MBP 15" vs 17" which one to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am going to be making my plunge into the mac world with the purchase of a new MacBook pro. I was dead set on the 2.53ghz 15" model until the new 2.66ghz 17" model came out. Now I'm back to square one. I like the 15" cause I think it's going to be more portable but then I like the 17" for the new battery and the added screen real estate. The two are basically the same as far as specs so I am basically going to omit them from my decision making process.

Which ever one I do get I will be purchasing a 24" led acd to use at home.

What is your take on this? Or what would you do?

Money really isn't an issue because it's only a few hundred more between the two models.

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

My idea would be to buy the 15, and with the money that you save you can purchase a nice LCD monitor. This way you have the best of both worlds.

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

If only a 'few hundred' wasn't an issue for me...

Anyway, I would go with the 15". Since you're buying the 24" ACD, the extra screen real-estate of the 17" is essentially useless. Besides, have you ever carried a 17" notebook around? It's like carrying a fetus to term.

Seriously, 17" notebooks are anything but portable. Yeah, the extra battery power would be nice, but it's simply not worth the sacrifice of portability.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

if your planning on getting the ACD, then use your 15" at home with your ACD and when your on the road, use your 15"

5. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

do they sell extra battery packs for the 15"? Cause for the price difference between the two I could get a spare battery pack and the extra battery life in the 17" wouldn't make a difference.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I use to have a 17 inch MacBook pro and it was a pain to carry it on my backpack to ride my bike. I the reason why apple made the 17 MacBook is that it's for users who can move thief computer with then at home only... Like your room to your basement ... For protability I'll go with the 15" MacBook pro + the 24" display.

Isn't that awsome that all you have to do is disconnect the cables of the display to mobile your computer...

7. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

Yes they do -.- :D

8. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Buy the 15" and the extra battery. With the ACD, you should be fine.

BTW, what do you use the computer for?

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Get the 17" hi res mbp, at least when you use the 17" mbp in dual monitor mode with the 24" led screen you will get 2 1920x1200 side by side. =D

10. mikekelley macrumors member

Wtf? If carrying the 17" is carrying a fetus to term, carrying a 15" is carrying one and having it born two weeks premature.

Get over it people, the difference is almost negligible. They're both pretty big and the little extra isn't as bad as it's made to be.

11. mikekelley macrumors member

This is the correct answer.

12. Sir Plus macrumors newbie

I faced the exact same dilemma. I went with the 17 for a couple of reasons. First, the high res screen. However, I already have an iMac, so I am not getting another screen to go with the notebook. Secondly, for the ability to support 8g of RAM.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This would be the only reason I would get one. That, and the 15" just isn't as powerful as the 17" for real work. I get more power and more screen for actual work with the 17" in a case that's only a few ounces heavier... yeah count me in.

14. nuccadoc macrumors member

17 for sure

I just returned my 15" unibody (dead on arrival with the hard drive unfortunately). I had a choice to make, get another 15" or wait for a month or so for the 17". I currently have a 17" MBP, and did find that the 15" was a little more portable and lighter in the bag, but not by a huge amount. I also bought a 24 ACD, and like the idea of having 2 hi-res screens together. I also do a lot of work outside of home, so screen real-estate as well as the new battery were the deal makers for me. My 15" was a 2.8 as well, so similar in specs to the 17" now. That is what I did

15. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

If it's your only computer - the 17 inch is the way to go - the real estate and higher resolution are very sweet. The difference in weight and portability are there but are not the burden that many seem to want to make them out to be. I have a 17 inch and transport it a fair bit. Would a 15 be lighter and easier - sure it would. But would I get the bigger screen - no. What's more important to you?

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Look how much more screen space you get with the 17" compared to the 15"

[​IMG]

Plus a faster, newer model processor as standard

Plus a longer (lot longer!!) battery life as standard

Plus better cooling due to extra space

Plus a double quaility screen, with capability for 1.7million colours (doubke 15")

Plus Higher definition screen (almost complete HD, 15" is far lower resolution)

Plus one more usb port

And all this for only $300 more = Bargain.

More Info for you:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

17. JayEllo macrumors newbie

arrrghhhh just when I had my mind made up on a 15", someone has to post this! :)

18. nopassn macrumors regular

I had decided on the 17", then got to thinking the 15" would be more portable, at the cost of some screen real estate... Now I'm back to the 17... waiting Apple... waiting on you...

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

+1 here too, damnit that 17" beast is so gorgeous and I'd love to set the 17" beast up on my new big assed desk.

Only thing keeping me sane and away for now and sticking with my 15" unibody mbp is: [​IMG] Somebody's Watching Me~~

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The image on the 15" display doesn't appear to be filling up the full screen, the bezel is not that big.

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Ok, be real, that is NOT a proper representation of the screen of the 15" MBP.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-15inch.html

The border is a lot smaller than is represented in your photo.

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess the others are arguing the fact that the 17" mbp in that picture is displayed closer to the shot making it look much bigger than the already big size of the 17" and the 15" mbp is scooted away to the right without portraying its real beauty while distorted from the camera angles. :p

But I'm sure with no doubt in my mind that 17" mbp has a much higher contrast/gamut and that 1920x1200 looks even sweeter than the 15" mbp's screen (I've already had the last gen hi resolution 17" led mbp so I know what I'm talking about). =D

25. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Not that, the image is perfectly legitimate, but there is a black border about 1/2"-1" (on the screen itself) as part of that bird image on the 15" screen that makes the screen size seem smaller, it has very little to do with the angle of the screen.