MBP 13" or MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecman129, Oct 10, 2009.

1. thecman129 macrumors newbie

Ok I am looking to buy a mbp but i dont know which one to get. Im looking at the 1,699.00 15" and the 1,499.00 13" Is there any difference between the two other than size and price? please and thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. thecman129 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks. will both be able to play games like sims 3 or spore?

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I think the 15" has a headphone out and microphone/line in jack, but the 13" has only one that does both. From the tech specs, it sounds like the 13" does not have optical (digital) audio in.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. Maybe not at the highest settings but yes, both will play those fine as they have exactly same components excluding logic board

6. thecman129 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you! ill probably be getting the 13"

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

MBP 15" has more speakers than the 13" too. And there are NO speaker grills on the 13", so the sound won't come out as strong regardless.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Difference between those two are the screen sizes.

9. Mhmm macrumors member

The only thing I gather from your signature is that you must be very very dense. Not only is that claim completely lacking of any common sense, but the sheer fact that you think that 2in bigger make a world of difference and you opted for the 15" over the 17" sheds light to how mind-numbingly stupid you are.

So, on topic, OP. The computers are the basically the same. My advice would be to buy the one that better fits your needs of portability. Do you, like me, carry around your laptop everyday to a variety of different places (i.e. between classes at uni and to and from my apartment) or do you move it to only a couple places throughout the day.

Both will probably do, but the 13" is very comfortable to lug around.

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

17" is too chunky and clumsy to lug around. IMHO

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree- what portability do you need- where do you use it-

I just made this choice and went with the 15" as those 2" do make quite a bit of difference (although not as much with window mgmt things such as Expose, etc)

Pros to the 15 are bigger screen, better speakers, and better for me to use on my lap- I like the little bit wider laptop.

pros to the 13 is lighter weight, easier portability

I chose the 15 because I don't carry it out of the house very often- mostly use it while on the couch or kitchen table. I would say if you are carrying it often you will want to think about where and what places you will be setting it to be used, etc.

I do find the 15" to be slightly unweildy at times picking it up and moving it around. It is still highly portable, but if you have the chance to pick one up, handle it, see it in person you will see what I am talking about- both pros and cons. It is a fantastic computer! I work on a 13 macbook white and have the 15 alum. at home and love both.

my question to the forum- isn't the batter life longer on the 15 even with a larger screen to power???

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

the 2" is a world of difference in some situations....although when surfing web pages it doesn't make much of a difference with most pages. However, you can definitely see more text on word or email docs, it is nice to have the itunes mini-controller open all the time and on the side or to put two docs side by side to compare or move text, pics, etc. The 17 is way too cumbersome for my uses and most everyones uses- along with the fact the cost is prohibitive for most.

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Thank you. :cool:

14. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Its good to see that after so many months of practise your spiel is now this succinct.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go with the 13", same performance, more portable. Great computer.

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Sorry, but the 13" has stereo (2 speakers) also. They don't have separate grills to take up space on the sides, but I had a 15" MBP returned it for a 13"MBP a week later and don't hear much difference in sound. The previous macbook 13" only had one speaker- but this generation has two :)!

17. Greenman85 macrumors regular

18. Mhmm macrumors member

Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and think that you're not like shambo, who is unable to have a rational conversation regarding the 13" MBP.

Maybe you can explain to me how common sense dictates that choosing a 15" is future-proofing your "investment"? And how can shambo's comment about the 17" being to "chunky and clumsy" (heh, probably the worst description anyone could ever come up with for a current Mac) not be applied when comparing the 15 to the 13? Wouldn't it be smarter to choose a computer based on your needs, like I described, as opposed to choosing because it has 2" more of screen, like shambo suggests?

19. Deppe macrumors member

Well I must admit that reading shambo's way of arguing here on MR, the word "stupid" has also crossed my mind a couple of times!

Common sense eh? Some would say that it would be common sense to choose computer from your needs, don't you think? Some might say, using their common sense, that if you only need a 13" then it would be rather stupid to pay for a 15"!

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I believe Shambo said IMHO so it is just an opinion-

Me, I do like to engage rationally in conversation and ask the OP what they are using it for, where, and how? That is the most important part of any decision when buying something.

I admit chunky and clumsy isn't the best word choice, but they are huge- and just because one says 2" is better doesn't mean 4 is best!

OP- please post how you are using the computer, where and how?

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't know Shambo's comments on MR as a whole- I simply stated my own and agreed that the 15" is best in my situation as I detailed in my post, but if you read my posts I actually do ask the OP more than once(and do so in most of my posts on MR) how they are using it, why and where.(that is my sales background coming out) That is common sense- finding out how someone uses a product so they can best match their needs to the product.

my exact words were "I agree- what portability do you need- where do you use it-"

22. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Generally I'd really have a problem with you calling someone stupid on this forum. However seeing who it's directed at (given his constant trolling about the 13 here), I'll let it go. :D

23. Deppe macrumors member

Sorry, I thought that you meant that you agreed to his comments as a whole, regarding the 13" vs 15"! I believe he has made a couple of threads about it!

24. polaris20 macrumors 68020

He spreads his BS all over the forums daily. He's a troll. Somehow he thinks a 15" MBP is going to be better no matter what than a 13". That's clearly not always the case, when my 13" uMBP is faster with more RAM capacity while being smaller and lighter than my 15" uMBP. But hey, the screen is 2" bigger :rolleyes:

He's probably impressed with big shiny car rims too, or anything with an abundance of blinky lights.