Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
My Apple Watch has this problem, my DD13's does not. I was on Watch os2 Beta, she was not. As soon as it gets to 100% charge in a couple of hours, I'm going to unpair and re-pair mine. Hopefully, that fixes it. This has been a very informative thread.

ralpa

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
The battery life of my watch was great until I reset it two days ago. Massive drain during the day.

Full charged yesterday and it was back to normal.

Last night was crazy. I tried to sleep by wearing it. 100%, airplane mode, slept at 1:30am and woke up at 8am. I couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up. It got 8% left!!!

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I bought my new Watch with OS2 already installed (upgraded from a sport) and have had random battery drain for no apparent reason at all. I literally took it off the charger an hour ago and have done nothing but check the time and it's gone down 10% already. Yesterday, it only drained 30% in 13 hours with average use so I know it has to be a glitch somewhere (my first watch did this too). Super frustrating. I mostly get 2% drain an hour but lately it keeps clutching and I'm getting four-five times that

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Just sitting here at my desk and got a bunch of taps on my wrist I haven't felt before. 'What the heck was that ...' Looked down and saw a 10% left warning. Since the AW release day and all final iOS and WatchOS updates this is the first time I have ever seen the watch go below 20%. Even then, those times were well into the evening after a busy day. This is after 9 hours of mostly me sitting on my butt at meetings. Whatever happened to cause this drain was well after the last OS updates and seems like a random event that could occur at any moment.

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The watch suddenly alerted me at 10% today at 5:30pm. It never happened in the few months of use. I've updated to watchOS 2 as soon as it came out and it had been fine (~40% at 11pm - 12am). So I really don't know what's happening today. I then put the phone in power reserve mode for the first time since I got it in June. The power reserve mode basically turned the phone into an expensive paperweight which only tells time when you push some buttons for a few seconds. Yuck.

I left the company at around 6pm and I turned it back on so that it could count my calories. At 20 minutes later, it's completely dead (from 10% to 0).

This mysterious battery drain is just freaking insane!

If this is a known bug and Apple doesn't fix it asap then I think the market for the watch is dead in the water. Damn it. I am among the 2-3 people around me that supports the Apple Watch and I paid the most for getting the SS Link Bracelet.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What the...
I checked the usage in the Apple Watch app and it said I used my watch for 5 hours today! I didn't even play with it today except occasional check of time! That's insane!

I remember I checked the watch when it reported 10% of battery at 5:30pm. It didn't feel warm and I didn't find it unresponsive.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
What the...
I checked the usage of on the Apple Watch app and it said I used my watch for 5 hours today! I didn't even play with it today except occasional check of time! That's insane!.
I would like to be able to see which app is using the most power, like iOS can display in its Usage page. Maybe the next version of the Watch app on the phone.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I just bought a brand new 38mm champagne gold sport model... it came without OS2 preinstalled so I had to install it once I got home. First couple days I had easily ~40% left at bedtime near midnight. Then one day at work, I went to put it back on at 4 pm (we have to store our electronic devices in locked boxes because of security) it was 99% when I put it in there - on airplane mode - at 0800 and at 1600 it would not turn on. I held the button in, and only the time and a red bolt icon... so the watch battery was nearly dead. The entire day it was locked in a locker on airplane mode. Makes no sense... BUt then I realized something weird happened... I had the phone sitting on it's side, and the next day I realized that somehow that new bedside function might be the cause even though it wasn't attached to the charger. I read someone else had turned off bedside mode and the issue has not happened again. I didn't alter my bedside mode... but I have been making sure it is sitting flat when in the locker and it has not happened again since. I am back to 40% or so by bedtime, and I never did the re-pairing thing. So either it is keepign it flat that's working, or the fact that the watch battery literally died, the watch rebooted and maybe it was the reboot itself that fixed it. But I thought I should mention there may be a glitch with the bedside mode in that it sometimes activates even without the charger attached. And that mode is new with OS2 is it not?

Reactions: haruhiko

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
So my Watch was on the OS 2 GM for the past few weeks. Today I got a 12.5 software update that I assume was to patch the critical bug that delayed the OS 2 release to the public. I never have less than 40% battery left when I go to be (between 11pm-12am est). However, after updating there seems to be something causing massive battery drain as I got an alert that I was down to 10% at 7:55pm and by 8pm I was down to 6%. Anyone else experiencing the same problem and if you are do you have a fix?

I never had any battery problems with Watch OS 1, but with watch OS 2 I just had one day were my battery drained in one day - my Watch usually lasts 2 days. Rebooting my watch fixed that issue.

chiffchaff

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Western US
Mine died twice in the past week after never having any battery issues at all (got it in early May and updated to OS2 as soon as it came out). The other days in the last week (besides the 2 when it drained) I got great battery life as usual. Don't know what was going on. I unpaired, re-paired and restored from backup and no problems since then, but it's only been a couple days.

I should have tried rebooting first but I didn't - I had heard that unpairing and re-pairing worked for battery issues and other than taking some time, there didn't seem to be a down side to trying that. I didn't lose any activity data.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Took my Apple Watch off the charger at 7am yesterday, returned back to my place at 2am, was at 37% battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.