Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Mavericks was terrible!! Downgraded to ML

I notice some people still ask whether they should upgrade to Mavericks.

I'd like to share my experience.

I have a late 2010 MacBook Pro, I7 2.66Ghz and 8GB Ram.

I upgraded to Mavericks (and went up all the way to the latest update) and it has been a terrible experience. To start, Mail App on Mavericks was a disaster with my Gmail accounts. Messages kept loading and loading, and I waited and waited. I couldn't uncheck save drafts on server, which caused a lot of drafts on my server.

On the OS level, things were stuttering all over, there were constant lags. Folders were very slow to open.

It got to the point where I started to doubt my hard drive, I thought maybe it was about to die. I moved all of my information to an external hard drive just in case.

I ran the tests on Disk Utility and everything was fine.

I had some time on my hands and decided why not downgrade to Mountain Lion. I did a clean install, updated, installed all my apps. Things could not have gotten any better! My hard drive feels brand new! EVERYTHING. Mail App is snappy and light, it's so much fun using my Mac once again!

Does anybody feel this with Mavericks?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Does anybody feel this with Mavericks?

I'd guess that the OP would agree with you, but the other responses here have been positive about Mavericks. Google's (apparently non-standard) implementation of IMAP has been problematic to say the least for Mavericks, but I use their POP server which has been fine as has been IMAP from other services. My Mail program connects to 10 accounts without difficulty. I don't use Messages.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Even though I haven't had the OP's issues, I do find Mavericks a combination of buggy and annoying.

First let me say that I never used Lion or Mountain lion because I preferred Snow Leopard's Spaces and Expose over Mission Control. I only have Mavericks since I upgraded my home computer to a New Mac Pro, but I plan to leave Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro. Mavericks' Multi-Display support mixed with Total Spaces makes up for Mission Control. Though I do miss being able to activate both Spaces and Expose simultaneously.

Bug with Mavericks:
1: If I launch Entourage directly from the Dock it automatically opens a new email, but If I do it from a stack in the Dock then it just goes to the main window. I know some of you will argue that Entourage is an old program, 2008, but it still indicates a bug in Mavericks. Launching from the Dock should be the same as launching from a stack.
2: iTunes sometimes opens with the main window open sometimes not. This seems to depend on how I closed iTunes last, and thus may be a result of Mavericks Resume feature.

Other annoyances:
Safari: The plus gadget beside the URL doesn't "Add Bookmark" anymore. It took me a bit to figure out what it was adding the site to the reading list which I don't use. So now if I want to "Add Bookmark" I have to use the Share gadget witch adds an extra click.
Safari: Not being able to double-click on the tabs bar to open a new tab.
Safari: Downloads not being in a separate window. With Mavericks Multi-Display support I have found it useful to keep progress windows on the second monitor. With the newer Safari, I can't separate the download window anymore like I could do in a SL version of Safari.

I'm sure I'll find other annoyances, but I've only had Mavericks for a little less than a month. Therefore, if any of you know how to fix anything above please let me know.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Most people don't remember the dark days of "Type 11" errors on System 7. :)
- Jay

LOL! ...7.5.2....those were the days! ;)

I too run Mavericks (10.9.2) on an unsupported mac pro 1,1. Rock-solid so far. I think the first iterations of OS X were problematic mostly due to aqua performance issues. Since then Apple has made *imo* an outstanding job at polishing the OS.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Bug with Mavericks:
1: If I launch Entourage directly from the Dock it automatically opens a new email, but If I do it from a stack in the Dock then it just goes to the main window. I know some of you will argue that Entourage is an old program, 2008, but it still indicates a bug in Mavericks. Launching from the Dock should be the same as launching from a stack.
Seems like a bug with Entourage if only Entourage does this.
2: iTunes sometimes opens with the main window open sometimes not. This seems to depend on how I closed iTunes last, and thus may be a result of Mavericks Resume feature.
Yes, it is remembering the previous state. Personally, I like this and I get annoyed by programs that don't do it (it's up to the implementor).

Safari: The plus gadget beside the URL doesn't "Add Bookmark" anymore. It took me a bit to figure out what it was adding the site to the reading list which I don't use. So now if I want to "Add Bookmark" I have to use the Share gadget witch adds an extra click.

Yes it does. Press and hold and it shows you all the places it can add the bookmark (the reading list is just the default), then release on your selection.

Safari: Not being able to double-click on the tabs bar to open a new tab.
Click on the "+" at the right end of the tabs bar, or type Command-T on the keyboard or right click on the tabs bar and select "new tab".
Safari: Downloads not being in a separate window. With Mavericks Multi-Display support I have found it useful to keep progress windows on the second monitor. With the newer Safari, I can't separate the download window anymore like I could do in a SL version of Safari.
I right click and select "Show in Finder". There is a small progress bar for downloading files and you at the right folder to do whatever with the file when the download completes.

Therefore, if any of you know how to fix anything above please let me know.

Not so much fixes but equivalents or alternatives.

Last edited:

Jivy26

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
This is my first experience with a Mac so when I saw system update I went ahead. At first Maverick was speedy, but a week later I am starting to have lag issues when screen first awakes it is taking me about 5 to 10 seconds before it registers my key strokes. Also I switched to chrome last night hoping it would resolve tab lag I am experiencing, but no luck. Anyone have any idea on how to fix these issues? I have a 2012 MBA by the way.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
This is my first experience with a Mac so when I saw system update I went ahead. At first Maverick was speedy, but a week later I am starting to have lag issues when screen first awakes it is taking me about 5 to 10 seconds before it registers my key strokes. Also I switched to chrome last night hoping it would resolve tab lag I am experiencing, but no luck. Anyone have any idea on how to fix these issues? I have a 2012 MBA by the way.

I believe this has to do with the way sleep works and some new EU regulations on power consumption Apple adopted worldwide. When you sleep the computer it saves the RAM to the SSD. After a period of time the system will completely shut down to save power. Then when you restart the RAM has to be completely reloaded. It saves the screen image but doesn't respond until loading is complete.

Jivy26

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
I believe this has to do with the way sleep works and some new EU regulations on power consumption Apple adopted worldwide. When you sleep the computer it saves the RAM to the SSD. After a period of time the system will completely shut down to save power. Then when you restart the RAM has to be completely reloaded. It saves the screen image but doesn't respond until loading is complete.

Yeah i noticed after a long break in use it does what you are saying but if I put it down for 5 minutes then pick it up login is responsive as normal. Any idea why I have the lag in tabs for safari and chrome when I try to open new tabs even browsing is sluggish.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Seems like a bug with Entourage if only Entourage does this.

Yes, it is remembering the previous state. Personally, I like this and I get annoyed by programs that don't do it (it's up to the implementor).

Yes it does. Press and hold and it shows you all the places it can add the bookmark (the reading list is just the default), then release on your selection.

Click on the "+" at the right end of the tabs bar, or type Command-T on the keyboard or right click on the tabs bar and select "new tab".

I right click and select "Show in Finder". There is a small progress bar for downloading files and you at the right folder to do whatever with the file when the download completes.

Not so much fixes but equivalents or alternatives.

Thanks, some of the alternative might be helpful.

I would still say that the problem with Entourage is a bug in Mavericks since it didn't do this in SL, and an app shouldn't have to be aware if it is being launched from the Dock and not from a stack. Thus, Mavericks is doing something different when it shouldn't.

I'll still miss double clicking to open a tab since it is easier than any of the options you stated. Also, it is standard at least in firefox, and I see no reason for it to be removed.

Thanks again.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yeah i noticed after a long break in use it does what you are saying but if I put it down for 5 minutes then pick it up login is responsive as normal. Any idea why I have the lag in tabs for safari and chrome when I try to open new tabs even browsing is sluggish.

That I don't know. How does the memory utilization look in Activity Monitor? Browsers now have one process for each tab (so that a crash on one site doesn't bring down the whole browser) but that means large memory usage if you have lots of tabs open.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks, some of the alternative might be helpful.

I would still say that the problem with Entourage is a bug in Mavericks since it didn't do this in SL, and an app shouldn't have to be aware if it is being launched from the Dock and not from a stack. Thus, Mavericks is doing something different when it shouldn't.

I'll still miss double clicking to open a tab since it is easier than any of the options you stated. Also, it is standard at least in firefox, and I see no reason for it to be removed.

Thanks again.

Have you checked for updates in Entourage? I believe it is under the Help menu. Run Microsoft Auto Update multiple times and start Entourage in between each update to rebuild any files necessary to identify what updates it needs.

Have you tried removing Entourage from the Dock and dragging it back in from /Applications?

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Have you checked for updates in Entourage? I believe it is under the Help menu. Run Microsoft Auto Update multiple times and start Entourage in between each update to rebuild any files necessary to identify what updates it needs.

Have you tried removing Entourage from the Dock and dragging it back in from /Applications?

All updated and removed & replaced. Still same behavior.

I have googled the problem, and I'm not the only one with it. No solutions yet.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
All updated and removed & replaced. Still same behavior.

I have googled the problem, and I'm not the only one with it. No solutions yet.

May seem like a work around but try right clicking on Entourage in /Applications and choosing "Create Alias". Then try dragging that to the Dock and launching it that way!

Report back on if it worked. Have you also turned off restore for apps in System Preferences. I believe it is under "General".

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
I read the following today in another thread on the forum:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1675938/

Take advice from me, someone who has worked on the development of Mavericks for the past months.

OS 10.9 is a very new, and "buggy" system currently. I wouldn't say it's your system, I'd say it's the software itself that is the problem.

Wait for a few updates and hopefully we'll get the major problems sorted out.

My advice - avoid Mavericks for 2-3 updates as best as possible. It's sad to say that having worked on it, but at least I'm honest about it.

I assure you, we'll have the kinks worked out soon. Until then, re-installing won't help much at a all.

I tried Mavericks, but it just didn't work out, so I restored Snow Leopard from a back up.

I only have 2MB of Ram, which is probably part of the problem. I'm puzzled why an OS which brags about better memory management now requires more memory than previous OSs, but whatever.

I really only want Mavericks for text dictation, so I'm going to reformat my drive in to partitions, and install Mavericks in to a small partition, and then use it only to explore and master voice control of the Mac and text dictation.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I read the following today in another thread on the forum:

I tried Mavericks, but it just didn't work out, so I restored Snow Leopard from a back up.

I only have 2MB of Ram, which is probably part of the problem. I'm puzzled why an OS which brags about better memory management now requires more memory than previous OSs, but whatever.

I really only want Mavericks for text dictation, so I'm going to reformat my drive in to partitions, and install Mavericks in to a small partition, and then use it only to explore and master voice control of the Mac and text dictation.

I know ML has Dictation too!

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
I came across this just today on the forum....

Take advice from me, someone who has worked on the development of Mavericks for the past months.

OS 10.9 is a very new, and "buggy" system currently. I wouldn't say it's your system, I'd say it's the software itself that is the problem.

Wait for a few updates and hopefully we'll get the major problems sorted out.

My advice - avoid Mavericks for 2-3 updates as best as possible. It's sad to say that having worked on it, but at least I'm honest about it.

I assure you, we'll have the kinks worked out soon. Until then, re-installing won't help much at a all.

This reads like an admission from someone inside of Apple that he's used to a routine of Apple releasing things with major problems.

Perhaps that's not what he really means, so I've provided the link so that members can inquire further if they wish.

We're Mac users, so we're supposed to be creative and clever and stuff, right? :)

Imho, it would be creative and clever to shift our focus from endlessly analyzing the zillions of Mac problems being experienced by individual users, to the source of so many of these problems, Apple.

If Apple has become comfortable with a routine of releasing things which aren't really ready, then the problems will go on forever, and we are spinning our wheels.

If Apple can be convinced to actually finish projects before they hand them over to us, perhaps a great percentage of the problems being discussed in these threads can be eliminated efficiently, at their source.

I would encourage members to have some confidence in their ability to effect the equation. Sure, Apple is a huge company, and we are just little nobodies etc.

But don't forget...

We fund Apple. We are Apple.

We are the source of everything Apple wants, just as they are for us. It's takes two to tango, and if we stop dancing, Apple is over. We have power too.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Why, oh WHY? Did all the people designing the OS in Apple get lobotomized? What in god's name has happened to this once excellent company?

This OS is so buggy that Mail and Safari -- kind of important for a computer, that "getting email" and "using the internet" stuff -- simply do not work. Safari hangs everytime I try to input text in a text input window (e.g., signing into a site). Mail does not retrieve Mail. One suggested solution is to delete your accounts and then re-add them. Great -- but Mail has inexplicably moved its Accounts listing out of the application and into Software Preferences where it hangs every time I try to access it.

There are so many problems with this OS (look at so many of the threads here; e.g., https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1668874/).

I mourn the loss of a once great company -- no company with any regard for its products would foist this buggy, useless piece of junk on its customers.

(And don't get me started on Siri. If it's in beta, don't release it to consumers. Make it work. Then release it. Common sense, right?)

What computer do you have? , me, my friends and my family have only had very positive experiences with Mavericks, Apple as a company is not improving, but it definentaly is not getting worse, We've seen some cool products, MBP retina, Mac Pro 2013 etcetera. You should probably try reinstalling or something, because if you are having problems with these basic things somethings wrong. And what does 10.9 have to do with siri? Siri works very great in iOS7 to me.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

Snow Leopard had a minimum requirement of 1GB of RAM. Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks have a minimum requirement of 2GB. Mavericks is more memory efficient than Mountain Lion or Lion. Snow Leopard would run as a 32-bit system while the later OSes are 64-bit and generally need more RAM.

----------

I came across this just today on the forum....

This reads like an admission from someone inside of Apple that he's used to a routine of Apple releasing things with major problems.

It's a general "rule" to avoid the .0 release of any software, not just Apples!

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
You should probably try reinstalling or something, because if you are having problems with these basic things somethings wrong.

Please see the post above where an Apple programmer who works on Mavericks reports that reinstalling won't help, and that the problem is not the fault of any particular user, but is Mavericks.

That is, Apple.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Snow Leopard had a minimum requirement of 1GB of RAM. Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks have a minimum requirement of 2GB. Mavericks is more memory efficient than Mountain Lion or Lion. Snow Leopard would run as a 32-bit system while the later OSes are 64-bit and generally need more RAM.

Thank you for this explanation. Ok, that tells me I shouldn't try installing Lion or Mountain Lion, appreciate it. The basic issue remains, what's in it for me?

It's a general "rule" to avoid the .0 release of any software, not just Apples!

Please allow me to respectfully decline any implication that the user is at fault if a vendor releases a product which it knows is still full of bugs.

This comment is not directed at you personally, but at Apple culture at large. We have to stop thinking like this. It's not smart, or in our interest. This mindset is the main reason tech companies do this kind of thing, because we go along with it, and take the blame upon ourselves.

Mavericks is free, so ok, we can't really complain and are getting what we paid for in this case.

The problem is that this "release it before it's ready" philosophy is a pattern which seems to apply to many products, most of which are not free.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Thank you for this explanation. Ok, that tells me I shouldn't try installing Lion or Mountain Lion, appreciate it. The basic issue remains, what's in it for me?

Perhaps nothing. Nobody has to get on the bandwagon when new versions come out. It's a decision you need to weigh -- what benefits of the new OS do you want and what will you lose? The sane (?) approach is to try it out booting it from an external drive, checking all your applications and then deciding.

The problem is that this "release it before it's ready" philosophy is a pattern which seems to apply to many products, most of which are not free.

Frankly, OS X as well as most all software products are complicated enough that one would have to wait forever for a "bug free" release. OSes have reached the point where fixing a bug inevitably causes another! It really becomes a decision about whether a new version is just "good enough" to release. Apple does Beta Test their software, but even if you have a few hundred beta testers plenty of bugs will get through to be caught by millions of customers.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
May seem like a work around but try right clicking on Entourage in /Applications and choosing "Create Alias". Then try dragging that to the Dock and launching it that way!

Report back on if it worked. Have you also turned off restore for apps in System Preferences. I believe it is under "General".

I've done both aliases and direct links. From the dock, same behavior.

The work around is to just use the one in the stack.

Thanks, for the ideas though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.