Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Often these kinds of disputes have fair arguments to be made on both sides. But that’s not the case here. Facebook‘s position is just wrong; and Mr. Zuckerberg has to know that.

His position, in essence, is that it’s wrong for users to be informed that Facebook wants to track them and for Facebook to have to get permission from users in order for it to track them in some ways. And Apple is somehow the bad guy for trying to facilitate those things for Apple users.

I don’t use Facebook, but I’d like to think that if I did this situation would be enough for me to stop using it. Facebook’s position is offensive. It’s blatantly hostile to users' interests and Facebook’s nonsensical spin - desperately trying to defend the indefensible and make it out that Apple is the bad guy here - is insulting to people’s intelligence.

How can anyone trust Facebook - with regard to what else it might be doing or might do in the future - given how transparent its hostility to users' interests is and given the low regard which it has demonstrated that it has for users?

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
That would require Apple to stop doing the bidding of the Chinese Government. Can't see it myself.
Apple is making software features like these that irritate Zuckerberg a core part of their devices; and physically they are diversifying when it comes to geographical dependencies as far as factories. So I'd say that Apple is moving in the right direction.

If Apple stay on this course there will, however, come a point where the Chinese market will get customised software and hardware to a much greater extent than we see today; so a potential clash between Apple and the CCP might happen.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Apple is making software features like these that irritate Zuckerberg a core part of their devices; and physically they are diversifying when it comes to geographical dependencies as far as factories. So I'd say that Apple is moving in the right direction.

If Apple stay on this course there will, however, come a point where the Chinese market will get customised software and hardware to a much greater extant than we see today; so a potential clash between Apple and the CCP might happen.

Wishful thinking.

China accounts for over 15% of Apples revenue and at its peak has been as high as 25% also China isn't like the US where they can hide behind the supreme court when the FBI come calling, its comply or die in China and there is no way Apple is willing to risk 20% of its revenues.

Tim Cook likes to talk about Google and Facebook when it comes to pivacy being a human right but he's silent on China, we all know why.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Wishful thinking.

China accounts for over 15% of Apples revenue and at its peak has been as high as 25% also China isn't like the US where they can hide behind the supreme court when the FBI come calling, its comply or die in China and there is no way Apple is willing to risk 20% of its revenues.

Tim Cook likes to talk about Google and Facebook when it comes to pivacy being a human right but he's silent on China, we all know why.
It's a ??-based company; so ultimately Apple will act according to the pressures put upon it by the ?? government, as well as Apple's world-wide users.

No matter if we're talking FB or CCP the ultimate power over Apple doesn't come from them.

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
It's a ??-based company; so ultimately Apple will act according to the pressures put upon it by the ?? government, as well as Apple's world-wide users.

No matter if we're talking FB or CCP the ultimate power over Apple doesn't come from them.

That isn't correct.

Apple is subject to local laws in the countries it operates in outside of the US. In China it is subject to the laws imposed by the CCP.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Apple is subject to local laws in the countries it operates in outside of the US. In China it is subject to the laws imposed by the CCP.
ULTIMATELY, as a ??-based company, the US laws can force Apple to behave on, or exit, other markets in certain ways. Just like Apple can be forced to not export to like Iran, and so on.

Reactions: jjack50

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
ULTIMATELY, as a ??-based company, the US laws can force Apple to behave on, or exit, other markets in certain ways. Just like Apple can be forced to not export to like Iran, and so on.

Never going to happen.

Also don't Apple think privacy is a fundamental human right? Apparently this doesn't extend to iPhone users in China

The likes of Facebook and Google are deeply problematic but its easy for Apple to pick fights with them (all while still pocketing googles cash i might add) not so easy to do the right thing when your profits are at stake.

Cook/Apple are enormously hypocritical on this issue.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Even if Apple were to disallow Facebook apps on its devices, it wouldn’t make people not buy those devices. They’d probably just use the web browser. Facebook cannot hurt Apple as much as it thinks it can. Google on the other hand, can, since Apple puts Google as default search engine on their devices while tooting about privacy, for a sum of multi-billion dollars. That would hurt, if Google were to decide it doesn’t want to be default search engine on Apple devices anymore. That would hurt by billions of dollars. Facebook? I, in my understanding, don’t know how could Facebook hurt Apple enough to inflict pain.. litigation costs?

Reactions: KeithBN

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Don’t let them track, get served with crappy ads, let them track you, get targeted ads. It’s really a no win situation.

Personally, I don’t see why Facebook has to collect so much of our data just to serve its users personalised ads. It feels like overkill, and I would be happy for them to track way less of my data in order for the ads to be a little less accurate.

Meanwhile, the lockdown app continues to be worth its proverbial weight on gold, routinely blocking thousands of trackers from google and facebook each day.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Even if Apple were to disallow Facebook apps on its devices, it wouldn’t make people not buy those devices. They’d probably just use the web browser. Facebook cannot hurt Apple as much as it thinks it can. Google on the other hand, can, since Apple puts Google as default search engine on their devices while tooting about privacy, for a sum of multi-billion dollars. That would hurt, if Google were to decide it doesn’t want to be default search engine on Apple devices anymore. That would hurt by billions of dollars. Facebook? I, in my understanding, don’t know how could Facebook hurt Apple enough to inflict pain.. litigation costs?

Lending support to the various anti trust investigations is where they could probably do the most damage.

Facebook are on shaky ground with that though because they deserve a lot of scrutiny in that area.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
It’s time for Apple to implement Apple Social Media(ASM)...users would run from FB. ASM will give you paramount security, privacy etc. FB would cease to exist.

1.82 billion people log on to Facebook everyday and about 500 million on Instagram, many of them on non Apple devices. So no, they really wouldn't

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Facebook sells their hardware products for the price they cost them to manufacture. They don’t make a profit off their Oculus, Portal or future Watch devices.

With that said, you’re the product. They don’t need to make a profit off hardware because your data is profitable enough.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
1.82 billion people log on to Facebook everyday and about 500 million on Instagram, many of them on non Apple devices. So no, they really wouldn't

The bulk of facebook usage comes from mobile, and Apple has aggregated the best customers thanks to the iPhone.

It’s the same reason why google pays Apple billions to keep google search as default in safari.

Facebook won’t go bankrupt, but they will likely see their revenues decrease significantly from an inability to target iOS users with ads (because the lower efficacy means they will not be able to charge as much for their ad targeting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.