Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Good to know. I guess all these pictures of police officers at London's airport are all photoshopped then:

https://www.google.com/search?q=london+airport+police+armed&tbm=isch

Seems someone must really like photoshopping submachine guns into the hands of London police officersat the airport. Really good work too, they look so real.
I think he's referring to civilians carrying guns. US allows open or concealed carry in some places, and I guess UK does not.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think he's referring to civilians carrying guns. US allows open or concealed carry in some places, and I guess UK does not.
The only line in the post (to which he's replying) where his comment would make any sense whatsoever is, "Police or criminals might shoot you thinking you're a threat." Now, granted, criminals are generally civilians, but it's hard to construe the comment, "In UK they don't carry guns", in that context, as implying any other subject than UK police.

Reactions: MH01

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Is it wrong that the first thing that came to mind when I saw the overall photo of that case is "If it has two oval-shaped holes in the end where the bullets are supposed to come out, it is the real-world version of a Rob Liefield gun!"

Actually it's not, because it's not chrome-plated and the size of a toaster, but it's the closest proportionally I've ever seen.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The only line in the post (to which he's replying) where his comment would make any sense whatsoever is, "Police or criminals might shoot you thinking you're a threat." Now, granted, criminals are generally civilians, but it's hard to construe the comment, "In UK they don't carry guns", in that context, as implying any other subject than UK police.

He was referring to street cops, and it's correct,no street cop has a gun. If the situation arises we have firearms units which are despatched when necessary.

High profile targets such as airports, embassy's, no 10 street, will have heavy armed units.

The average person in London or any where in the Uk will not see a police officer with a firearm . Pull a gun out, and a few cars will arrive shortly with heaven armed officers.

Guns are illegal for civilians . Unless used for hunting / farming.

Edit: was suppose to add sudo also....reply to you both.

Also the guy that posted the original statement probably saw it in a movie lol

Reactions: sudo1996

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
It is silly that they produce such thing..... but to risk because of a toy? I mean they check this kind of stuff and then the real deal does not get detected.....

How could you put peole in danger by carrying a case???

How about police think it's a real gun and start drawing their own guns and the people around it can be harm...

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
I can't believe that there are actually replies where people don't think using such a case is a dumb idea, shows bad judgement, and implies a complete lack of common sense.

Reactions: Stella

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I am gonna get me an iPhone case that looks like a bag of cocaine. I do not see any problems with that. It is just a case. I'll probably zip right through. Right?
I have watched enough episodes of Locked Up Abroad to know better. :D

Reactions: Cape Dave

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Not justifying the guy, but I expect
1) a "professional" to distinguish a real from a fake
2) a metal detector to identify a real gun (in case number 3 is not followed)
3) an Xray to see trought the plastic and see if it is a real one (yes cellphones have to be passed in the xray machine and not in your pocket.)

So IF the officers do the right job, then there should be no alarm!

All in all I think .....a slow news day.

I'll be happy to buy you one of these if still available and have you walk into a major airport and see how that will turn out. What can go wrong? they are professional after all.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yes, this is a very stupid thing to do. However, police in UK or the US, do not shoot people for just being in possession of a weapon, whether it is legal or illegal or real or fake.

Yes, this is going to get you stopped and may even cause them to draw weapons as the ask you to lay down on the ground. Which is what happened here. He didn't get shot because as stupid as he was, he was not so stupid as to resist the police.

The BS narrative that certain constituencies are making is that police shoot first and ask questions later.

In almost all of the recent shootings, the victim, refused to comply with police instructions and resisted arrest.

I don't know where people got the idea that a police office has to justify to you why you are being arrested before you comply. If people keep thinking that, then we will keep having situations like we just had. In this most recent situation, I'm not saying the cops were in any way justified, from what I saw, lethal force was not justified, but even racist cops aren't going to shoot someone who complies with their instructions.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I can't believe that there are actually replies where people don't think using such a case is a dumb idea, shows bad judgement, and implies a complete lack of common sense.

Dumb and dumber. Not sure it is dumber to carry or dumber to think carry it in airport is ok.
There is all kinds of people in this world.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Re: Manufacturer Liability. The case-maker and designer probably should have run this by the legal department before going into production.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Let's say you are in a country where lots of people carry guns, like the USA. You are in a shop, and the shop is robbed by an armed robber with a gun. All he wants is money and not get caught, and everything goes alright, until he spots you with the fake gun in your pocket. He sees the danger in the situation and shoots you. And you can't defend yourself with your stupid iPhone case.

Never carry a fake gun. Personally, I think you shouldn't carry a gun at all, even where it is legal, but by carrying a fake gun you get all the disadvantages and none of the advantages of carrying a gun.
[doublepost=1467934540][/doublepost]
Separate from gun ownership, I highly doubt legal gun carrying causes more gun deaths... at least if you only count innocents dying.
Guns are a major contributor to suicide in the USA. Not to suicide attempts, but suicide attempts with guns involved seem to be "successful" more often.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Let's say you are in a country where lots of people carry guns, like the USA. You are in a shop, and the shop is robbed by an armed robber with a gun. All he wants is money and not get caught, and everything goes alright, until he spots you with the fake gun in your pocket. He sees the danger in the situation and shoots you. And you can't defend yourself with your stupid iPhone case.

Never carry a fake gun. Personally, I think you shouldn't carry a gun at all, even where it is legal, but by carrying a fake gun you get all the disadvantages and none of the advantages of carrying a gun.
[doublepost=1467934540][/doublepost]
Guns are a major contributor to suicide in the USA. Not to suicide attempts, but suicide attempts with guns involved seem to be "successful" more often.
Unless, the guy robbing the place actually has an iPhone gun case and pretending it's a gun and then sees yours and realises you know his secret so he darts for the door. You then are the hero!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'll be happy to buy you one of these if still available and have you walk into a major airport and see how that will turn out. What can go wrong? they are professional after all.
Bonus points if he runs through the airport with it, and lunges towards police while grabbing at the gun-shaped phone case in his waistband. I mean, that's all perfectly legal, right?

Reactions: Cape Dave

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Actually, seeing that reminds me about a middle-aged businessman who was dragged from his car, and made to lay in the road spread-eagled, all at gunpoint, because he was wearing such a phone holster, and it was mistaken for a concealed weapon. (In the UK)

We do things a little different here the USA. If white man who is armed to the teeth is pulled over, the cop will politely ask to see his permits and possibly ticket him for the moving violation.

Or, if the white man was just in a gang shootout that involved shots fired at police, the cops will treat him like this:
CFPTl6TVIAAdzrJ.jpg

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Separate from gun ownership, I highly doubt legal gun carrying causes more gun deaths... at least if you only count innocents dying.

Il y a pas d'innocents. Les hommes sont coupables. Ils viennent au monde innocents, mais ça ne dure pas.-- Jean Pierre Melville

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Bonus points if he runs through the airport with it, and lunges towards police while grabbing at the gun-shaped phone case in his waistband. I mean, that's all perfectly legal, right?

No.... The correct ending to that story is...

he runs through the airport with it, and lunges towards police while grabbing at the gun-shaped phone case in his waistband, and screams "can you hear me now?" As he lands on the officers taking them all to the ground.

Reactions: CarlJ

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'd rather not have lots of my society carrying guns, even legally thanks. We've evolved past that. Even when handguns were legal here up until 1997, people just didn't have the interest level they get in the States.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I'd rather not have lots of my society carrying guns, even legally thanks. We've evolved past that. Even when handguns were legal here up until 1997, people just didn't have the interest level they get in the States.
In the urban or the rural areas? The US is a big country with states full of different people. In general, the gun laws are less admissive in the cities here. No open carry for sure, sometimes no concealed carry either. But it's not fair to take away guns from people living out in the desert, where law enforcement takes to long to respond that you've already been killed (by a human or an animal) by the time they arrive. And they can't effectively ban guns anywhere because they're too easy to smuggle in. The UK has the advantage of being smaller and an island, so it's easier to control that.

Also, evolved? Your country doesn't even have real freedom of speech. Say something anti-Israel, and you'll be paying a fine.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In the urban or the rural areas? The gun laws are less admissive in the cities here. No open carry for sure, sometimes no concealed carry either. But it's not fair to take away guns from people living out in the desert, where law enforcement takes to long to respond that you've already been killed (by a human or an animal) by the time they arrive.

Also, evolved? Your country doesn't even allow freedom of speech. Say something anti-Israel, and you'll be paying a fine.
I was talking about people 'carrying' guns, not owning them in rural locations. You can own shot guns here with a license.

The UK doesn't allow freedom of speech? Of course we do! We've just allowed the people to vote is out of Europe without going through a Senate and our protests happen without people getting shot.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I was talking about people 'carrying' guns, not owning them in rural locations. You can own shot guns here with a license.

The UK doesn't allow freedom of speech? Of course we do! We've just allowed the people to vote is out of Europe without going through a Senate and our protests happen without people getting shot.
Gun ownership in the rural areas is half of it. Go anywhere outside your house, and what, you can't have a gun? And Brexit isn't a good example of a protest. We have serious race issues here due to our history, but bills tend to go through peacefully. Anyway, in the city, I don't support legal carrying. I'm on the fence about it.

Also, you most definitely do not have freedom of speech. As horrible as it is to be racist, you apparently have the thought police protecting people against it, which is even worse. Anti-semitism is the example I've seen in the news, and that's the only reason I'm mentioning it. Yeah, Nazis are bad, but a lot of these people are just enraged Palestinians, and they get fined for being rude even if they aren't threatening. I'd think a speech-related crime would involve only jail time, not fines. A few examples: https://cst.org.uk/antisemitism/prosecutions
In the US, you wouldn't be prosecuted for most of these things. They're very careful to respect free speech. If you made an actual threat to someone's safety, you could be arrested and/or jailed, maybe sued in a civil court for harassment, and that's it.

Well, the UK is at least far better than France in that area.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.