Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163945-google_logo.jpg

As part of its quarterly earnings release issued today, Google announced changes to its top-level management structure, with the most high-profile change seeing co-founder Larry Page replacing Eric Schmidt as CEO as of April 4th. Page will take charge of day-to-day operations at the company, while Schmidt will become Executive Chairman and focus on business deals, partnerships and outreach. Google co-founder Sergey Brin will direct his energies to new and strategic product efforts.
- Starting from April 4, Larry Page, Google Co-Founder, will take charge of Google's day-to-day operations as Chief Executive Officer.
- Sergey Brin, Google Co-Founder, will devote his energy to strategic projects, in particular working on new products.
- Eric Schmidt will assume the role of Executive Chairman, focusing externally on deals, partnerships, customers and broader business relationships, government outreach and technology thought leadership--all of which are increasingly important given Google's global reach. Internally, he will continue to act as an advisor to Larry and Sergey.

Commenting on these changes, Eric said: "We've been talking about how best to simplify our management structure and speed up decision making for a long time. By clarifying our individual roles we'll create clearer responsibility and accountability at the top of the company. In my clear opinion, Larry is ready to lead and I'm excited about working with both him and Sergey for a long time to come."
Schmidt has posted additional thoughts on the changes in a blog post.

Google and Apple have had a complicated relationship over the years, with the two companies previously sharing a close relationship in facing off against Microsoft in the personal technology market and Schmidt joining Apple's board of directors in 2006.

But with both Apple and Google making strong pushes into the smartphone arena and the two companies competing in an ever-growing number of markets, questions arose about the close ties between them. Schmidt stepped down from Apple's board in 2009, citing diminishing effectiveness as he was forced to recuse himself from increasing numbers of discussions due to potential conflict of interest. Even with Schmidt's departure from Apple's board, tensions between the companies have remained high.

Article Link: Management Shakeup at Google: Larry Page to Replace Eric Schmidt as CEO

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Restructuring at the top is not a good sign.... They're worried about something and feel the market may slip away from them if they don't focus. It hints at getting worried... maybe a open systems OS and mobile OS is draining too many resources for little return????

That's how I see it... and how I've seen it in the past at big companies.

BTW... what were their earnings? I have not seen yet.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google co-founder Sergey Brin will direct his energies to new and strategic product efforts.

Read: "Google co-founder Sergey Brin will direct his energies to copying as many Apple products as he can." :eek:

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Maybe this will soften relations between Apple & Google. I don't think Google Maps has been updated on iPhone in a couple of years.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I never really liked Eric Schmidt, so I'm happy Larry Page is taking over as CEO.

Hopefully this means better Apple Google relations which in turn means better products for consumers like us.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Popeye206 said:
Why is this front page.?

To distract us and keep us from whining about hexoblobular screws! :D

That's pentobular.

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Woohooo! Bring on more electric cars and solar projects! Big money makers. :p Actually, I like Google but I don't like Google and Apple competing with each other. They could do a lot of good if they could stop stepping on each other's feet.

Here is a thought that puts things in perspective. Apple had about 3 times the revenue of Google in the latest quarter. Amazing.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Terrain View?

Maybe this will soften relations between Apple & Google. I don't think Google Maps has been updated on iPhone in a couple of years.

Indeed, I for one would love to see Terrain View added to the MapKit framework.:cool:

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I never really liked Eric Schmidt, so I'm happy Larry Page is taking over as CEO.

Hopefully this means better Apple Google relations which in turn means better products for consumers like us.

Maybe together with Cook. Jobs is simply unable to have a good relation with anyone.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Maybe together with Cook. Jobs is simply unable to have a good relation with anyone.
Because we don't see 'CEO of [COMPANY] commented on Steve Jobs today: called him 'Swell'" as a Mac Rumors headline? Most people I know who have had interactions and discussions with him actually found him to be quite civil and pleasant.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I saw this coming. As soon as Jobs announced his leave, I knew Schmidt would copy him. :D

I view this as a rebuke of Schmidt and all the **** he has thrown on the wall to find another revenue stream. Nothing is really sticking.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

It would be nice... but I doubt it. Too many hard lines in the sand now. Too much overlap and they both know the value of owning the customer.

Either way... Google and Apple are both here to stay for now. Both learning from the other. At least Google shows some good competition for the consumer. Both are the leaders right now.

Humm... I get sad when I think of poor Steve Balmer standing all alone kicking cans with a sign "Please buy my phones!" :(

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Larry: "Eric, you are running this company I founded into the ground."
Eric: " Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ok Larry!"

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Whoever decided google wave was a good idea deserves to be sacked. buzz, too.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I saw this coming. As soon as Jobs announced his leave, I knew Schmidt would copy him. :D

I view this as a rebuke of Schmidt and all the **** he has thrown on the wall to find another revenue stream. Nothing is really sticking.

The sooner the better for that crock called Schmidt and his Google/Android copycat machine...now let's hope Page screws up the pooch even more.

Or as SJ once said, the "do no evil" mantra has been pure BS for a long time already...no surprises here.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
android is already a money maker and a good one at that, and they are forecasting around $1B per year for android, not to shabby, google's $$$ is just fine
Restructuring at the top is not a good sign.... They're worried about something and feel the market may slip away from them if they don't focus. It hints at getting worried... maybe a open systems OS and mobile OS is draining too many resources for little return????

That's how I see it... and how I've seen it in the past at big companies.

BTW... what were their earnings? I have not seen yet.
ha! why am i not surprised? i guess apple invented copy and paste on cell phone OS and multitasking huh?
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Read: "Google co-founder Sergey Brin will direct his energies to copying as many Apple products as he can." :eek:
why would a relationship between apple and google translate into anything good for consumers? Both are making very strong products to compete with each other, let the iron curtain remain!

because PING and mobile me are far superior products ha!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Whoever decided google wave was a good idea deserves to be sacked. buzz, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
...hey btw i have a question about macrumors.com.
when we rate the post as "positive-negative", do we vote if we like the news or if the news are well presented? i don't really get it :p
It's not about the story, it's about you. Deep in the bowels of MacRumors there is a little old lady who spends her days counting positives and negatives. They go on your permanent record.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.