Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sevenmac.de reports [Google translation] that they have received an anonymous tip that the rumored March 24th Apple special event will focus on software.
Sevenmac has now received from an anonymous information source a report that the March 24th event should revolve exclusively around software. More precisely, Apple's video Pro Apps should receive updates or see new versions.
According to Sevenmac, a new version of Final Cut Studio currently exists as an internal beta. The beta version, however, is reported to be buggy, which could force Apple to delay the special event by several weeks. No additional information on other possible software updates for the event are given. It would be unusual for Apple to hold a standalone media event for software updates alone, though further announcements or demonstrations of Apple's upcoming Snow Leopard could conceivably warrant an event.

Rumors of a March 24th event began circulating just days before Apple released new iMacs, Mac minis and Mac Pros. With that revamp of Apple's entire desktop line having occurred last week, the March 24th rumor was presumed to have been unfounded. This latest tip, however, revives speculation that Apple may yet be planning more releases in the near future.

Article Link: March 24th Event to Focus on Software?

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Good! Software or not, let's hope they keep moving along with updates. Although, even if the software is buggy, why would they delay the event? They might as well delay the release of the actual product like they do with so much other stuff.

timewarp424

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
What your guys' best guess? Should I wait for the event and then get an ipod touch or just get one right now?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
FCP and DVDSP and others are long due. Possibly they decided it would be best to coincide with the new features of Snow Leopard and QT. And Snow seems close to completion. Maybe new apps and Snow Leopard March 24. That would be pretty amazing.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I don't see anything major software-related being announced until WWDC (i.e. Snow Leopard) so we'll see what comes of this. Perhaps the new FCP suite or at least a demo of Snow Leopard along with an release date of WWDC? Hmm, even that seems iffy, I think we are more likely to see a full-on demo of Snow Leopard at WWDC along with a release date at that point in time, not earlier. Guess we'll see though!

mistuk

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2004
Amesbury, UK
How about an Aperture update? iPhoto has had new features added, Lightroom 2 has also jumped ahead in terms of features.........

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If this is a true event we might see a preview of Snow Leopard. Keep in mind Developers use Mac Pros. The latest seed supposedly doesn't support these machines. I'm guessing they will show off the first "true release candidate" version of Snow Leopard on one of the new Mac Pros.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
How about an Aperture update? iPhoto has had new features added, Lightroom 2 has also jumped ahead in terms of features.........

Yes. That's my guess - Aperture will certainly get some of the new iLife features and more hopefully. Look forward to it....

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
What your guys' best guess? Should I wait for the event and then get an ipod touch or just get one right now?

They aren't going to release any iPods, that's in september, last year they had free iPod touches with the purchase of a new Mac (education customers).

If anything we see Snow Leopard or something totally different..

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
I don't think we'll see Snow Leopard. They said June, I"m going to go on that initial information as it's the only concrete thing we've got. The seed progress has been impressive though (just in terms of speed of production, I have no idea how it performs as I'm not a developer). New Aperture would be brilliant ... maybe I'll finally learn how to use it then!

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
It would be a good time for them to release fCS 3 for me, just ordered my new mac pro and that would sure be nice to go along with it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Makes sense.

Final Cut updates used to come at the NAB conventions at the end of April, but since Apple isn't going anymore they'll have to make up their own event to announce it.

The software team probably set "April 2009" as their goal when they started work, thinking they'd be at NAB. That's not going to happen anymore, but it makes sense that if they kept on shedule the software would be ready at roughly the same time of year.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I don't think snow leopard is close to release candidate at all. At least the latest beta felt quite buggy. Not just buggy, performance wise worse than leopard on many areas as well, and that's on a Octo 3.2. I'm guessing it won't be ready before June/July to ship. But a demo on this media event would be nice.

timewarp424

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
They aren't going to release any iPods, that's in september, last year they had free iPod touches with the purchase of a new Mac (education customers).

If anything we see Snow Leopard or something totally different..

Actually, I just referenced the buyer's guide, which states it's fresh for an update, which makes sense. The ipod would need to be updated relatively soon before the education buying season. If you remember, when you bought a mac, you got the old version of the ipod. Only after the event did they update the ipods. My conclusion: It's gotta be coming soon!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
WWDC seems more likely for Snow Leopard and aligns with Apple's comments at last year's event of Snow Leopard shipping in "about a year". They covered it at last year's WWDC and will release it at this year's, that's my guess.

This event will probably be a new FCP Studio release (some of those apps are way overdue for a refresh!) and/or a new Aperture. Apple has so much on their plate these days I can't see anything new coming from them at this point in time, so the options are limited as to what this event will showcase.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
...As long a the new Final Cut will have an updated GUI, I'll be happy... I'm sick and tired of the current OS8 UI. I would love to see an overhaul like they did with Logic.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't think snow leopard is close to release candidate at all. At least the latest beta felt quite buggy. Not just buggy, performance wise worse than leopard on many areas as well, and that's on a Octo 3.2. I'm guessing it won't be ready before June/July to ship. But a demo on this media event would be nice.

I hope you realize the seed released was 10A286 and Apple is probably at 10A339 internally.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Fair do's, I mean we consumers did just get updates to virtually every single piece of hardware (albeit ****** updates).

/opinion

The way Apple are going, they'll probably take TextEdit out of OS X and sell it separately for £400 claiming it to be "The World's Most Advanced Text Editor". This could be the big announcement of the event, and scarily I can imagine the webpage on apple.com

/sarcasm
/rant

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
How about fixing iWeb!

Let's say..... make it for I can publish my site without errors. And while you are at it Apple, can you fix the huge bloated code and extensive time it takes for my pages to download on a broadband connection?

Just my thoughts....

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Keep in mind Developers use Mac Pros.

Have you ever even met a developer? Or a Mac Pro user for that matter?

Like almost everybody else, most developers have moved to notebooks to not be tied to a desk in order to work. And if the guys from 37 Signals are an indication, "developers" use a MacBook Pro, program in a scripting language and have a 30" display on their desk in case they -want- to work on a desk.

If you want to see a Mac Pro in action, visit your friendly professional photographer next door and see him shoot pictures with his camera tethered to Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Those guys are more likely to use Mac Pros than your next door software developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.