Massive WatchOS 2 battery drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Got the Shakes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

Yeah same thing as you - I saw on another thread some suspected dark sky so I have removed that app but still have the rain notification coming to my phone but the app is no longer installed. I could correlate the new battery drain to the time frame they released a bug fix for their watch OS app. I just uninstalled today - I will let you know if it seems to help.

2. Mr. Y macrumors regular

Any thoughts on particular watch faces causing more drain than others? When I use Modular with multi-colors it tends to drain faster than Simple with a uniform color.

3. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

I am using multi colour modular face as well, no change on battery usage. My stat is at post #121.

4. philbo7, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

I just did the 2.0 update yesterday evening. After charging it overnight and putting it back on at 7:30 am I still have 67% battery life at 9:30 pm. Before the update I would usually be close to 50% after a full day. So, at least for the first day, battery life is better for me without a re-pair. Just went through a normal day with the same modular face and light use (many notifications though).

Edit: A lot of you are talking about Dark Sky. I have several free weather apps but not Dark Sky...

5. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I have a feeling that watch face does it for me. Even if I use it for a little bit and change to another face the draining starts. It's weird.

6. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

It's not an app, it's something with the update causing issues. My watch was unaffected, my wife's watch had the battery drain. My update went smooth as silk, about 20 minutes start to finish, perhaps. My wife's update took hours. Coincidence?

7. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I had a crazy problem too with battery drain. I had watchOS2 running and iOS 9. When they released iOS 9.0.1 and i installed my watch battery suddenly dropped from over 80% to under 10% in an hour and then went into power saver mode. Since then it has not happened again.

8. btkadams macrumors regular

mine is dying halfway through the day since the last update too. used to last 2 full days.

do i lose anything by unpairing and re-pairing the watch as a new watch? or is it risk-free? will the activity/health data get messed up at all, or do apps/settings get wiped off of it?

9. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Re-pairing is basically risk free. I've done it quite a few times already due to I have manage few watches and few phones in difference pairs. So far, it cost me zero trouble.

I don't really care about the activity record. So I can't tell, but it seems someone did report that you will lost those data.

The apps / settings will be recovered after re-pairing.

10. BarracksSi, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Unpairing and re-pairing didn't erase my Activity data. It stopped recording while the pairing process continued (I ran an errand while it processed), but everything which was recorded earlier in the day came back like nothing ever happened.

[adding on] Public release OSes, no betas, now 9.0.2 and 2.0.

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

after 13 hours usage mine is at 30% and this was with 30 mins of usage when at the gym

is that good?

12. Mr. Y macrumors regular

Your data, such as Health and Activity, should be stored in your phone, and unpairing and re-pairing won't mess it up, particularly because when you unpair it creates a backup and asks you if you want to restore from that backup when you re-pair. The only downside is, it can take a while to go through the entire process.

13. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I've found that after charging overnight to full, I wake up and put it on around 5 AM.. If I recharge to full around 10 AM or so, I have 75% left around 6 PM.. I usually take it off around 9:30 PM and put it on the charger.

14. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

battery life sucks today for mine

wake up at 5:00 am its at 100%

do a 45 minute workout around 6:00 am

its 7:23 am now and im already down to 84%

usually im still in the 90% range at this time of the morning.

15. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

That may not be so horrible as a 45 minute workout (if you use the workout app) will burn about 8-10% of the battery life. Sometimes, just cold booting the watch will fix any other minor drain issue that could be tied to a bad app.

16. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

i ended up resetting all settings on my iphone , erase data from my watch and restore back up and repaired. see if that makes any diffrence both devices seem to drain battery quickly and the iphone is a new iphone6s! still have all my apple watch data also.

17. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

i just downloaded iOS 9 PB3 - really hoping this helps with my battery drain issue...reset/repair helped but it's still draining a lot more than it was with OS 2 GM (i had better battery life with that)

18. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

That stinks. I am in os9.1 beta and os2 and when I first upgraded I got the fast battery drain and had to do the unpair/re-pair and it has been fine ever since. You are not alone as others (small group) have been unable to fix the battery issue no matter what they tried and others have suggested. Almost as though there is still a bug and some have posted online that apple is working on a bug still.

19. batristain, Oct 2, 2015

batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I just did the update i got around lunch today (10/2) and did a restart on the watch (not re-pair) and now my battery drain is gone - it's back to watch os2 GM - download the update and reboot your watch no need to repair.

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Awesome. And thanks for the carrot reference as it is fast to load and two complications is nice. Much better than dark sky but I do like dark sky on my phone. I actually have both on my modular face.

21. batristain, Oct 2, 2015

batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I still have the Dark sky notifications coming from my phone to my watch - yes I love those...So far about 4 hours in and i'm down from 99% to 83%- that's with text, calls, and notifications today. I think whatever was in the update they released today fixed my battery drain issue. Glad you like Carrot - I love it - snark and all :)

Update - I charged my phone to 100% before I went out tonight and I can confirm I'm only losing about 3% a hour and that's normal I have a 38MM. This update that came out today worked once I did a hard reset of the watch and phone.

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

6 hours usage
    17 hours standby

should i back-up and unpair and see if it gives me better battery life?

23. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I would try re booting the watch first. This has happened to me a couple of times and rebooting the watch has always fixed it. I've never had to unpair it.

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Will give it a try thanks

25. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

Update - The iOS update (I'm using the PB) I got for my iPhone yesterday has dramatically increased my Apple Watch battery life - I have a 38 MM so my battery was never as good as you folks with the 42 MM but today with 10 hours of use it's only down 33% - I've never had that great of a battery life and I've had my watch since April 24th. If you are still having issues there's hope the next iOS update will fix it - just do an actual reboot of the watch (hold both side buttons until apple logo appears) and reboot your phone after you update with the new iOS. Fixes that issue - for me at least whew!

Cheers,
    B