Matte or Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skibum12189, Jun 22, 2008.

1. skibum12189 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about saying screw waiting for the MBP update and ordering my MBP so i can get acquainted with it before college in the fall (PC user so far). I'll be living in a dorm room, but can any other college students on here lemme know what screen you suggest? Matte or Glossy? Thanks alot.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

I would suggest matte as you can see it in more places. I've had a glossy display before and it certain lighting situations it was pretty hard to see. I would suggest running a forum search by the way as this topic seems to be talked about at least 3 or 4 times a week. You can probably find a lot of insight from people.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Indeed do the search

Bottom line = personal preference

Both have their fans
    Both have their pros/cons

Go to the store, play with them both, choose the one YOU like

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

OP are you female? if so if get a glossy your be hard pushed to find a better mirror

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Matte because it doesnt get dirty like glossy...if you touch your screen you will see the marks. Glossy is also like a mirror in sun light, cant stand that. A matte is also much easier on your eyes.

6. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

7. Shabbis macrumors regular

I had matte on my old 12" powerbook and went glossy on my new 15" penryn MBP. I've been using glossy now for a couple months and haven't found the glare to be an issue yet. I did notice that the glossy on the MBP isn't nearly as glossy as many PC laptops. I personally find the glossy to be better for video, pictures and games.

It comes down to a personal decision. Just do what I did, drive down to an apple store and compare both side to side and go with what you like.

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have both, and I like them both. The matte is easier to use in varied light conditions, and matches my external. It also seems easier on the eyes. The glossy is so saturated and vibrant, and sometimes I love that. It all depends.

9. BMP1199 macrumors member

I finally found an Apple store that had both the matte and glossy on the MBP out on display. I think the glossy looks awesome. I'm not doing any professional design work so accurate color when I go to print isn't a big deal to me. I like to watch a lot of videos though and the glossy looks really nice. I think I'm going to get the glossy when I order and why would they be putting glossy on all the other laptops if it wasn't so great?

10. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

11. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

It's already that time of the week for the Matte vs. Glossy screen thread? :p

I have Matte on both of mine, glossy is too... shiny for me, I prefer the Matte, and it's much easier on my eyes I think.

12. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Funny how things work. I read a few of these posts prior to buying my 15" MBP. I followed the advice posted there, just like here saying that matte was the only way to go. Then I brought my computer to work and set it up next to two friends who bought glossy MBP's and immediately regretted getting a matte screen! There is on reason to buy a matte screen. Ive played with my friends computers in nearly every lighting environment and there werent any problems. The glossy screen is increadible. My next MBP WILL BE A GLOSSY SCREEN!

13. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

I think the new MBP is bright enough to not be a problem in the sun, outside. I take mine out on my hammock in AZ and i can see fine:)

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Matte is my preference; I know some people, just some who like glossy. Of the Macbook Pro users I know of 99% use matte.

15. aigo macrumors newbie

How can I confirm if it is a matte or glossy version? Can I find this info in system settings somewhere?

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you can't tell by looking at it, then you probably don't need to worry about it ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. aigo macrumors newbie

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Is there any concern about the glossy screens cracking if you close the screen too hard or anything?

I'm thinking of going with the glossy MBP because I'm used to it with my iMac, but I'm scared it has a possibility of breaking...

19. brodeur macrumors newbie

erm... sorry, but hahahaha. they aren't made of glass, if that's what you're asking. :rolleyes:

i've worked with both the glossy and matte screens... i don't really like the screen on the macbooks, and it's completely different from the glossy screens used for macbook pros, so don't use those as a comparison.

as for me... glossy is the only way to go. contrary to what everyone (mainly matte owners) seems to believe, the glossy is if anything more viewable than the matte in most lighting situations. my sister has a glossy-screened dell and it's a nightmare, but after working in all sorts of lighting situations with my glossy macbook pro i will say that reflections have never been a problem. no headaches, either... i daresay apple owners are some of the most dramatic computer owners there are. "ohhh, my 5-pound macbook pro is giving me back problems... ohhh my head is throbbing after using that nice, bright glossy screen... ohhh my screen looks vaguely yellow from behind..."

20. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm a matte guy but its all about preference. Look at both before placing your order.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm hoping the kind folks at the Apple Store will be able to tell you if you ask ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Well, in the Matte or Glossy wars, it comes down to this:

A) Personal Preference: You either like glossy or you like matte.

B) Professional Needs: Matte is generally better for photography and print work. The Glossy is better for games and videos.

And, here's something to think about:
    Does the Apple Cinema Display come in glossy? Nope.

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I like the glossy. The new displays are so bright and do have a coating to reduce glare. I can use my Air outside in full sun w. brightness at max without any problem. Only computer ever, matte or glossy that's done that.
    The MBP is a very good display w. either.

The MB on the other hand has a budget display and it shows in everyday usage. If you do a lot of graphics where color matching is paramount, perhaps a matte would be the choice.

If you would use your machine for multimedia and movies, the glossy is stunning and vibrant.

Good luck but I advise you go see both in person before deciding.

24. goatgotmac macrumors newbie

New glossy owner here... looks incredible. never going to be using it outside so not worried about glare.

but the desktop and especially movies look incredible.x