Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
I'm only interested in how this could positively affect the recently Yahoo! Screen purchased tv show, Community. :D

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
The Firefox switch to Yahoo really pissed me off. Why should software screw with my default search engine just because I installed an update?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The Firefox switch to Yahoo really pissed me off. Why should software screw with my default search engine just because I installed an update?

And that would explain how I came to notice that yahoo had crappy search results. Maybe everyone should send this woman at yahoo a screenshot of us changing the default engine to something else in the current Firefox.

Let her know their money went down the toilet.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yahoo is just Bing anyway. If these are the two options Apple has, Microsoft have won already.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Safari is already on my shtlist, making Yahoo garbage the search engine will seal the deal.
That rag has ruined yahoo completely. Email service is terrible and she has neutered everything good about yahoo

----------

I still think Apple should buy Yahoo! so they have the groundwork to create their own search engine.

With Yahoo! wanting to separate out their Alibaba ownership stake into a separate business, this make the purchase of Yahoo!'s search engine more conceptually realistic.

If they did maybe Apple could fix Yahoo Mail. It couldn't be worse than it is now

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
If would use Yahoo only if they changed their layout. It's like they are stuck in the 90s.
the opposite, yahoo kind of worked alright for lots of people until they started this whole stupid reboot of yahoo a few years ago.
Since then email has been slow, buggy and hard to navigate,
but it looks fresh!
A massively siloed company like yahoo cant model itself after nimble startups. It's just dumb.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I still think Apple should buy Yahoo! so they have the groundwork to create their own search engine.

With Yahoo! wanting to separate out their Alibaba ownership stake into a separate business, this make the purchase of Yahoo!'s search engine more conceptually realistic.

If I am not mistaken, Yahoo shut down its own search engine back in 2009/10 when they were really circling the drain with a new CEO every month. I believe they just re-tag Bing results when you type a search in the Yahoo "search engine". Once Alibaba is gone, I am not sure what is left for a buyer to sift through the carcass of Yahoo.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
They should change that logo. It looks so awful, it causes me physical pain. It's bad in every respect that I can think of.

More on topic, I actually use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. I'm not particularly paranoid about Google basically knowing me better than my mom, but I thought I should at least try to make it somewhat difficult for them. However, it just doesn't work for me at all. It almost always gives me results that are not really relevant. Fortunately it has the g! functionality, so I can use Google without them tracking me.
Logo issues also make DDG a nonstarter, at least for me. The they'd get rid of that ridiculous duck on above the search field, I might actually use them.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
The big question is why a huge rich company like Apple can't make a better, more compatible browser than Safari?
Also, how can Apple take an already lackluster product and ruin the design (it's one good point) by putting the re-size buttons on the same line as the entry field and why can't we just delete history without deleting everything else?
Pathetic

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
So long as we have the ability to change the default search engine, I'll be happy. I dumped Yahoo! products long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.