Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Hi all, I am in the market for a new computer for college. I am going to be studying overseas and will be traveling a fair bit so I definitely don't want to be sporting a 15 inch MBP. I am going to be studying sciences and will need the computer for essays, excel sheets, email, Netlfix, and youtube. I will also need a good screen to load images from wells from labs I do. Given these standards, I gravitate towards the 12 MB (portability, great screen, and good for basic computing needs), but the catch is that I'm also a musician. I use Logic pretty often, though during the school year, my use of the program dies down considerably (from maybe 30% of my computer use to 10% of my computer use.) With this said, what computer do you think is best for me? I want to make a long time investment, I don't want to be buying a new computer in two years. My current computer is a:

mid2013 Macbook Air 13", 128gb ssd, 8gb memory, and intel dual core i7

I currently run Logic OK. I've had problems where the program crashes and AU units and plug ins are not the best.

I am looking for a new computer because I don't want to go to school and have my 4 year old computer die on me and for me have to pay through the bum over seas where the cost of a macbook is MUCH higher than over here in the US.

With all of this above, what computer is best for me for a four-five year investment? I am looking for the most cost effective, so I am truly trying to spend less than $1400-$1500 TOPS. I don't think I'll be needing something like 16gb memory and some quad core i7 but I want input from people who have practice with these devises. Your input is greatly appreciated!

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Your MacBook Air is a capable machine. My upgrade suggestion would tip toward a MacBook Pro simply because the USB-C ports are also Thunderbolt 3. This isn't true for the MacBook.

If you're planning to keep the machine working for the next four or five years, I think you ought to future-proof where you can. USB-C will certainly be ubiquitous by then, and my best guess is that Thunderbolt 3 will be required to connect your laptop to a decent display.

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Your MacBook Air is a capable machine. My upgrade suggestion would tip toward a MacBook Pro simply because the USB-C ports are also Thunderbolt 3. This isn't true for the MacBook.

If you're planning to keep the machine working for the next four or five years, I think you ought to future-proof where you can. USB-C will certainly be ubiquitous by then, and my best guess is that Thunderbolt 3 will be required to connect your laptop to a decent display.
You're right, my macbook air was a very capable machine, but unfortunately as of late, it's been spotty on me, and god forbid anything happen while over seas, it's at least 1600 euro (1800$usd) for a baseline macbook or macbook pro and thats some $400-$500 I can save now by reselling my macbook air for $500 to someone who needs it for a year or so before it konks out.

In regards to needing to hook the computer up to a good display, you're right. I will have dongles for sure which will allow me to hook the computer up to a display via hdmi so I'm not worried about the amount of USB-C ports, but I haven't had experience with that yet so maybe you could give me input. Is only one port enough? or is two the bare minimum I'll need?

I'm also trying to get the most for my money here too. Do you think that getting a MB with 256gb ssd, 8gb ram, and m3 is enough or should i bump to an i5? or would it be smarter to do m3 and 16gb memory? or should I just get a baseline MBP and bump to the 256gb storage option?
[doublepost=1502475622][/doublepost]
Hi all, I am in the market for a new computer for college. I am going to be studying overseas and will be traveling a fair bit so I definitely don't want to be sporting a 15 inch MBP. I am going to be studying sciences and will need the computer for essays, excel sheets, email, Netlfix, and youtube. I will also need a good screen to load images from wells from labs I do. Given these standards, I gravitate towards the 12 MB (portability, great screen, and good for basic computing needs), but the catch is that I'm also a musician. I use Logic pretty often, though during the school year, my use of the program dies down considerably (from maybe 30% of my computer use to 10% of my computer use.) With this said, what computer do you think is best for me? I want to make a long time investment, I don't want to be buying a new computer in two years. My current computer is a:

mid2013 Macbook Air 13", 128gb ssd, 8gb memory, and intel dual core i7

I currently run Logic OK. I've had problems where the program crashes and AU units and plug ins are not the best.

I am looking for a new computer because I don't want to go to school and have my 4 year old computer die on me and for me have to pay through the bum over seas where the cost of a macbook is MUCH higher than over here in the US.

With all of this above, what computer is best for me for a four-five year investment? I am looking for the most cost effective, so I am truly trying to spend less than $1400-$1500 TOPS. I don't think I'll be needing something like 16gb memory and some quad core i7 but I want input from people who have practice with these devises. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Also forgot to add, I LOVE to play skyrim on my current computer so toss that into the mix too! I play on low settings and things work just fine (though I have noticed a slow fps lately... maybe because my computer is dying on me?)

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
I'd buy the base MBP (I had the 2.0GHz non-touchbar, which was solid but not fast enough for my needs) and go the 256GB route.
Is it worth saving my money and buying the 2016 version instead of the 2017 version?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
The speed increases I've seen in online reviews and geekbench tell me that buying last year's model is a false economy. That's for me; I live and die for processor speed especially in a 13 inch laptop. For most people, the discounted 2016 models would be a good choice.

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
The speed increases I've seen in online reviews and geekbench tell me that buying last year's model is a false economy. That's for me; I live and die for processor speed especially in a 13 inch laptop. For most people, the discounted 2016 models would be a good choice.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with a 2016 i5, 256gb, and 8gb ram.

Reactions: Elcompa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.