Making the switch to iOS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLUEBLASTER, Jun 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Looking for some advise.

My contract runs out in September and I fancy a change from Android to Apple. I've never had an iphone before always has Samsung's (The Galaxy range). However I'm not hearing a lot of good things about the next iPhone. It seems like Apple are keeping all the good stuff for next year for the anniversary.

Would this year be the best time for me to make the change or wait until next year?

2. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

If I were you I'd wait until the iPhone 7 is released, then you can make a decision if it's worth it to you. If at that point the 6s seems like a better value, then prices will only go down with the new release, so it's a good window to buy.

As for what's after, you can't always trust rumors, and you never know what's going to happen.

3. BLUEBLASTER thread starter macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

If anything I would only get the 7 plus version. I would want to get the latest iPhone.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Agreed ^

wait till the 7 is out and see what it offers if all else fails you can get the 6s at a cheaper price point to what it currently is.

If you are still open to android then there will be devices such as note 7, nexus 7p also out close to the same time.

5. BLUEBLASTER thread starter macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

I can't stick with Android. The note series are great but the time it takes to get the latest version of Android is a joke. For me living in the UK feels like the updates take even longer. I know the Nexus phones get software updates faster but I don't like the hardware quality of the phones. They seem to be

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I would wait for the 7 then

Camera wise it should be a good improvement

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unsure how pricing works in the UK but the previous phone always drops by about $100 here when a new one comes out. If the 7 doesn't meet your fancy, just save some case and get a 6s series device.

I've never been anywhere near this happy with a phone; maybe the 4s came close. I expect to easily get another two years out of my phone last the 7 launch. I'm almost certain I'll skip the 7, but it's successor may be another story. Still, I'll need to be wowed

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Might I suggest an alternative while waiting to see what the 7 holds?

You could try buying an older iPhone for cheap. iOS 10 is coming so I wouldn't go any farther back than the iPhone 5, but the prices are much lower for older iPhones.

I'm not suggesting this as replacing your primary phone (but it could) but the idea would be to familiarize yourself with iOS before you commit to the 7 or next year's phone.

Granted, the 5 or even a 5s or 6 will not have all the latest features available, but common things like iMessage and iCloud, iTunes store, etc, etc are things that you can experience now to get a good sense of what you are getting in to.

This is what I did the year before my contract ended with an old WinMo phone. I carried around a 3GS for a year (along with my primary phone) and it was a great learning experience.

By the time I got my iPhone 5 I knew what I was in for and the transition was easy.

Just a thought…

9. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

The timing on this is good. For the last several years, the new models have been announced in early September (around September 9-10, etc). My guess for this year is that it'll be announced on either the 7th or the 14th (recently, they've been announcing on a Wednesday). That'll give you an idea of what the 7/7Plus will be like.

Resale values on iPhones hold up quite well, especially if you take care of your device. Getting one this year shouldn't be a hindrance against getting another one next year (eg. I upgrade every year).

10. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Try the iPhone 7 out when it is released for a few days. That's really the only way to know if it'll suit you. If you end up not liking iOS, you can always hear over to the Alternatives thread and get some great android phone recommendations (spoiler alert: they'll recommend a nexus unanimously based on your post).

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I say wait it out. I don't like hearing next year's iPhone will be all-glass again. We saw it with the iPhone 4 series, Xperia Z series, Galaxy S6/S7 series, and so many brands. Since I hate using cases, glass just isn't practical to me. OLED doesn't wow me since Samsung has used it for years. The only change I like hearing is no physical home button.

Besides, I really don't like YEAR 1 of a revamp in design. Expect another -gate year. I like the s models with the refinements. It seems like this iPhone coming out this year will be named 6SE since 6ss sounds too weird. Refinement year after refinement. Reserve the iPhone 7 name for next year which also will introduce the first of a three-year design cycle.

If you want the best version of the 6 series, then get the iPhone released this year as it looks to be an updated 6s. If you want the drastic changes especially externally, then wait for the 2017 iPhone 7. Apple is saving their fresh stuff for iPhone's 10-year anniversary.

12. BLUEBLASTER thread starter macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

That's sounds like a good idea for this years model. I would rather have a refinement phone than a redesigned one.

13. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

I don't think this will be a redesigned phone for you (as you never owned a iPhone before) this will be completely new phone for you.so go ahead and buy iPhone 7 when launched rather than wait for a iPhone That doesn't even exist (Doesn't make any sense to wait so long)

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Right every years phones always have some improvements over last years. You'll wait forever for the "perfect" iPhone.

15. Ofterhaver macrumors newbie

Ofterhaver

I'm still using an iPhone 5s, it works well till now except that the battery life gets worse and worse. I am also considering the choice of my next phone, S7 edge seems to be a good choice, however, I do think iOS is more secure.

16. waitandwait macrumors regular

Well they are all rumours. No one has actually seen the new iPhone any way. Of course everyone is waiting for the anniversary phone, but if you need an upgrade right away, just buy it!

17. Ofterhaver macrumors newbie

Ofterhaver

iPhone SE will surely be upgraded, but no one knows when the next generation will come.