Matte v Glossy v Glassy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViciousShadow21, Mar 24, 2009.

?

Which do you Prefer

1. Glassy

98 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Glossy

46 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Matte

174 vote(s)
    54.7%
  1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

2. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

just so we're clear Glassy is the latest screen on the unibody macbooks and macbook pros.

3. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Still waiting on the 15" MatteBook Pro... any day now :apple:

5. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

congratulations dude. did you get the 2.4 or the 2.66 or even the 2.93

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations? :confused:

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Do I get congrats for waiting for it too? :(

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I owned the 15" unibody mbp and while its glassy screen was very clean and had that "pop" look, I still prefer matte.

Something about the matte just makes it look natural and usually I noticed with 07 and 08 mbp models (both led backlighting as well) that the matte is always a bit brighter as to the glossy/glassy and has this vibrant look to it.

Oh and I noticed that I can stare hours and hours on a matte screen without straining my eyes but the glossy after 30 minutes or a bit more, I always have to turn away from the screen for a few minutes and come back to it.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If a matte screen had been an option on the 15" model I would have that instead. I prefer to sacrifice the contrast and color of the glass screen for a glare-free matte one.

10. SecondDealer macrumors regular

I personally have the 15" MBP with the Matte screen, I chose to go matte because the way i look at it, if you're truly looking for an amazing picture and awesome quality you can invest in a nice tv or monitor, however matte is simply more practical for everyday use.

11. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what's wrong with what i said?:confused:

12. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

The "mattebook pro" hasnt been released yet

13. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i have the new macbook pro with the glossy screen, and while for the most part the glossy screen is fine i still prefer the matte screen and i would at least like a choice.

14. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

huh well dyslexia strikes again. i swear if it werent for spell checker i wouldnt spell anything right.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When I was deciding which screen to get, I looked at the two side by side. The colors on the matte were more realistic looking. I thought the glossy was pretty, but pretty is useless if it can't represent your colors accurately.

My $0.02.

16. fjk macrumors regular

They mean that the new 15" macbook pro with a matte screen isn't available at the moment, so he is still waiting for it to be released. As opposed to waiting for it to be delivered.

17. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

thanks for pointing it out again!! making me feel bad:mad: haha just kidding. yea i went back and read the post and got why everybody was like "what the hell are you talking about Vicious?!?!"

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i love my glossy glass display on my UMB :)

kills any computer i've used before, and yes i know. higher line MacBooks and MBP's are better. whatever. i'm in love with mine!!

19. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i'm with matte on this one. Colors look great on the glassy but after awhile working on one..i want to rip my eyeballs out of their socket.

20. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Finally people are acknowledging gloss vs glass.

Glass for me.

21. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i actually forgot about it when i first made this poll.:rolleyes: but yea there really is a huge difference between the glossy of the old laptops and the "glossy", now popularly called glassy, of the new uni's.

22. NickM macrumors 6502

glassy, glossy, shiny, bright, colorful, vivid, NICE !!:eek::eek::eek:

Reflections are NOT a problem! I don't shine a spotlight on my monitor!

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Matte. It is the only screen option I've ever been fully content with. Glossy is OK, although the reflections do get on my nerves frequently and if I matte option was available for the MacBook Air I would get it in a second. Using a Glassy screen for me is like trying to force a feral dog to jump into rapids and fall over a waterfall while balancing food on its nose. I've tried to use a glassy screen for an extended period of time, but it is an absolutely terrible experience each time...

24. NickM macrumors 6502

Try turning off the spotlight behind you.
    Seriously... all the complaints about reflections...it makes me wonder about the complainers' setups. Do you have a window behind you, letting the sun shine directly onto your monitor? Do you wear a miner's helmet with a headlamp?
    I have used mine in various ("normal") conditions... in my bedroom, in my kitchen (with lots of ambient inside and outside light coming in), at school under lots of fluorescent lighting, in the dark... I think it looks amazing under all conditions. Yes, I've used matte screens, projectors, CRT monitors, LCD monitors, plasma screens, etc.
    I'm sure the matte finish looks wonderful also, but I just can't understand all the hating on the glassy and glossy screens. Even when I actually DO see some reflections on my MBP's screen, they are usually not bad at all and I am able to "ignore" them with no effort. In fact, it's one of the most impressive looking monitors I've ever seen...especially for being on a laptop.

For anyone who is in the market and thinking about screen finishes, don't fear the glassy screen... at least go check it out for yourself... and keep in mind the environment you try it in.

25. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you think that I am always using my portable computer in a place where I can control the lighting conditions? If so, you are sadly mistaken, my MacBook Air goes with me almost everywhere so I use it in the sun, near windows, in darker rooms, etc. Yes, I do see reflections in the screen often, yes, it does bother me to a great extend because I am very distractible. I did say that the glossy screen was OK, but the matte screen handles those situations much better than the glossy screen and many times better than the glassy screen.

Perhaps you are much more forgiving about reflections than I am, but personally I can't stand them. I didn't pay multiple thousand dollars for a mirror.