement is certainly attractive for some to swing over that would have declined otherwise. And in the end, money of course. I've always said, for the right price anyone will port their stuff (to any platform that is), as long as they can make enough cash. And no, Capcom and RE4 is a whole different story. But I'm curious if they will say anything about it next week.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
These are the kind of articles I miss on this site. An in-depth interview with Sean Murray on NMS on Mac. It turns out they worked on the project a whole year without Apple's involvement. Halfway through Apple got involved and offered great help. Some devs take the easy way. Some like Hello Games love some challenge.

"As a dev team, we watch Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference every year with excitement to see what shiny new tech they're going to unveil. Moving our engine to Vulkan moved us closer to Metal, and when Apple Silicon was announced, the opportunity and challenge was just too tantalizing to pass up."

"As a developer, I think you want the most people to play this game you love and have worked so hard on. I guess that's the thinking that means we want to release on Mac, to have that be a free update where it can be, and to offer it on Steam and the App Store."

"We've been working on this move to Metal for nearly two years now. About halfway through, Apple got involved as a close and very helpful partner, we couldn't have done it without them. It would probably be easier to just do a basic port of a game to a new architecture, but we wanted this to feel like a native game, something built for the hardware. It meant adopting a new rendering pipeline, shifting development to Xcode and Mac machines, and revisiting everything from controls to load times to reimplementing multiplayer. Certainly, it's painstaking and meticulous work, but it wasn't painful, it's the type of challenge we enjoy."

"On the tech side, our move to Vulkan opened up the door to Metal, and our move to VR opened up the door to Switch and mobile hardware. Like you, I'm excited to see where a move to Metal might lead in future. This is just our next step in a longer journey."

"I think my favorite thing about Mac development is that we have the excuse to go out and buy a whole bunch of high end Macs and Macbooks. There's a corner of the office that looks like an Apple Store now."

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom DLC will be released June 5 for Mac. It works on Apple Silicon and doesn't use OpenGL, but Metal through MoltenVK since 2018, unlike what Steam says.

Elder-Scrolls-Online-Necrom-release-date-4ecc6fc.jpg

Reactions: dmccloud

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I wonder if Feral is going to put more effort in porting more Mac games now that they seem to have left Linux porting behind or if they will do more mobile ports.

I was looking at the Steam charts again and noticed some things. Steam had 30,054,223 people online at most yesterday and 2.39% used Macs during May. That could be 718,295 Mac users in theory but probably it’s less. The 30 most played games yesterday are listed below.

1. CS: GO 64-bit Mac
2. Dota 2 64-bit Mac
3. Apex 64-bit
4. PUBG 64-bit
5. Rust 64-bit Mac
6. GTA V 64-bit
7. Destiny 2 64-bit
8. Wallpaper 64-bit
9. War Thunder 64-bit Mac
10. TF2 32-bit Mac
11. FIFA 23 64-bit
12. Street Fighter 64-bit
13. Unturned 64-bit Mac
14. CoD Modern WF 2 64-bit
15. FB Manager 23 64-bit Mac
16. Warframe 64-bit
17. TC Rainbow Six Siege 64-bit
18. Ark Survival Evolved 64-bit Mac
19. Naraka Bladepoint 64-bit
20. Civ VI Mac 64-bit Mac
21. DayZ 64-bit
22. Hearts of Iron VI 64-bit Mac
23. Lost Ark 64-bit
24. Dead by Daylight 64-bit
25. NBA 2K23 64-bit
26. Terraria 64-bit Mac
27. Euro Truck Sim 2 64-bit Mac
28. Garry’s mod 64-bit Mac
29. MIR4 64-bit
30. The Sims 4 64-bit Mac

14 have Mac ports. 13 are 64-bit and only 1 is 32-bit, Team Fortress 2, the only 32-bit game on that top 30 list. Not bad for a platform with only 2.39% on Steam. TF2 had a peak of 76,683 players. 2.39% of that is 1832 Mac gamers in theory, but we know that’s not true because about 71% don’t have Mojave or older OS on Steam.

People always mention Valve games as a testimony to the importance of legacy 32-bit games/apps. So who/where/how many are all these Mac gamers who want to play 32-bit games but can’t? Let’s see how popular the games really are.

Left 4 Dead 2 had a peak of 33,091 players, but the rest were less popular. Portal 2 had 2493 players, HL2 900, Half-Life 740, Portal 574, Left 4 Dead 541, Day of Defeat: Source 511, HL2 Episode Two 211 and HL2 Episode One 152 players. 2,39% of those numbers would be between 3 and 861 players on Mac. Now compare those numbers to the total of Steam users, 30 million, or 718,295 Mac users.

In other words it’s about market share. Windows is keeping 32-bit support because it has 74% of the total market and 96% of the Steam market share. The numbers for Mac are 15% and 2.39%. It doesn’t make much sense for Apple to make a huge effort to keep supporting 32-bit legacy apps year after year on a modern evolving architecture because a few people want to play Valve games. That’s up to the developers. When they see a large demand based on previous numbers and user base they update their apps to 64-bit, like CSGO and Dota 2 for Mac. Sometime you also have to force things to make technology advance, as Apple has done a few times before. Otherwise you end up in a situation like Valve. We still don’t have Half-life 3 after 16 years and it took 13 years to get Alyx. I still remember the anticlimax after I finished HL2 Episode 2 due to its ending. I enjoyed it once before the ending but didn’t touch it again. After all there are so many other games to play. Steam on Mac is still slow and not native and CSGO still uses OpenGL, the reason why it’s slower on Mac despite being 64-bit. CS:GO on Windows only supports DirectX, no Vulkan or OpenGL and Linux got Vulkan drivers only 18 months ago.

Many developers abandoned 32-bit years ago in the 2010s. Many old 32-bit games have also been updated to 64-bit with remasters or remakes or by the fan projects like Mac Source ports, even Half-Life, not to mention solutions like Crossover, Wine and Parallels. So I wonder how many all these Mac gamers really are who want to play 32-bit games but can’t?

Last edited:
Reactions: Numa_Numa_eh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.