May I ask, why do people keep make comments that 4/4.5 screen is LARGE? Its the same.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You realize its like the same overall size in your pocket and hand right?

It would help with sustained reading of web and book text because thats definitely a limitation of such a small area. It would improve most aspects.

The tradeoff is well worth a minuscule size increase.

The exaggerations are always so intense and over the top when the difference will be insignificant and the benefits so dynamite.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's not so much 'big' screen wise as it is on the battery life. Although I'm tempted to buy a phone with a 5.3inch screen so naturally I'm supportive of big screens.

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What is the same size in ur hand? A 4" and a 4.5"? That makes no sense. It all as to do with how the phone is designed. My wife has a Dinc2 that has a 4" screen, and the overall size of the phone is just about the same as my iP4. But if u compare either to a 4.5" Droid, they look tiny.

Yes, you can have a 4" screen in a form factor that closely resembles the size of an iP4. But 4.5" will be much larger.

I'm pumped for a 4" screen...and I won't be too thrilled with 4.5". it's no where near the same....Just sayin'

4. DJinTX macrumors 6502

If you honestly want an explanation, then I will try to help. You call this potential increase in size "minuscule", but let me give you two things to think about...

1. Except for Apple, no one knows what the eventual size will be, so in the end it could seem like a minuscule increase, and it could seem much more than this.

2. What is minuscule to you is not necessarily minuscule to me, or anyone else for that matter.

If you want and prefer a size increase, that's great and I certainly am not interested in persuading you otherwise. Personally, I would prefer the same size handset, but could be okay with a very small overall increase. I won't know if it is too big until i see and hold it myself, so only time will tell for me.

Just be aware that everyone has their own opinions on this and different perceptions and needs. I don't think you are going to end up understanding our thinking on this. We all agree that a larger screen is more usable, but if this means that the handset gets bigger, then a lot of people (including me), do not want this.

5. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Having owned a Droid X before, I can attest that every time I checked my battery usage, the screen was nearly always 1/2 of the battery usage. I love more screen real estate as much as the next guy, but my portable device needs one thing more than anything else, and that's battery life. Otherwise, it's not very portable, is it?

6. Trav29 macrumors member

My Droid X is showing 57% and its on the lowest brightness. Which is why I don't care for larger screens unless the battery can handle it.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You need to remeber the iPhone is a 16:10 format screen compared to Android 16:9 format.

Over all I think 4.5 is a little on the large size. 4in is great and 4.3 can work pretty well.
    Samsung seem to of gotten pretty good with its 4.3-4.5 in phones but those things are pretty much all screen and they are very thin and that thinness makes up for it and makes it a lot smaller.

8. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Look at the phone, its so beautiful

[​IMG]

Thats not bad at all

9. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Um, that's a 3.5-inch display, yes.

10. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Oh the irony...

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's not a real iPhone, so technically, it's as large as you want it to be.

12. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok you know how some people get into a habit of something?

And then if change happens, they don't like it?

You understand that notion right?

Thats what I suspect may be happening and this is a reasonable assumption because it is a generally common human phenomenon.

At a certain point (or age even, no age-ism) we may make certain choices that are "inspired" by something and the way we form those thoughts can sometimes be "influenced" by certain hidden agendas in our conscious and sub-concious minds.

We are all simply the totality of our socially transmitted behavior patterns, morals, ideas, arts, beliefs, and all other products of human work and thought.

You say we are all balanced and equal and nobody's opinion is more valid than the other, but I say that is not reality. Humans are complex, volatile bipedal organs that support a brain, and this brain function is not always flawless, logical, or perfect.

What drives a man to think that the current body style is so perfect that they don't want a larger body style? Small hands? Pocket Space? If you can comfortably hold an IP4 you will similarly be able to grip the IP5, the difference between the two can't possibly change any logistical positioning in any significant way. The size difference is too small.

The question is WHY? Why, really, don't you want it bigger? The answer lies in your psychological profile, not in the merit of the logic behind ergonomics and the physical manifestation and consequences of your ownership experience.

Finally, those personal quirks of choice and decision making/inspecting of the wares may reflect your own method of choosing whats right, maybe its how your family taught you to be when you asses goods, or maybe its your own personal thought process; but they don't affect mass or public notions.

Most people want a bigger screen. The iPhone 1 started with 3.5 and that was a long time ago. Other companies have explored the different sizes now that larger sizes are possible and the 3.5 is not necessarily the sweet spot. It just was.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and you know this from fact? You have an iPhone 5 and have run the needed tests?

As others have said, while a quarter inch may not seem like much or be that big a difference to you, it very easily could be to others.

Increasing the surface area will make the phone just a touch bigger. If you were able to comfortably reach the 'P' key while typing with one hand, you may need to stretch. If your pocket fit it comfortably, now it may be snug.

Now, throw on a cover to the already larger phone and some may not be able to reach to type single handed and it may not fit in some pockets.

Or maybe some people simply don't want to hold something the size of their face up against their head to talk. Many of the current phones available remind me of the boom boxes of the 80's.

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The size of my face?
    That reminds me of when people say they "don't want to hold an iPad" to their head, or how they'd be "holding a brick", or they say I should "just buy an iPad"

Definitely an exaggeration. But, even with that said, I do see reasons why people would want small screens. I think that the only logical solution for manufactures is to make 2 phone sizes. Small and big. Not in-between. In-between sizes like 4" isn't usually big enough for big-phone people, and small phone people don't seem to like the idea of it.

Personally, I've owned every screen size you can think of. 3.5", 3.7", 4", 4.3", 4.5" And I honestly can't STAND small screens. I'd consider anything 4" and below small. I really really want a bigger iPhone, but I know that not everyone will. If Apple made 2 sizes I'd be very pleased, and I know everyone else would too. Best of both worlds

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Does not matter what the iPhone turns out to be as some will hate at first but most will love it no matter what. Apple will do what it does best and give us a good piece of hardware whole pleasing the most people. The one who do not like it will just take another dose of koolaid and they will fall into the fold.:p

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think you must have skipped math class or something.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im on the mobile version so I can't select the portion of text I wanted to quote.

Anyway, all this verbiage and not an ounce of sense. Your commenting on something as fact that you have no clue even exists. How can that be?

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the 3.5" screen and make the phone smaller overall than the IP4: I have no problems at all seeing or navigating on the current screen size so really don't see the benefit of a larger screen (particularly if the resolution stays the same)

19. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The screen is a huge power draw compared to the rest of the device.

20. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

With the right power management, a larger screen would not be a problem for Apple. Different screen technologies, OS all equate to a better power management profile. No need to equate a larger screen with low battery. Apple simply would not allow that. A larger screen is most likely to happen on the iPhone 5.

Yet another case leak.

http://www.cultofmac.com/114686/ano...ng-rumors-of-a-thinner-larger-tapered-device/

21. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

In this order, hold an iPhone 4(3.5"), a Samsung Captivate(4"), and a Samsung Infuse 4G(4.5") all next to each other.

Now tell me that the differences are miniscual.

22. bulldoze macrumors regular

I am ready for a larger iPhone screen, maybe a 4" so long as the physical size of the phone does not increase by more than a 1-2 mm AND so long as the battery life does not decrease.

I think the market is ready for slightly bigger phones now that people are getting used to smart phones and their added size and functionality.

the iPhone is useable as a reading device and a browser but that extra half inch of real estate would make it so much easier to use - especially for us older people!

23. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

That's the updated mockup with a smaller screen. Looks horrible.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Indeed! ;)

----------

I scanned through this whole thread trying to figure out the point, and once you remove all the word salad, it's basically "I want a larger screen, so therefore so should all of you."

No. And I don't have to tell you why.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I hope it looks like that