Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
With my modern gear still up in Dublin and my MBP and Logic Pro X not much good without it I'm still stuck with just the G5 Quad and Logic Pro 9. And my beautiful Yamaha CVP-501 of course.

Anyone hear play GTA 5 and you'll know the radio station FlyLoFM. I've always wanted to make a track that would fit in on that station. It's very new age electronic IDM inspired *****. Well it turns out all you need to make edgy 2016 music is a Mac from late 2005! All stock plugins too.

Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. Dancy little number. And it's always more fun to bob your head to when you know it's PPC authentic :cool: (artwork in CS2, upload in TFF)

https://soundcloud.com/snoviet/killing-spree?fb_action_ids=1099072710139418&fb_action_types=soundcloud:publish

Last edited:

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Very nice! Audio production was one of the areas these machines seemed to shine. Mac has been great for low latency audio going back a long time. Core audio, core midi, practically every device is plug and play.

You should head over to the Macbook subforum. I have been arguing with people in a thread that are convinced that this one guy couldn't possibly run ableton on a 2016 retina macbook and that he really needs a brand new 15" with all of the upgrades. I learned audio recording on a dual G5 with 2GB of ram. That thing ran Logic, Protools, and Ardour over two digi002 racks and a 16 input mackie mixer. It was still running when I left school in 2011.

Reactions: tevion5

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been arguing with people in a thread that are convinced that this one guy couldn't possibly run ableton on a 2016 retina macbook and that he really needs a brand new 15" with all of the upgrades.
How on Earth did people manage to make music before 2016 Macs were around.....those poor musicians in the 90s with their Ataris and 68K Macs......

Reactions: Slix

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Ain't that a nice sight.

It's great fun pretending to a be a rich producer from 2005.

13493230_1100919539954735_438116267_o.jpg

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
This is what I am saying. I think they're all convinced that all music was recorded to analog tape until 3 years ago.
I'm actually investing into an 808 type machine and a reel to reel recorder to mess with basic analoug audio production. I find if I learn something, I like to learn the analoug way first. Sometimes I even start to like it more than digital methods. Like film photography. When drug store digital cameras shoot in 640x480, the 35mm disposables can be scanned into any high resolution you'd like.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I'm actually investing into an 808 type machine and a reel to reel recorder to mess with basic analoug audio production. I find if I learn something, I like to learn the analoug way first. Sometimes I even start to like it more than digital methods. Like film photography. When drug store digital cameras shoot in 640x480, the 35mm disposables can be scanned into any high resolution you'd like.
The first music technology course I took, we spent the first half of the semester doing everything on analog tape and bouncing to DAT tapes so that we could focus on the recording theory before learning software. When it came time to use the computer, everything was so much easier than it would have been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.