Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thunderbolt? Is Apple taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book by creating great code names, but stepdad-lame final names?

Does the single monitor combo port mean we need to shell out extra $$$ on a Light Peak hub, uh, sorry "Thunder Pad" to get more ports, or will it daisy chain?

Hmm. :(
That is what I wondered as well. Not so much about the Nintendo reference, but about the hub or Thunder Hub, which is a $10 hub with a $50 price tag because Apple named it. :rolleyes:
Hi, one of the F5-per-minute guys here.

I'm the only one thinking this is just ****????!?!?!?!? I sold my MBP 2010 last month just to get the spanking new and WORST one????

I'm going to commit Appleicides.
Well, no one really said you had to sell your machine. What was your current, or now sold, machine incapable of doing? I for one lost that desire to gamble on the next product long ago. It did not take long for me to realize that the grass isn't always greener just because Jobs is out on stage. I like the new MBP if I needed it now, I would not sell my previous gen (if I had one) for this one. Lightpeak, Thunderbolt ... whatever, is just not enough.

As for GPU, it sure sounds worlds better on paper ... I doubt that it is. It looks like the MBP 13" is the bastard child of the MBP line.

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
What was wrong with the name LightPeak? Sounds better than Thunderbolt... And since Apple seems to be the first to use it, they set the standard for the shape of that plug? Apple and standards don't fit well. Will be interesting to see what Intel will say on thursday.

Because Lightpeak is supposed to be an optical connection. The technology has not got there yet, so this uses copper. 'Lightpeak' would be misleading in it's current form

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
http://www.mac4ever.com/images/images_actu/60807_37_la_photo_du_nouveau_port_thunderbolt.png

Interesting that the official Intel Core i5 logo is used on the packaging. Apple has always used their own logos.

specs_intel20090608.png
specs_intel_i5_20110119.jpg
specs_intel_i7_20110119.jpg

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
Be careful with SSD's speculations. I think that uncle Steve is going to avoid us from replacing the hard drive by some kind of trick.

Is there any reason to actually believe this, aside from idle speculation? Just curious if I missed something - as the HDD has always been a user-replaceable part.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Mac Generation still seems to believe the (16gb/32gb) SSD for the OS is there but purposely invisible from the specs as it is some kind of hybrid solution allowing only one volume to appear, i really hope they are correct as no SSD at all would make the MBP slower in responsiveness than a MBA ..

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Because Lightpeak is supposed to be an optical connection. The technology has not got there yet, so this uses copper. 'Lightpeak' would be misleading in it's current form

I know about that. Still doesn't really justify a renaming, imo. Normal user doesn't care about copper or fiber. I just wonder what this signals to other manufacturers. Are they all free to use whatever name they want for "LightPeak", and whatever port shape they want? It doesn't make sense. So again, will be interesting to see what Intel says on thursday.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
btw is it me or is this the rumored bigger trackpad??

60807_37_la_photo_du_nouveau_port_thunderbolt.png

Last edited:

Camps23

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
So no design change ? Im happy the 13 is getting i5 but don't know anything about that GPU ? Good ? Bad?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
The gpu is really disappointing. If this is true i will probably buy the 2010 model off ebay for a discounted price.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
can anybody explain to me the color differences dividing the magsafe port in the leaked side profile photo?

AppHolder

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
?

This is BS....where is the new design. This design is like 5 yrs old by now. I have had enough of this Apple hype over BS things like this. I wanted new design with Liquid Metal. Everything is going bad since good ol' Steve has gone sick leave. Come back please.

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
This is BS....where is the new design. This design is like 5 yrs old by now. I have had enough of this Apple hype over BS things like this. I wanted new design with Liquid Metal. Everything is going bad since good ol' Steve has gone sick leave. Come back please.

Look, the only hype over liquidmedal is caused by rumors by people here on the forums - it's not like Apple said to expect a design change. So blame yourself for getting hyped up over something that was pure speculation.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Guys, just chillax a little bit.
This is not like WWDC where Apple is expected to release a major change in design&new features. This is just an update. No events, etc.
If you want the "new cool design with satisfactory specs," then wait for the second refresh.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

You serious?

The hype is part of the Apple rumors and secrecy, making such websites as this one staying alive. Anyone can make up anything about an Apple product release, and it's gonna spread to all Apple fansites, and people are gonna speculate and ejaculate to no end.

In the end, when the real deal comes, it its a watered down version of all speculations and rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.