MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Major League Baseball and MasterCard announced a partnership that has seen Apple Pay support roll out at concession stands at ballparks in San Francisco and Kansas City for the World Series. As part of its World Series promotional push, MasterCard also debuted a pair of television ads during last night's Game 1, featuring Apple Pay and the company's "Priceless Surprises" program that has seen cardholders surprised with various rewards.

On its Priceless Surprises website, MasterCard notes it has surprised over 70,000 cardholders with various rewards, and now Apple Pay gives users more ways to win.

Apple launched its Apple Pay mobile payments service on Monday with the debut of iOS 8.1, with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus supporting the service in-store and in apps, while the new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 support it for in-app purchases only.

MasterCard, Visa, and American Express have all signed onto the program, as have over 500 banks and a number of major retailers. Launching first in the United States, Apple Pay is now accepted at over 200,000 points of sale and the cards and banks responsible for the vast majority of U.S. credit card spending are compatible with the service.

Article Link: MasterCard Airs 'Priceless Surprises' World Series Ads Featuring Apple Pay

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
'Priceless surprise' indeed.

"Hey, keep all of your financial details on a smartphone that can't even keep a stable wifi signal."

I hope you'll forgive me if I'm a little pessimistic about Apple Pay. No doubt it'll be big -- I just sincerely hope nothing goes wrong as that would be disastrous.

Comment

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Definitely didn't take these guys long!!
I'm impressed. I'm not into sports, but I attend concerts often... would love to see this kind of rewards take off.

Comment

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Wonder if this guy used Apple Pay

Attachments

• B0g2PMaIMAAoGxH.jpg-large.jpeg
    B0g2PMaIMAAoGxH.jpg-large.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 221
Comment

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

"Hey, keep all of your financial details on a smartphone that can't even keep a stable wifi signal."

I hope you'll forgive me if I'm a little pessimistic about Apple Pay. No doubt it'll be big -- I just sincerely hope nothing goes wrong as that would be disastrous.

Yes, I would much rather hand my card with my account number, security code and signature to a waiter who takes it to the back to process it. No chance that system would have issues.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, I would much rather hand my card with my account number, security code and signature to a waiter who takes it to the back to process it. No chance that system would have issues.

Well in the rest of the world (not America), we have this great thing called 'chip and pin'. And it's everywhere.

So the steps are:

1) take out your card
2) put your card in and type in your pin

I appreciate Apple Pay will be great across the pond, but it's essentially the same process -- except your phone is your card and your pin is your fingerprint. And as iOS 8 was a steaming buggy pile I'm sure you can grant me a little cynicism.

Comment

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Google wallet never had this push not even remotely close. Can't wait to hear the responses from all the android naysayers

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Well in the rest of the world (not America), we have this great thing called 'chip and pin'. And it's everywhere.

So the steps are:

1) take out your card
2) put your card in and type in your pin

I appreciate Apple Pay will be great across the pond, but it's essentially the same process -- except your phone is your card and your pin is your fingerprint. And as iOS 8 was a steaming buggy pile I'm sure you can grant me a little cynicism.

You missed this one:
3) hope a thief doesn't see your pin, then lifts your wallet and go spending while you are unaware it is missing

Comment

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Great feature. Just wish it was available in Europe. It's frustrating being an Apple customer when you don't live in the USA, we still don't have iTunes Radio.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple should thank the NSA (or was it FBI) for complaining that their systems were secure enough that they couldn't be accessed by government spying. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

They were also complaining about Google too

Comment

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
The real priceless surprize is when you find out Apple sold iAds based on your personal information.

----------

Apple should thank the NSA (or was it FBI) for complaining that their systems were secure enough that they couldn't be accessed by government spying. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

LOL, that's not what they said, and it isn't true.

Comment

Mazeman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007

The beauty of Apple Pay is that NOTHING of any value if kept on the phone, or kept by Apple. No CC#, security code, or expiration date. Your CC# isn't even transmitted to the vendor.

You might want to read up on it.

Comment

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
MC is really going hard in for the :apple:Pay

Might be irrelevant to some - but this is going to save them billions in fraud charges - that's why these banks are so happy.

Even if the phone is stolen is useless since the thief won't have your fingerprints and you can easily disabled it using any browser.

Last edited:
Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013

Almost correct. What we have is "Chip and PIN, Pinch and Bonk".

The latter part is where someone lifts your card and goes on an NFC spending spree at McDonalds.

Or perhaps he is lucky enough to see you typing in your PIN **IN CLEAR TEXT** before he nabs it, then goes on a real bender with your cash.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You missed this one:
3) hope a thief doesn't see your pin, then lifts your wallet and go spending while you are unaware it is missing

You missed this one:

3) when typing in your pin, be sure to mouth the numbers aloud, then turn to grin at the person behind you. Perhaps you can give the potential thief a little wink as well, then put your wallet back in an unzipped, loose back pocket, and pat it obviously to show where you keep all your cash and cards.

Or maybe, you know, you won't have to 'hope' that somebody sees your pin, because most people take semi-reasonable precautions. And if you're a victim of a targeted crime, with enough know-how or dedication a thief will always be able to get your cash.

Don't be so proud of the technological terror Apple have created. It's not as mindblowing if you've had a decade of chip and pin.

Comment

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Android has had this for years. Nothing to see here, move on.

:D ;)

On a more serious note, its nice to see this in action and hope it gets lots of other retailers on board. I am tempted to drive to McDs just to try it.

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Google wallet never had this push not even remotely close. Can't wait to hear the responses from all the android naysayers

"Apple Pay? Big whoop, Google Wallet came first." ;)

Add it to the list of things they didn't invent, like tablets, mp3 players and the mouse.

Secondly, let's see what Google announce at I/O 2015. I have a feeling Google Wallet might get mentioned.

Comment

jrsdead

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
You missed this one:

or the :apple:pay version
3) lifts your phone and cuts off your thumb before going on a spending spree.

Nah but seriously i cant wait for this to be available outside of america.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.