Mavericks pre-installed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard13, Nov 4, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

IIRC its been a couple weeks now so I figured I'd ask. Has anyone received their new iMac with Mavericks pre-installed?

2. sleek881 macrumors regular

sleek881

I got mine last week had to update to Mavericks straight away.

3. forceroyale macrumors newbie

Mine came today with a build week of #44, no mavericks

4. bartonjm macrumors member

We received ours late Saturday and mavericks was not pre-installed.

5. aham23 macrumors regular

same for me.

6. lowdownshame macrumors newbie

received mine 11/1/2013, with ML. did clean install of mavericks in less than an hour

7. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I phoned apple after the 10.9 keynote and they said from that point all macs will shop with mavericks as the iMac page was advertised with it.

8. r0bt macrumors newbie

Mine arrived 01.11.13 still with Mountain Lion. Bit of a bummer since I delayed my purchase to try and ensure that the unit shipped with Mavericks. Hey ho...

9. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh man… what a bummer. I would have thought at least a few people would have gotten Mavericks pre-installed. I've been waiting for just that but I don't know if I can wait much longer. :(

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Honestly, I'd wait a month, or I'd custom configure it on the Apple online store as they tend to make those as you order them. Actually, I'd do that anyway if it's a 21.5" iMac (as you can't get that thing to 16GB of RAM any other [Apple-sanctioned] way and I'd much rather rock a fusion drive or an SSD in that thing than just a 5400-RPM 1TB drive. If it's a 27" iMac, customizing might not be bad either way, but simply doing stock models, at least for the next month, will likely get you Mountain Lion pre-loaded rather than Mavericks.

11. bartonjm macrumors member

The funny thing is the sales associate stated my 27 inch would probably have mavericks because it was Cto. Nope....still arrived with ML. Seems to be running fine though with the mavericks install.

12. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Yeah, this makes sense too, sadly.

To the OP, honestly, I'd wait a month or so; by then, for preexisting Mac models, odds of Mavericks coming preloaded will be substantially higher.

----------

I'd hold out. You don't have all that much longer to wait, plus it's much nicer to have your Mac just HAVE the newest OS than to bother with wiping/reformatting or even doing a straight upgrade, even if Mavericks is, as they claim, the smoothest upgrade installation yet.

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Question for those who just got theirs with mavericks. Is the box a picture with mountain lion or mavericks?

This may be unimportant to some, but I think it'll add to the resale value later down the road.

I ordered mine today with a delivery date of the 8-12.

14. TwoBytes, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Mavericks pre-installed?

This is a good point. I waited for Mavericks to come out before I ordered a top spec custom iMac. It might be a bit silly but if the resale value is affected because of the box (which some buyers are fussy about) then what would you do if the box had a 10.8 pic? Would Apple send you a brand new box? What's even more disappointing as I confirm that Apple that it would have Mavericks pre-installed before I bought the mac

15. ynot1 macrumors newbie

ynot1

received mine 11/2/2013, with ML I just installed Maverick using the Apple Store. Is this not the same as a clean install?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Technically, no... a "clean install" is when you erase the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. The idea is to get rid of any old files and clutter that may have been on the machine. Given you have a brand new machine, I certainly would not mess with trying to do a clean install and would just leave it be.

17. randomdude84 macrumors newbie

just picked up my imac 27" yesterday from the mac store. i ordered it a week and a half ago. it was not installed with Mavericks, i thout it was supposed to be? am i missing something here? i feel like calling and saying something.

18. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

I believe that the iMacs manufactured on or after October 22 will come preinstalled with Mavericks. The ones with Mountain Lion are remaining stock before that date. There is still a large amount of this remaining stock. So I wouldn't expect to see it preinstalled for awhile.

19. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Does it matter? It's free to install and fairly painless, especially on a brand new machine with nothing yet installed on it.

20. randomdude84 macrumors newbie

no, doesnt really matter but when they advertise that it comes installed its a little annoying.

21. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

22. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Another thought, internet recovery on machines bought with 10.8 will default to 10.8 which is a bummer. Time for a complaint. Apple told me over the phone it would ship with 10.9 and they lied. I customised the top spec mac after waiting for 10.9 to come out only to get old stock.

23. Bear macrumors G3

It it was CTO, it wasn't old stock.

24. TwoBytes, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

My point is, old enough for 10.8 and it wasn't what I ordered. For some, this is a lot of money to spent and to not get what you paid for feels a little crappy when you've been putting away money every month for a few years and waiting it out until 10.9 came along :(

25. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I just ordered mine yesterday and it says it's coming November 8-12. It better come with a Mavericks box or I'll be complaining for sure. It's not even what it comes pre-installed with that bothers me, it's what's on the outside of the box that matters.

Some people may find it a little absurd, but I know when trying to resell it in four years, potential buyers may be turned off by the ML box, which had its OS released over a year ago.