Maybe this will help our Transatlantic Cousins

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superman80, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Superman80, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

Superman80 macrumors regular

Hi All,

Newbie here, but have been a long time reader, ive noticed that in the USA you have to pay stupid money to have your Iphone unlocked, well here in the UK some operators offer it free, Im on Orange UK and was told by them that it will cost £20 to have it unlocked by them, i then heard that vodafone UK offer the service free, so i thought i would try my luck using this web form

http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/UnlockCodeRequestForm/

and low and behold i just had this back from them!

Dear Customer,

Reference Number: *******
    Mobile Number: ************
    IMEI Number: ***************

The iPhone has now been unlocked – Please replace the SIM (use a SIM which has
    never been used with this iPhone) and connect to iTunes or perform a software
    restore via iTunes.

Yours Sincerely
    Aruna Verma
    NUC Resolutions

Im not saying this will def work but could be worth a try, ive never had any dealings with vodafone and they still unlocked my Iphone 4

Hope it helps someone

EDIT i put my normal mobile number in (orange contract) and the phone choice i picked vodafone phones (towards the bottom of the list)

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

3. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

No, not got another sim to try it with yet im waiting for it to be delivered

4. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing. What did you enter as your mobile number on their form? Did you give them your Orange mobile number or do you have another Vodafone contract or Vodafone PAYG sim?

I am now living overseas but my brother in the UK has just taken out a contract with Vodafone for a Nokia N8. Maybe I can use his mobile number and name but my IMEI - just an idea :)

5. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry should have said on post 1, i put my normal mobile number in (orange contract) and the phone choice i picked vodafone phones (towards the bottom of the list)

All they will be interested in is the IMEI number so if it doesnt recognise an american number just try anything in this format 07*** *** ***

6. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I've given it a go. How long until you heard back? I'm not counting on it working and I don't even need an unlock... but it would be nice for resale value!

7. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

I requested it yesterday around this time and just heard back about 15 mins ago, i got an email acknowledgment saying:

Thank you for your mail regarding your Network Unlocking Code. We will endeavour
    to respond to you within our 48hr Service Level.
    Escalations regarding previous queries will always be given a higher priority
    and resolved at the earliest opportunity.

then got the email i posted in post 1 just now

8. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Cool. I just got the first email. I'll report back if I get another. I'm with Three and they charge £15 (which I know is relatively inexpensive) to unlock.

9. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Just submitted form with my brother's UK Vodafone contract number :) He's cool about it! We will see what happens.

10. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I just got the following email.

11. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked my emails and i got this to but for some reason it went to junk, looks like your on the way to having an unlocked iphone 4!

12. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Hopefully so! Thank you for posting this.

I'll have to have a look at home to see if I can find a sim from another network to cut up and try when/if I get an unlock confirmation email.

Suppose this could come in handy for when I'm in the USA this summer. I don't suppose any one knows which (if any) network will let me get a pre-pay sim to use in and around Baltimore, MD, for data and calls?

13. leanne.. macrumors member

For good prepaid rates and data, use Tmobile.... can't beat their 1.99/day unlimited data while traveling.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Assuming that Vodafone follows all of the correct procedures, they shouldn't unlock a phone that isn't locked to their network.

15. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I think we're all aware of this. Could be they are simply taking people's word for it and not actually checking if they are Vodafone customers.

16. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Till AT&T "fixes" that after the purchase is finalized. Or is this the non-USA t-mobile?

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

On that vodaphone site there is no apple or iphone under the select phone make dropdown?

18. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

Chose Vodafone phone towards the bottom of the list!

It has def worked for me!

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

19. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

That's great! :D

20. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Very interesting.

Has anyone in the States tried this yet?

21. Psood21 macrumors member

I just tried it. lets see if it works...excited :)

22. diamondschwin macrumors member

I tried it earlier, got the first email within ten minutes. Let's see if the unlock goes through. I'm on AT&T in the us

23. tmash macrumors newbie

What did you put in under mobile number? When I try it, it keeps saying that I need to enter a valid mobile number.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Let us know if it works, I'd love to be able to use this with the 3G I'm getting instead of jailbreaking and unlocking.

25. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

This would be huge if it works!!! i'd be jumping on this bandwaggon.